Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a US bank account

Opening a US bank account

Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice
Question Opening a US bank account

Hi all

I'm still a foreign national, living in the US, just got married and starting the paperwork for AOS. Is there any way to open a standard US checking account without a SSN?

thank you petalsf
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a US bank account

yes - we opened ours on day 2 - way before we had ssn's. our realtor (but could be any friend or relative) just took us to their branch and introduced us and it was all done very quicklt. we gave them the ssn's when they finally arrived but had been using the cheques and debit side already.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petalsf
Hi all

I'm still a foreign national, living in the US, just got married and starting the paperwork for AOS. Is there any way to open a standard US checking account without a SSN?

thank you petalsf
hiya and welcome to BE

yep it's quite easy to open a bank account without a SS number it seems these days esp with bank of america...http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...44790520070213
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Opening a US bank account

Also, do a search for past threads on how to open a bank account in the US. Try this and the Trailer Park forums.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

petalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nicepetalsf is just really nice

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I just spoke to the branch manager of the little local bank close by and she's willing to open an account for me today.

petalsf
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Called my local bank today, spoke to the lovely bank manager, went in and filled in all the forms with her with no SSN and now have a basic US checking account with online account management. Very happy, it makes living here and waiting for my AOS much easier.

Cheers
petalsf