Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online Degrees from the USA

Online Degrees from the USA

Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online Degrees from the USA

Does anyone know anything about the online degrees from places like Almeda University?

So-called life experience counts towards your grades. If you can show relevant experience that matches their syllabus, you get 'credits', and if you appear to have ticked every box, you get a degree - with no studying to do or essays to submit etc.

Costs about USD 700 I believe - is it genuine? And is it officially recognised anywhere?

And is there any point to it?

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Online Degrees from the USA

First thing first have you checked to see if this university is accredited?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
First thing first have you checked to see if this university is accredited?
You really think a college where you send them money and they send you a degree without going to any classes is going to be accredited?

My opinion. You might as well print your own diploma and use that, it's worth about as much. Maybe more because it shows you can design and aren't gullible enough to send money to get a piece of worthless paper.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:08 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

There is (though I can't recall the url right now) a very useful site from the umbella organisation for bodies that accredit US degrees. One thing they have there is a list of all the so-called "degree mills", which you shouldn't touch with a forked vermin stick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's place showed up on there.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Its on the list of diploma mills ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...igher_learning
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You really think a college where you send them money and they send you a degree without going to any classes is going to be accredited?

My opinion. You might as well print your own diploma and use that, it's worth about as much. Maybe more because it shows you can design and aren't gullible enough to send money to get a piece of worthless paper.
My Hewlett Packard 5280 can produce a quite good one ..
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

I can send you a copy of my degree/phd certificate just tipex out the name and enter yours and voila all for the bargain price of $100
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
Ray

And for your free online Ordination

http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=ordination

get you printer ready
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
And for your free online Ordination

http://www.themonastery.org/?destination=ordination

get you printer ready
According to my pal, who is ordained in same, that one's actually recognised in WA!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:32 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by chartreuse
According to my pal, who is ordained in same, that one's actually recognised in WA!
In CA it is... then it would be ...

Last edited by Ray; Sep 18th 2008 at 10:25 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
In CA it ... then it would be ...
Hang on - are we at risk of mixing up vicars and lawyers here?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting responses, and quite sensible too.

Almeda does have an undergraduate 'intake' though - you can actually study in the conventional sense, have essays marked, submit theses and assignments etc etc.

In my case I have many years of work experience of the stuff that's in their syllabus (in a few cases, I could probably teach it), but I must say I was, like most of you lot, highly suspicious.

I'm going to ask a few organisations if they recognise or accept it. I'll let you know what transpires.

In any case I've enjoyed a quite successful 30-year career without a degree so it may be a waste of time even to contemplate it.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:44 pm

You do know that Almeda county is the arsehole of Oakland, don't you?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
........I've enjoyed a quite successful 30-year career without a degree so it may be a waste of time even to contemplate it.

Thanks.
Some 'proper' universities offer online/overseas courses that lead to a genuine degree.

I think Mrs Bob (aka MarriedtotheMod) is doing one of them (at Kings College?....... not sure...)
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chartreuse
You do know that Almeda county is the arsehole of Oakland, don't you?
So I suppose you must be passing through it?

Editor's Note: This joke is copyright (C) Jimmy Tarbuck 1963.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.