Reload this Page >

Open UK Bank account from the USA

Open UK Bank account from the USA

Old May 20th 2010, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

AlbaRN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open UK Bank account from the USA

Open UK Bank account from the USA.

Anyone know if this can be done? If you are from the UK living in the USA.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open UK Bank account from the USA

hsbc premier service or try natwest Gibralter
Old May 21st 2010, 4:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, no. You can get something with HSBC Premier ($100,000 account relationship/balance required) and sometimes with Citibank Private Bank, but absent a UK residence it's pretty much a royal pain in the butt. (I've tried, even to the point of having some private bankers involved, but it's a non-starter).

I now have HSBC Premier and will likely use that for a UK account (I hope). I tried to set one up with Citibank Private Bank but they said they no longer do it due to the onerous money-laundering / reporting requirements.

There are some Isle of Mann and Jersey accounts that allow £ balances though.
Old May 21st 2010, 12:41 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
There are some Isle of Mann and Jersey accounts that allow £ balances though.
There's still the issue of opening an account though. I checked recently for someone else regarding opening an account where I have one (IOM account, multi-currency, etc.) and now that bank will only take an IOM driving licence as proof of identity. The same bank, if a Jersey account, will take a jersey driving licence or a passport, but IOM won't even take a passport now it seems.

Things are tightening up all over...
Old May 21st 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look at the Lloyds Bank International Account which describes itself as perfect for Expats?

http://www.fairinvestment.co.uk/News...-18470607.html
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

RalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the roughRalphJolly is a jewel in the rough

My experience of banking in Gibraltar and that of several acquaintances is that it is a complete nightmare. Avoid at all costs is my advice. Maybe the previous poster is the exception that proves the rule, but I have not come across a single person so far that recommends Gibraltar banks.
If you get so far as seriously considering this option, I can go into detail.
Old May 29th 2010, 8:12 am
Just Joined

intlmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlbaRN
Open UK Bank account from the USA.

Anyone know if this can be done? If you are from the UK living in the USA.
Citibank - www.citibank.co.uk - although I wouldn't keep the account once you can get to the UK and open a proper account as Citibank are a bit of a nightmare.

or one of the banks in Jersey, but they charge a monthly fee.
Old May 29th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Citibank (UK) allow non UK residents to open accounts.

Applying for your new Citi current account:
To proceed with your application, you must be able to confirm that:

* You are aged 18 or over
* You are not already an existing customer (already a customer?)
* You are a UK resident

Last edited by cranston; May 29th 2010 at 7:46 pm.
Old May 29th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

So on the same subject, are there any legal implications for keeping your UK account open once you have left the UK? I still have my account active over there along with credit cards. My salary is no longer paid in as I am paid over here in the US, I do however still own a property in the UK and make mortgage payments from it. I guess I am no longer considered a UK resident, am I actually allowed to keep it open?
Old May 29th 2010, 10:17 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
So on the same subject, are there any legal implications for keeping your UK account open once you have left the UK? I still have my account active over there along with credit cards. My salary is no longer paid in as I am paid over here in the US, I do however still own a property in the UK and make mortgage payments from it. I guess I am no longer considered a UK resident, am I actually allowed to keep it open?
It's up to the bank's own rules, but many are ok. My UK HSBC accounts have remained open with minimal activity for the 5+ years I have been here and carry my US address for mailing.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
I think as long as you have a UK mailing address most banks turn a blind eye. There may be some tax implications if you earn interest above a certain level. If you don't declare it on your US taxes they may consider it evasion of some sort. Also certain tax exempt accounts such as ISAs are totally out of bounds for non-residents. Perhaps check with an accountant.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:33 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The problem as it was explained to me is that when you open an account, the bank has to 'know' who you are and have proof of your residence. This is part of the anti-money laundering laws. After that point, they don't really care (well, some might). I don't think it is 'illegal' to have a bank account after you leave the UK, but it may be against the bank's internal guidelines (but if they don't know...well...)
Old May 30th 2010, 2:37 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think as long as you have a UK mailing address most banks turn a blind eye. There may be some tax implications if you earn interest above a certain level. If you don't declare it on your US taxes they may consider it evasion of some sort. Also certain tax exempt accounts such as ISAs are totally out of bounds for non-residents. Perhaps check with an accountant.
Nothing to do with a 'blind eye' - there's nothing illegal or against the rules here. There are a few banks who decide they can't be arsed with it, but most seem ok regardless of address based upon BE posts.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:55 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I opened an account with Wachovia from the UK over the telephone
but im pretty sure, the same cant be done in the US, (open uk bank account in the US)
Old Aug 6th 2013, 11:27 am

A very old thread but after several years of trying I've now successfully opened a UK bank account while living overseas. I did it with HSBC Premier's service (I have accounts with them in HK and the US) and they helped set one up in the UK which was approved after about a month of paperwork and verification.

So it can be done if you are looking for one.