British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a roast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/only-thing-i-have-craved-since-moving-america-damn-good-curry-roast-357937/)

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 4:45 pm

The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a roast

I recently learnt the art of making Gumbo, which is really nice. I was wondering if this is the same basis you use to make curry. Obviously coming from the uk, there is no need to make curry at home, a simple phone call to my local takeaway would take of all those problems, here i have only heard of one or two curry houses around the area, noen of which i have checked out yet. Therefore, i was thinking of attempting (and attempting being the operative word) to make a curry. Has anyone got any good advice and/pr recipes i could try? I do eat meat these days but a veggie curry is still good in my books.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, they dont sell pre-frozen roast potatoes! I'll have to learn to make my own!

Big D Feb 27th 2006 4:58 pm

Re: The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a roast

Originally Posted by Thackattack
I recently learnt the art of making Gumbo, which is really nice. I was wondering if this is the same basis you use to make curry. Obviously coming from the uk, there is no need to make curry at home, a simple phone call to my local takeaway would take of all those problems, here i have only heard of one or two curry houses around the area, noen of which i have checked out yet. Therefore, i was thinking of attempting (and attempting being the operative word) to make a curry. Has anyone got any good advice and/pr recipes i could try? I do eat meat these days but a veggie curry is still good in my books.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, they dont sell pre-frozen roast potatoes! I'll have to learn to make my own!

Make - you can do a roast here like anywhere else - if you cant be arsed the British Emporium in Grapevine sells frozen spuds and yorkshire puds too - for a price!!!

There are quite a few Indian restaurants in Las Colinas - more authentic than the ones back home but pretty good - and there are a couple in Addison too.

Bob Feb 27th 2006 5:02 pm

Re: The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a r

Bit of a bugger as I still ain't got my external hard drive back, so don't have my bookmarks...but anyway...there are a few threads on here that you might get lucky and find...and if your in NY, there's a great place called Brick Lane Curry House, apparantly....doesn't help you to much though :D

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 5:06 pm

Re: The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a r

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit of a bugger as I still ain't got my external hard drive back, so don't have my bookmarks...but anyway...there are a few threads on here that you might get lucky and find...and if your in NY, there's a great place called Brick Lane Curry House, apparantly....doesn't help you to much though :D

A slight drive up to NYC for that place, haha!

Big D. I know i can make a roast, but i was lazy and used to rely on those premade roast potatoes in a bag. Although there is a large difference it seems in ready to roast meats and stuff. is it in grapevine Mills mall? Might be worth it for the yorkshires!

britontour Feb 27th 2006 5:13 pm

Big D. I know i can make a roast, but i was lazy and used to rely on those premade roast potatoes in a bag. Although there is a large difference it seems in ready to roast meats and stuff. is it in grapevine Mills mall? Might be worth it for the yorkshires!

I'm sure I saw some premade roasties in the supermarket (can't remember the name of it but its was one of the chains) at the weekend so keep looking there out there.

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by britontour
I'm sure I saw some premade roasties in the supermarket (can't remember the name of it but its was one of the chains) at the weekend so keep looking there out there.

really, i will then! Also i should try doing my own though, its surely not that hard.

Bob Feb 27th 2006 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by britontour

I've seen premade spuds in walmart...looked shite though...and yorkie puds aren't hard to make...bit like pop-overs, which you can find premade around here...

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 5:34 pm

Ill cgheck them out in walmart next time i am in there.

Yorkshires are just egg and water or summat right?

dbj1000 Feb 27th 2006 5:44 pm

No, the British Emporium in Grapevine is at the end of Grapevine Main Street (or whatever it's called). Full details on the homepage in that link.

anotherlimey Feb 27th 2006 5:46 pm

Ill cgheck them out in walmart next time i am in there.

Delia's yorkshire puds....

3 oz plain flour
3 fl oz milk
2 fl oz water
pinch salt
1 egg + 1 egg white

Put oil into the pan - the Yorkshire pudding pan - and heat in the oven for 15 minutes; then put pan on top shelf for 15 - 20mins.

The temperature of the oven - I think - should be 475.

Jaxbar Feb 27th 2006 5:46 pm

Re: The only thing i have craved since moving to America is a damn good Curry and a roast

Now come on peope you peel a potato chop it up and put it in oven with oil, butter or whatever you want. No preservatives or heart clogging trans fats and tastes better. We have to keep the side up here and not go in for this 'semi home made' that is so popular here! :)

nethead Feb 27th 2006 5:46 pm

You might want to add some flour to that too ;) :)

Annette

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
No, the British Emporium in Grapevine is at the end of Grapevine Main Street (or whatever it's called). Full details on the homepage in that link.

Thankyou, didnt know about that place, and now its another place to check out in Texas!

anotherlimey Feb 27th 2006 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Now come on peope you peel a potato chop it up and put it in oven with oil, butter or whatever you want. No preservatives or heart clogging trans fats and tastes better. We have to keep the side up here and not go in for this 'semi home made' that is so popular here! :)

This is from my mum at Christmas.....

ROAST POTATOES

King Edward potatoes are the preferred choice. If not,
then check on the bag that they are good for roasting.

Par boil them That means put into boiling water and bring back to the boil and then turn down to fast simmer for approx five minutes. The potatoes should be in quarters but not too small or they will disintegrate.
Meanwhile the oven should be quite hot No 6. Goose fat is great if you can get it. Drain off the water from the spuds. sprinkle salt and pepper and give them a shake to roughen up the edges. Put in tin and roast on highest shelf for 30 to 40 minutes. Give them a shake or turn over after 20.

nethead Feb 27th 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

You're right, and it's not like they're hard to make is it?

Annette