Opinions wanted please...

Opinions wanted please...

Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Hatgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinions wanted please...

Hi all,
thanks for the many replies.
Seems like health insurance is one of the biggest concerns...!
We're spoilt over here with everything inc. presciptions handed out free!

I'm certainly not rich but have saved a few thousand from a photography job that I've been doing for a friend's company for years,
so in worst case scenario I can at least afford to pay bills for a few months, or to get home.

A friend just suggested that I could apply to do an 'Au pair' gap year and get settled somewhere in the states for a year, with the aim of looking for a job once the year is over.
Includes room and board and flights and insurance AND I would get a small wage... - this one only charges about £300!

http://www.aupaircare.com/landing-pa...FRGY2Aod6DoSmw

They do require 200 hours of professional childcare experience, which I happen to have, having worked over 150 hours in a childminder's this summer
(I knew my workaholicism would pay off someday!) Only downside to this is that it seems a little less independant! (that, and I'm stuck there for a year with no option to leave )
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:04 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is insurance companies seem to be cutting back more and more...thus making their policies more restrictive. So what may be covered today may not be covered next month. I found this when trying to arrange travel insurance for my MIL. During the last year or so many UK companies have stopped insuring 65's or over.
Insurance bastards - folks who'll rent you an umbrella, so long as it's not raining.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:44 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
  • Where in Florida are you planning on going?
Originally Posted by Rete
Why does that make a difference?
Because Florida is a big place. Her employment, housing, transportation and/or schooling options could be limited by where in Florida she chooses to live.

• What Florida university are you thinking of attending?
Why does that make a difference?
See above.

• Do you know how you're going to pay for everything? This includes housing, food, basic necessities, transportation, health insurance, auto insurance, taxes, etc.
Believe those are the things she is interested in learning about so that she can make the decision.
I know that she understands that she'll have expenses. But HOW is she going to pay for everything? Does she have $10k in savings? Are mom and dad going to pitch in to help her financially? Does she plan to get a job in order to pay-as-she-goes?

• What kind of work do you expect to find where you'll be living in Florida? What's the unemployment rate currently like in that area?
  • You mentioned that your friend would let you live with him until you get a job. How much will it cost to get your own place there, since you'll have to do that at some point?
Isn't this part of your other point?
Um, no. I hadn't mentioned those things earlier.

• Do you rely on any prescription medications, such as birth control or asthma inhalers, which could be expensive to refill in the States?
  • Do you drive? Be aware that auto insurance for 18-year-olds is extremely expensive. If you don't drive, does this Florida location have a decent and affordable public transportation system?
  • Are you the type of person who makes friends easily, or do you have a hard time coming out of your shell?
Is this a requirement for emigrating? One makes friends at one's own pace. Talking to strangers should not be a pre-requisite to emigrating.
Regarding prescription medication: No, it's not an immigration requirement. However, she should not expect to just pop down to the local pharmacy or GP and pick up such prescriptions for a handful of bucks. Medication is expensive and should be considered whenever one thinks of living abroad.

Regarding driving/transportation:
Many people in the UK are used to using public transport (buses, trains or metro) or at least being able to easily walk to work and/or shopping. In most of the US, it's not like that. Given her age, she'll need to make sure she can get around wherever she'll be living in Florida, both practically and financially speaking.

Regarding making friends: One's personality and ability to sink-or-swim in a totally new environment are VERY important to living in a different country. Its importance should not be underestimated or belittled. Even in familiar settings, I'm the type of person who stands in a corner at social gatherings, as I feel awkward mingling with others. When I moved to Chile at age 22, I knew no one and had an extremely difficult time immersing myself and making friends. This led to a lot of anxiety, depression and homesickness -- which of course just made me retreat even further. It took over a year before I felt "normal" and had a few people I could consider friends. If I was a more outgoing person, then I have no doubt that my first year in Chile would contain a lot more happy memories than actually exist for me.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 29th 2009, 11:54 pm

Regarding making friends: One's personality and ability to sink-or-swim in a totally new environment are VERY important to living in a different country. Its importance should not be underestimated or belittled. Even in familiar settings, I'm the type of person who stands in a corner at social gatherings, as I feel awkward mingling with others. When I moved to Chile at age 22, I knew no one and had an extremely difficult time immersing myself and making friends. This led to a lot of anxiety, depression and homesickness -- which of course just made me retreat even further. It took over a year before I felt "normal" and had a few people I could consider friends. If I was a more outgoing person, then I have no doubt that my first year in Chile would contain a lot more happy memories than actually exist for me.
Awesome multi quoting!

Being outgoing is not the whole of it either, though. I'm mister outgoing and, while I have a bit of a crew here now, I struggled at first because society in the TX Panhandle did not provide opportunities for me to be outgoing. Once you ID the first opportunity, others emerge naturally, though. It's a bit like freelance work, in that respect.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
... well you can at least buy a beer after getting raped for renting a car at Enterprise.
I think this comment is totally inappropriate.

Ian
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

As a university student, I can say is I'm not sure what the federal requirements for the Stafford/Perkins loans are, but I know definitely that since you are a USC you won't pay international tuition but you will be paying out-of-state tuition (whihc in FL is about $15,000 a year plus room and board and other expenses) for every year that you attend uni. To qualify for the in-state rate, you have to show that you are settled in Florida not for tuition purposes. Examples might be voting registration in a Florida county, title and tags of your car registered in Florida, property taxes paid, rent receipts, utility bills in your name, etc, and a full-time job. You have to fill out a form that says I want to be charged the in-state rate and you may have your request approved or denied, depending on whether the official reviewing your petition deems it that you are living in Florida for the sole purpose of NOT skipping out on out-of-state tuition. How do I know this? I've looked into it Even though I have lived in PA for a long time, I still have to show this and that to satisfy the university officials.

As far as financial aid goes, federal hmmm, don't know if you're eligible from the outset to get federal aid, my guess is yes but talk to the financial aid counselor at your intended uni. State aid is the same as tuition, you have to have lived a year in Florida, satisfying their residency requirements of course, ot be eligible for state grants and such

www.fafsa.ed.gov is the site you want to look at. Plus www.studentaid.ed.gov

Lot of info to digest so I hope you got that. Course this is all second nature to me since I'm a uni student myself. Any more questions feel free to PM me
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:34 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hatgirl
HG - several years ago I was in a similar boat and crossroad; I too was born and lived in MD, am also a dually and turned up here when I was 21/22 with only 2 suitcases to my name. Originally I came to finish school and in a nutshell, I stayed.

Everyone here so far have posted and touched on very important topics and I think its really important to learn from others, both successes and failings so that you can make an informed decision about what you want to do. A positive frame of mind is important but don't let it overshadow and overlook the reality of such a move and important things to consider and plan for. If asked would I do it all over again - yes I would, would I change anything? Yes and no.

If Uni is your thought and plan over here, then another avenue to do homework before anything is Residency and in-state tuition etc. When I first arrived here, I was considered out of state status so tuition was VERY expensive. After a year, I was able to be eligible for instate tuition which saved $$$. In hindsight, I would have taken a year off, settled in overhere, did stuff to boost university applications etc. Your A-levels will be taken into consideration and translated into the US system, ie somesort of credit will be given. Another thing to consider and explore with the Uni's ahead of time is their enrollment procedures... can you strategize a bit ahead of time to your merit and benefit. What I had found out once (and it may not be the case everywhere) but sometimes overseas students have a better chance to get admitted to schools than their US counterparts because many schools have quotas and allocated numbers of fill in order to qualify for federal grants and funding etc. (which is often why they loove out of state and overseas students because they can make $$ of them and fill their required numbers. In essence, is it easier to apply as a UK student or better to obtain residency and then apply. Talking to various admission offices may be able to clue you in abit.

Student loans tend to be the norm here but remember, you'll be paying for them for years to come!! Assuming you're interested in school overhere, the world is your oyster as you have the freedom to choose where you want to go and establishing residency and instate tuition where ever you want (assuming its not private uni's and/or ivy league etc). Bottom line, don't out rule other areas of the US besides FL in regards to the schools. Yes FL has good schools, as do other states... give thought to the degree and graduating credentials down the road!!

Culture shock - you will experience it to some sort of degree. The US is a vast country and have subtle 'ways of life' depending where you live. eg the MidWest is quite a laid back lifestyle and it wasn't something I was used to and to a degree it blindsighted me and it got the best of me.

Other important topics have been mentioned.. so 'nuff said! Look into it further.

Its great you have an opportunity to follow your dream - and I say go for it!! Do your diligence and be realistic at the same time! As they say, "Bad decisions make for interesting stories" so don't be automatically be put off. Everyone here (expatwise) are in a position and situation where many would love to experience themselves... the best thing about this forum is that you can learn from everyone here because they have very insightful information to share b/c people here have walked the path ahead of you!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved to Chile at age 22, I knew no one and had an extremely difficult time immersing myself and making friends. This led to a lot of anxiety, depression and homesickness -- which of course just made me retreat even further. It took over a year before I felt "normal" and had a few people I could consider friends. If I was a more outgoing person, then I have no doubt that my first year in Chile would contain a lot more happy memories than actually exist for me.

~ Jenney
The use of bold is not necessary and was uncalled for. Not everyone has to be you or have your experiences, Jenney. You need the security apparently of knowing all the ifs, whens, whys and wherefores. Not everyone does.

What you did in Chile is not necessarily what she will do in the US or will encounter in the US. She is not going to a third world country nor is she going to a country where the primarily language is not English.

If you were an intervert that was your issue and is it not necessary to foster your personality issues onto someone else.

You did duplicate your questions in several instances which I pointed out. And you pointed out many valid ones that she may not have thought about.

She quite appears to be a level headed young adult and not one to go off willy nilly on an adventure without first learning all she can. She asked for opinions not for mandates from her mother.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think this comment is totally inappropriate.

Ian
you think that their rates for anyone under 25 are reasonable? No one else will chuck a rental at under 25s for the most part, certainly not for those under 21.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The use of bold is not necessary and was uncalled for. Not everyone has to be you or have your experiences, Jenney. You need the security apparently of knowing all the ifs, whens, whys and wherefores. Not everyone does.

What you did in Chile is not necessarily what she will do in the US or will encounter in the US. She is not going to a third world country nor is she going to a country where the primarily language is not English.

If you were an intervert that was your issue and is it not necessary to foster your personality issues onto someone else.

You did duplicate your questions in several instances which I pointed out. And you pointed out many valid ones that she may not have thought about.

She quite appears to be a level headed young adult and not one to go off willy nilly on an adventure without first learning all she can. She asked for opinions not for mandates from her mother.
Rete - c'mon. I think Jenney gave excellent advice from the perspective of someone who also ventured to a new country as a youth. Will the OP's experience be the same? No, of course not, but that doesn't negate Jenney's advice. Your replies sound very defensive, even a bit hostile and I don't understand why.

I was impressed by the thought Jenney put into her post and the advice she shared with the OP, advice the OP requested for that matter. I gave her karma saying so. Don't shut her down please.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is insurance companies seem to be cutting back more and more...thus making their policies more restrictive. So what may be covered today may not be covered next month. I found this when trying to arrange travel insurance for my MIL. During the last year or so many UK companies have stopped insuring 65's or over.
Really, that will be a big problem for a lot of visitors.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Rete - c'mon. I think Jenney gave excellent advice from the perspective of someone who also ventured to a new country as a youth. Will the OP's experience be the same? No, of course not, but that doesn't negate Jenney's advice. Your replies sound very defensive, even a bit hostile and I don't understand why.

I was impressed by the thought Jenney put into her post and the advice she shared with the OP, advice the OP requested for that matter. I gave her karma saying so. Don't shut her down please.
Very much agree.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Going back on topic, Florida is a nice state because tuition is cheap, but asides from the University of Florida, if rankings are your main concern, I would not go to Florida. Course 99% of people that wanna live in Florida want that subtropical/tropical weather so
Old Nov 30th 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Very much agree.
Me too, FWIW.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:39 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not an option these days...one thing to consider about studying in the UK, to qualify for LEA funding, you've got to be resident in the EU for the 3 years previous to going to uni.
It wasn't LEA funding (and it wasn't that long ago) - it was a US federal loan, a stafford I think. But maybe there is a similar US residency requirement for those, I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.