Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

opening a US bank account from UK

opening a US bank account from UK

Old May 27th 2003, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Default opening a US bank account from UK

We are living in UK, but make regular payments to school loans in USA. Currently we arrage a foreign draft in US$ each month, but have been looking into opening a US bank account. Has anyone successfully opened a bank account in US with a UK address?

Do we need to wait until our next visit to US or can this be done online?
Old May 27th 2003, 8:09 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening a US bank account from UK

Originally posted by John Murray
We are living in UK, but make regular payments to school loans in USA. Currently we arrage a foreign draft in US$ each month, but have been looking into opening a US bank account. Has anyone successfully opened a bank account in US with a UK address?

You cant do it online unless you have a SSN, we opened one online (actually over the phone as online wont accept foreign addresses) and the only reason we could do it was because Ellen had a SSN, I was not allowed to do anything with the account until I sent them proof of my gc and then ssn. The woman on the phone said that if you had just walked in off the street with a passport there would not have been a problem.

Good Luck

Patrick
Old May 27th 2003, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Wife is US citizen, so SSN is no problem. Although I guess it would have to be in her name only, instead of a joint account (me UK citizen wiht no US SSN)
Any banks in particular or do most allow this?
Thanks.
Old May 27th 2003, 9:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Wife is US citizen, so SSN is no problem. Although I guess it would have to be in her name only, instead of a joint account (me UK citizen wiht no US SSN)
Thanks.
How about approaching a few of the big big banks in the state the school is located in?

NC Penguin
Old May 27th 2003, 10:45 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
The bank we used was Wachovia, but all big banks will have the same rules (did Sarah just something to that effect?) and as long as you have a SSN you should be golden. As I say ours was joint (because I we where emmigrating) but I had no access to the account until I could show I was legally moving to the US so it looks like it would just in yours wifes name.

Patrick
Old May 28th 2003, 11:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Try Citibank. They have British branches and a huge network of branches across America. I hear that they'll let you open a US$ account in the UK that'll give you access to their US banking network.

When it comes to opening an account in the US it has just become much harder, even if you are a US resident, because of the recently implemented USA PATRIOT act, that defines the very high level of information that you have to be able to prove before you are deemed legally able to open an account.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2003 at 2:06 am.
Old May 28th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Wachovia, has at least one branch in London, possibly still trading as First Union, may be worth giving them a try
Old May 28th 2003, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Wachovia, has at least one branch in London, possibly still trading as First Union, may be worth giving them a try
Old May 29th 2003, 1:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simon bland
I think that the Wachovia branch has always been Wachovia in London, but no, don't bother trying to contact them, it is a commercial and investment banking operation only, there is no retail "shop front" and there is no way for them to provide service to private individuals.

This is also true of many banks from the US, Canada, and around the world - they have a London branch, but only as a wholesale/ trading office to take advantage of the London financial and money markets, not as a customer service center.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 29th 2003 at 2:07 am.
Old May 29th 2003, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

What about HKSB, they have branches in UK & USA.
Reg. FRank R.
Old May 29th 2003, 10:43 am

Originally posted by frrussre
What about HKSB, they have branches in UK & USA.
Reg. FRank R.
HSBC?

They do have branches here and in the UK, but its US branch network is almost entirely confined to New York state, plus two or three in Florida, and in California, and I think one or two in Pennsylvania.
Old May 29th 2003, 2:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Surely as banks are governed by the laws of the country they are in and not by the bank itself it is not in your interest to open an account in the UK with an American bank. It is the same as opening an account with a different bank. You cannot do things inter-bank internationally surely.

Just a thought
Old May 29th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

John, what if you open a $ account at your bank UK. Then can send $ checks to pay your bills USA.

Barclays Bank, does or did have $ accounts. I had one for business many years ago. Though not sure if you can get one for personel use. Or if they would want a large minimum of cash.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 29th 2003, 4:12 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Surely as banks are governed by the laws of the country they are in and not by the bank itself ...... You cannot do things inter-bank internationally surely.
You are thinking along the right lines, but there are banks that have international business, either through a branch (an office held within the same legal entity), subsidiary (separate legal entity), or affiliate (typically some sort of joint venture, used in countries that have restrictive banking laws that prohibit overseas ownership of a bank, e.g. many countries in the Middle East, and Africa) that can and do offer international banking.

I know that Citibank offers US$ accounts in the UK that can be accessed in the US, Germany and the Far East, and HSBC does too. There may be others, but I can't think of any other American banks that have UK retail branches, or vice versa.
Old May 29th 2003, 4:15 pm

Originally posted by frrussre
John, what if you open a $ account at your bank UK. Then can send $ checks to pay your bills USA.

Barclays Bank, does or did have $ accounts. I had one for business many years ago. Though not sure if you can get one for personel use. Or if they would want a large minimum of cash.
Reg. Frank R.
American banks will cause problems in collecting on a US$ cheque drawn on a bank outside the US/ Canada. They will charge for the service and it will take time.

A US$ account drawn on a US bank would work out much easier, if it is possible to open the account!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.