Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only 5 hours to learn and pass your driving test in NY State? Woah ...

Wikiposts

Only 5 hours to learn and pass your driving test in NY State? Woah ...

Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:56 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only 5 hours to learn and pass your driving test in NY State? Woah ...

Based on un unscientific reading of posts here, California seems to be the hardest state to pass the test in.

And here's the UK stop sign from the Highway Code - we do, in theory, have them. Along with a sign for no vehicles carrying explosives...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070644.pdf
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:58 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only 5 hours to learn and pass your driving test in NY State? Woah ...

Originally Posted by Nutek
Used to be "Give Way" signs around our way... I assume those are meant to be the equivalent of "Yield", but as I was never tested on any of them I couldn't really say.
Same. Give Way signs are prominent, but they just make sense. All these full hard STOP signs everywhere is just nonsical. There's one at the end of where my friend lives in LV. Look how ridiculous it is.

http://bit.ly/1by1hoa

The cops sit round the corner waiting for people to blow the stop sign. It's just another law here that makes utterly no sense.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:00 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
And here's the UK stop sign from the Highway Code - we do, in theory, have them.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070644.pdf
Oh! I remember those.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Probably didn't stop at one of those ridiculous STOP signs for the sheep who are unable to judge whether it's safe to pull out or not.

Never ceases to amaze me how cars will stop for even the most ridiculous of sign. It's drilled into them from a young age that STOP means STOP or something. Canada like them too I see. Why is that? Just what purpose do they serve?
Revenue generation, because the police will ticket you for not stopping, to stationary, if they see you.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 8:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Same. Give Way signs are prominent, but they just make sense. All these full hard STOP signs everywhere is just nonsical. There's one at the end of where my friend lives in LV. Look how ridiculous it is.

http://bit.ly/1by1hoa

The cops sit round the corner waiting for people to blow the stop sign. It's just another law here that makes utterly no sense.
There was one like that near me until quite recently. There was no junction just a 90° right turn, a tight one. I always ignored the sign anyway. But I recently discovered why it had been installed: there used to be a left turn too, over a level crossing, but the crossing had been removed, the road to the left torn up, and all vestiges of the junction removed, leaving a 90° bend, and a STOP sign that it took them more than ten years to realise was no longer necessary and remove it!

There is one at the corner of the cul de sac I live on. I always ignored it, we live near the back of a quiet subdivision, so it is quite unnecessary. Then some kids stole it, so there was no sign to ignore. A neighbor asked me to ask the state highway maintenance department to replace it, I told him I didn't see a need for it and that I enjoyed just rolling out if there was nothing coming. (He's an old fart who didn't seem to like my response.) After about three years he must have worked out how to contact the state himself because it was replaced. I still ignore it!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 14th 2013 at 9:04 am.