Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online Degrees from the USA

Wikiposts

Online Degrees from the USA

Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Degrees from the USA

Interesting read ... and you get a T-shirt

http://www.degreeinspector.com/Almeda.html
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:05 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
So I suppose you must be passing through it?

Editor's Note: This joke is copyright (C) Jimmy Tarbuck 1963.
Ah, but you failed to ask in which direction...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:16 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Costs about USD 700 I believe - is it genuine? And is it officially recognised anywhere? And is there any point to it?
One part of my company verifies resumes and educational/professional qualifications. If you submitted a resume with a degree from Alameda on it, we would flag it up as "bo11ocks" (this is the technical term) to our client.

It will be "recognized" by any employer that doesn't know WTF it is and doesn't check it out - but then so would your PhD from Lapin Windstar State University (just $10 with a statement of your life experience).

Put it this way: would you use an electrician, surgeon, or nutritionist whose qualification didn't require any study?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
One part of my company verifies resumes and educational/professional qualifications. If you submitted a resume with a degree from Alameda on it, we would flag it up as "bo11ocks" (this is the technical term) to our client.

It will be "recognized" by any employer that doesn't know WTF it is and doesn't check it out - but then so would your PhD from Lapin Windstar State University (just $10 with a statement of your life experience).

Put it this way: would you use an electrician, surgeon, or nutritionist whose qualification didn't require any study?
No - but if I knew that the said person had successfully worked his way up from a starting point of zero, learning from others, watching, practising and eventually doing, and becoming an expert practitioner simply from on-the-job experience, I might have more faith in him than I would in a person who simply had a piece of paper but little real experience.

That's the situation I'm in.............. I could teach (and often do) some of the stuff that is taught in 'Business and Finance' courses, but I've never had a formal piece of paper to show for it.

Don't worry about me - I'm not going to be tempted by the Almeda thing - but don't knock what you become by actually doing rather than 'learning'.

Last edited by The Dean; Sep 18th 2008 at 7:39 pm. Reason: i
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:27 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

if I knew that the said person had successfully worked his way up from a starting point of zero, learning from others, watching, practising and eventually doing, and becoming an expert practitioner simply from on-the-job experience...
...then you wouldn't need that person to show you a Mickey Mouse diploma!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I think most would be shit, unless offered through a proper uni that you can visit.

Kings College London, the missus is doing her masters online through them, 3K a year, not so cheap now, but still cheaper than any proper place with a reputation worth looking at over here in the US, and as a proper student, if ever in London, can use the facilities and stay on campus etc.

Might be worth looking, especially if the institute name means anything to you, because anything from the US will mean jack shit in the UK unless it's a big ivy league school etc.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know anything about the online degrees from places like Almeda University?

So-called life experience counts towards your grades. If you can show relevant experience that matches their syllabus, you get 'credits', and if you appear to have ticked every box, you get a degree - with no studying to do or essays to submit etc.

Costs about USD 700 I believe - is it genuine? And is it officially recognised anywhere?

And is there any point to it?

Thanks.
Do one with the OU and fly back once a year for the tests.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:32 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
And for your free online Ordination

http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=ordination

get you printer ready
I have been looking for that.....Is it the one Joey from Friends used?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I have been looking for that.....Is it the one Joey from Friends used?
He copied me ...
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

No - but if I knew that the said person had successfully worked his way up from a starting point of zero, learning from others, watching, practising and eventually doing, and becoming an expert practitioner simply from on-the-job experience, I might have more faith in him than I would in a person who simply had a piece of paper but little real experience.

That's the situation I'm in.............. I could teach (and often do) some of the stuff that is taught in 'Business and Finance' courses, but I've never had a formal piece of paper to show for it.

Don't worry about me - I'm not going to be tempted by the Almeda thing - but don't knock what you become by actually doing rather than 'learning'.
No one here is knocking it I don't think. However, exactly as LW says, if one of these complete bollocks "Degrees" adorns a resume, it screams "Lying Bastard" about as loud as you can scream it.

For companies that check, no-matter your experience, one of these degrees is exactly that - lying on your resume - and you'd be out on your ear.

Last edited by Dan725; Sep 20th 2008 at 8:13 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:34 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think most would be shit, unless offered through a proper uni that you can visit.

Kings College London, the missus is doing her masters online through them, 3K a year, not so cheap now, but still cheaper than any proper place with a reputation worth looking at over here in the US, and as a proper student, if ever in London, can use the facilities and stay on campus etc.

Might be worth looking, especially if the institute name means anything to you, because anything from the US will mean jack shit in the UK unless it's a big ivy league school etc.

Just out of curiosity - where did you get that info from?
My bachelors degree translates over here, just had to get it verified by world education services www.wes.org first and then I was fine. Just wondering that if my BA (from yours and my old stomping ground, Brunel - lol) could be applicable over here in the USA, why the reverse wouldn't be true?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Just out of curiosity - where did you get that info from?
My bachelors degree translates over here, just had to get it verified by world education services www.wes.org first and then I was fine. Just wondering that if my BA (from yours and my old stomping ground, Brunel - lol) could be applicable over here in the USA, why the reverse wouldn't be true?
It's not that a degree won't translate, a degree is a degree....but there just wouldn't be any kudos associated with the level of quality that the degree gives from certain institutions.

You could have a engineering degree or a nursing degree from U of Maine - Orono, both are some of the best in the country, but outside of New England means nothing, never mind going back to the UK and saying you went to a decent uni to get a degree.

That's the real issue...and WES et all are worthless as it's not a regulated industry, so anyone can set up shop, it's only worth getting done if required at whatever place someone wants you to get it done.

Just a point on the Kudos front, in the design world, over here, it's just I got a degree and means sod all, go apply for a job anywhere in the EU, there's certain kudos with a degree from one of the best design programs in the EU...won't get me a job on it's own, but does mean my degree would be worth more than from some shitter like Aston or Bournmouth etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:44 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the real issue...and WES et all are worthless as it's not a regulated industry, so anyone can set up shop, it's only worth getting done if required at whatever place someone wants you to get it done.
Then set up you own Degree evalution service
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I think there is self-regulation now... but anyway, this will make you laugh:

https://app.applyyourself.com/_FileR..._0809.htm#intl

If admitted, international applicants will be required to provide an official paper transcript sent directly from each college or university attended to World Education Services (WES)
Yes, that is Harvard.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Ray
Then set up you own Degree evalution service
There's always that option....your good with clipart, fancy joining me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.