Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It only took 2 years!

It only took 2 years!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default It only took 2 years!

I have lived here a little over two years and the other night was the very first time I lost it with someone taking the piss out of my accent. I said something to a girl I work with a couple of weeks ago and she thought I said something completely different and she has taken the piss ever since. I am all for a laugh but sometimes I can totally sick of people taking the piss... not to mention the morons that try to speak with an english accent.

OK end of rant... stepping down off my soap box.

Ash
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It only took 2 years!

hehe...well i know how that goes...just tell 'em to kiss your chuddies...that'll leave them with a great WTF look
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:01 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Bob,are you Scottish?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Bob,are you Scottish?
nope....well on the other end of the land there
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

greasehog is on a distinguished road

I know that feeling Ash!
Yeah they can't do a british accent to save their lives, but they do a good aussie accent tho.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have lived here a little over two years and the other night was the very first time I lost it with someone taking the piss out of my accent. I said something to a girl I work with a couple of weeks ago and she thought I said something completely different and she has taken the piss ever since. I am all for a laugh but sometimes I can totally sick of people taking the piss... not to mention the morons that try to speak with an english accent.

Ash
what did you say?

did you do the north of England proud and swear like a welder?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:01 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
what did you say?

I find swearing in Welsh gets the best blank stare!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I find swearing in Welsh gets the best blank stare!
and that's from the Welsh
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:24 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

Ash
Have to sympathise with you. It was my son's birthday party last week and one of the things I commented on to my husband was that fact that it was sooo nice that not one of the parents mentioned my accent. Some of them looked a bit surprised when I spoke to them (you know that look!) But it was just so nice that nobody mentioned it. I almost felt normal.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 6:30 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Actually, it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe I'm just used to it after all these years. It's never going to stop, so I figure why let it piss me off?

Some of the reactions are actually quite amusing.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:56 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Yep, I know what you mean - I'm working as a teller in a drive through at a bank at the moment while I wait to get into Nursing School, and half the
f$%#ng time the customers don't understand me !!
One old bat customer even told me to speak English !!!!
They never understand me when I go through a drive through for fast food either - I end up having to put on an 'American' accent to get my food order filled correctly.
If someone asks me if I'm Australian (which happens ALL the time) I just say "No, but don't worry - I get all you Canadians mixed up too !!"
The Americans hate it !!!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad I'm not the only person in this country that has trouble making themselves undeerstood going through a drive through When my kids were little I went through a Burger King and asked for a 'junior whopper and fries' and they thought I said 'two senior doctor peppers'!

Then the woman got all nasty with me and told me to pull round to the window as I couldn't speak English, therefore, she couldn't understand me! It's all very frustrating, now when I have to go through one, I make sure I have a person with an American accent in the car with me, make them lean over me and yell the order...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

ordering fish and chips is frustrating two...anyone have much luck with "two fish and chips please"?...
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
what did you say?

nope i basically said it was not funny anymore, infact I told her it was boring which did please her too much.

the original conversation went... 'I didn't realise you worked up here' and she thought I said 'I didn't realise you worked on the pier' how you derive that from up here is beyond me. In all fairness it was really all her... she just coped it for everyone that has been taking the piss lately.

A few months back I had to take my daughter to the docs office (just for a routine checkup) When I called in to make the appointment I had made it for her to be seen by the family doc... When I arrived at the office the receptionist told me I was seeing the doctors PA... I asked why and she told me that was who I had set my appointment up with and that I would have been told on the phone that I would be seeing the PA... I explained that I had set the appointment up to see the doctor not the PA and she argued that I had set it up with the PA but I 'wouldn't have understood who the PA was' (I know she meant because I was not american). I really wanted to slap that stupid bitich's face

And yes that is another thing that bugs me... americans that think I am stupid just because I am forgein.

Ash
Old Feb 5th 2005, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I'm so glad I'm not the only person in this country that has trouble making themselves undeerstood going through a drive through When my kids were little I went through a Burger King and asked for a 'junior whopper and fries' and they thought I said 'two senior doctor peppers'!

Then the woman got all nasty with me and told me to pull round to the window as I couldn't speak English, therefore, she couldn't understand me! It's all very frustrating, now when I have to go through one, I make sure I have a person with an American accent in the car with me, make them lean over me and yell the order...

Well, did you enjoy your two senior dr peppers?

And yes that is another thing that bugs me... americans that think I am stupid just because I am forgein.
You should straighten those poor bastards out and inform them that your stupidity has nothing to do with the fact that your forgein. That'll learn' em.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 5th 2005 at 5:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.