Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

opening a bank account

opening a bank account

Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

aaronjamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default opening a bank account

hey guys, i've been in the usa on the k1 visa for two months now. marriage license done, just received my social security today (issue date january 22). i just tried signing up for a checking account with ing direct only to be denied. i called the customer service hotline and they told me as they are an internet only checking service, they need to verify details with other departments and as i have only had a ssn for a few days, i'd need to give it six to twelve months before trying again with them
i need to open a bank account, any experience from k1ers where they got accepted? or will it be easier to open an account with a bank that has branches?
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening a bank account

Originally Posted by aaronjamie
or will it be easier to open an account with a bank that has branches?
Just find a convenient local bank and take your passport with visa, maybe proof of address if you have any, and SSN card. They might just use the number but there was some issue with mine and they wanted to see the physical card.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Just find a convenient local bank and take your passport with visa, maybe proof of address if you have any, and SSN card. They might just use the number but there was some issue with mine and they wanted to see the physical card.
This. Basically you have no credit history so they put your number in and it says no. Being there in person helps. Preferably the local bank is the same one your spouse goes to and they can go with.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

hey guys, i've been in the usa on the k1 visa for two months now. marriage license done, just received my social security today (issue date january 22). i just tried signing up for a checking account with ing direct only to be denied. i called the customer service hotline and they told me as they are an internet only checking service, they need to verify details with other departments and as i have only had a ssn for a few days, i'd need to give it six to twelve months before trying again with them
i need to open a bank account, any experience from k1ers where they got accepted? or will it be easier to open an account with a bank that has branches?
I opened my Bank of America account (and a joint account) in person, with a British bank card, my British passport, No SS number and no green card.
Opening a joint account with your new wife will also give you a piece of evidence for your AOS
Lx
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

thanks guys, she's with navy federal so we'll look into going there soon
Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Any local bank will open an account for you.

You only need a SSN for a savings account, so you should have been able to open the account without one if it was just a checking account.

You might need to ask for a supervisor and it might be more hassle for them if you didn't have a SSN, mainly because they probably use it as a defacto ID number and the backend software can't handle another piece of ID, but your passport or drivers license number would have been acceptable. All they need to do is verify you are who you say you are.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

well i've been researching and apparently ing direct don't run checks for opening saving accounts, but they do for checking accounts
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in your position, I went into a Bank of America, to ask what would be needed to open an account.

I walked out with an account.

You need proof of ID & Address and that's about it.

ING, being online only, relies on proof of another account, hence your problem.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

think if i called ing tomorrow and offered to show them id, fax across passport scans etc, they might make an exception?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this Time article - including their suggestion you also consider Ally Bank ( another online entity with no fees etc.):

http://business.time.com/2011/06/17/...-to-freak-out/
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Why the necessity for ING? You could have had an account by now!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

think if i called ing tomorrow and offered to show them id, fax across passport scans etc, they might make an exception?
No. I think if you had a BOA account or similar, plus the above, they might consider it. But I doubt it.

I had ING in UK and tried to transfer/reopen in US and it failed. Don't remember why specifically, but I learned to live without them. You will too, in time.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you're unable to open an accnt. at ING because they no longer exist?

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...pital-one-360/
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:43 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by MMcD
Maybe you're unable to open an accnt. at ING because they no longer exist?

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...pital-one-360/
Wel,l that is different then. I have a UK Capital One credit card account. I paid it off years ago and have +5gbp balance. At some point it became "not possible" to renew my card in USA, so essentially the account is closed, but I still get online statements and a monthly reminder by email.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICH
Wel,l that is different then. I have a UK Capital One credit card account. I paid it off years ago and have +5gbp balance. At some point it became "not possible" to renew my card in USA, so essentially the account is closed, but I still get online statements and a monthly reminder by email.
Too funny....(it's as perplexing as ING/Capitol One):
I thought I was responding to the OP
well.....brick and mortar, brick and mortar - the REAL world answer to VIRTUAL confusion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.