Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a catering business?

Opening a catering business?

Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a catering business?

Originally Posted by mee
well, i didn't ask "which state is the best for food service industry"?

but nevertheless i respect your opinion..........................
That's true, my bad. Here are your questions, which are all pretty basic for someone who has done "plenty of research":

1. which state has the most lenient and relaxed rules about opening a business, i.e. licence, permit, and food preparations etc.

2. i heard British things are popular over there? is that true?

3. i was thinking about places like texas, oklahoma, utah, florida or georgia, do these states have relaxed regulations about food and preparation? compared to other states?

4. do you think people from these states will like British/gourmet food?

5. so all states have completely different regulations?

6. would you advise preparing all food in a truck and distributing it from there, as oppose to renting a kitchen premises?

7. would the food truck thing be legal?

8. would i need a licence?

9. how long would it take to get licence?

10. how do i get a license?

11. would i rent a kitchen premises and then let the people issuing the license inspect for cleanliness etc.???? or what?

Rene
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee
do you recommend any particular state?
One with lots of customers.

BTW. The "plenty of research" you've done should have already told you about the reputation and likely demand for British foods in the US.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:16 pm
mee
Banned

mee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One with lots of customers.

BTW. The "plenty of research" you've done should have already told you about the reputation and likely demand for British foods in the US.

I don't necessarily plan on selling British food, that was just an initial idea, if you have any ideas i would love to hear?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mee
I don't necessarily plan on selling British food, that was just an initial idea, if you have any ideas i would love to hear?
Decide where you and your USC spouse want to move to in the USA, specifically which city. Then research what kind of food-related business might work well in the city in which you intend to live, if that's the kind of work you want to do.

In previous posts, you also mentioned getting a job in various fields such as social worker, sociologist, and business administrator/manager. You have a degree (not sure in which field), but no direct work experience in your field of study. Just curious why you are thinking now of not pursuing a career in your field?

Keep in mind that it can take years for a food-related business to get well-established. You probably won't show a profit for a few years. With your wife having lived in the UK for a while, and you being a new immigrant, make sure you have enough in savings to tide you over until one of you gets established with a decent job, including health insurance.

Your best bet would be to pinpoint some cities in the USA where you *think* you'd like to live, then come for a visit and do some hands-on research and job hunting. Then you'll have a better idea of what will work for your future and what won't. Once you have a good idea of what might work for you (specifically), come on back and ask more specific questions, and perhaps some folks here who live in that particular state/city can guide you further.

Right now, your questions since you've joined have been all over the place, without a clear idea of what you intend to do, or would even LIKE to do.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 26th 2013 at 10:12 pm. Reason: typo
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just at the state level.

Where I live, if I drove a food truck to the end of the road and turned left, I would be in Harris county, which would require annual ongoing inspections, 3yearly re qualification of food handling certificates, overnight parking of the truck at an approved commissary etc etc.

If I drove to the same junction and turned right, I'd be in Fort Bend county, which basically keeps giving you a license until your food poisoning body count gets into double figures, then they shut you down.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:40 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that you're allowing this troll to lead you on, yet again.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804726

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804911

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807024
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
It's not just at the state level.

Where I live, if I drove a food truck to the end of the road and turned left, I would be in Harris county, which would require annual ongoing inspections, 3yearly re qualification of food handling certificates, overnight parking of the truck at an approved commissary etc etc.

If I drove to the same junction and turned right, I'd be in Fort Bend county, which basically keeps giving you a license until your food poisoning body count gets into double figures, then they shut you down.

Of course get on 288 to Brazoria County and you will be hit with every kind of inspection imaginable, even the water you use will have to be tested every month (which keeps me in a job)
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:31 am
mee
Banned

mee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

Excuse me, how am i a troll? care to elaborate

What did you expect to achieve by posting this? please tell me, it's fascinating

It's fairly pathetic that you have absolutely nothing better to do with your life than search for my posts, and make unnecessary comments.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:03 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Of course get on 288 to Brazoria County and you will be hit with every kind of inspection imaginable, even the water you use will have to be tested every month (which keeps me in a job)
Is there much in the way of inspection required for cooking roadkill?

I like proper back bacon. I'd like a British bacon sarnie food van. Must have either stotties or Warburtons and lurpak butter. Why don't you do that - there isn't one of those in Houston.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Is there much in the way of inspection required for cooking roadkill? .....
Possibly more than for barbecuing small pets.

Fluffy pets eat at Ecuadorean festival

..... I like proper back bacon. I'd like a British bacon sarnie food van. Must have either stotties or Warburtons and lurpak butter. Why don't you do that - there isn't one of those in Houston.
You could run two shifts. Bacon sarnies for breakfast and lunch, and then proper Turkish kebabs with chili sauce from 6pm until the early hours!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2013 at 1:18 am.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there much in the way of inspection required for cooking roadkill?

I like proper back bacon. I'd like a British bacon sarnie food van. Must have either stotties or Warburtons and lurpak butter. Why don't you do that - there isn't one of those in Houston.
There are so many Roach-Coaches around I'm not sure if just a bacon buttie one would pull in the customers, plus you would need some pretty potent "fixins" to compete with the TexMex vans
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:16 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many Roach-Coaches around I'm not sure if just a bacon buttie one would pull in the customers, plus you would need some pretty potent "fixins" to compete with the TexMex vans
Do you not like bacon?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Do you not like bacon?
Is the Pope a Catholic

Of course I do...just don't think Houston is ready for a Bacon Buttie Van
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:26 am
The worse half of Weeze

Is the Pope a Catholic

Of course I do...just don't think Houston is ready for a Bacon Buttie Van
If you build it they will come.

Did Kevin Costner teach you nothing?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 1:33 am
Account Closed

If you build it they will come.

Did Kevin Costner teach you nothing?

So what you're saying is if I get a van and park it outside Minute Maid Park then when all the Astros have lined up for sarnies the fans will follow??

Hmm..might work. Well done done son, this time next year we'll be millionaires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.