Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One-way or Round-trip

Wikiposts

One-way or Round-trip

Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: One-way or Round-trip

Originally Posted by GeoffM
£400 for a round trip airfare (direct LON-NYC) or £499 QM2... not that much more considering you get a week of holiday!
Might be easier to go Southampton to Fort Lauderdale as the OP lives in Florida There is one that leaves on the 4th Nov....my in-laws are on it!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:35 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
There's a boat that you can buy one way tickets on from Southampton to NYC btw

Make sure it has lifeboats though (but seriously what better way to arrive in your new home).
My parents spend 6 months in Orlando and 6 months in northern Italy every year. Twice now they've done the cheapo one-way cruise option from Florida to Nice. Dirt cheap, and huge luggage allowance. Cheap household goods are hard/impossible to come by in Italy so they've basically shipped half a Target store with them as luggage on the boat!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that for a single occupancy cabin though? Also you are required to pay quite hefty tips to the cruise staff.
Meh, it's an option. And a bloody good one too. Getting up early and watching the Statue of Liberty roll into view to welcome you to a new chapter in your life. Shivers down the spine time for me.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, it's an option. And a bloody good one too. Getting up early and watching the Statue of Liberty roll into view to welcome you to a new chapter in your life. Shivers down the spine time for me.
Of course it's an option. IMO sailing under the Varrazano Bridge is much more exciting. There again I only live about 30 mins away from The Lady...so I can see her anytime.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 19th 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:57 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikechristina
And the POE officers don't care? I don't think they would but worth asking.
No they don't care. Booked a return to drop my son off at university in the UK and no one batted an eyelid when I booked in without him on the way back. Also got to have the seat next to me free to put my feet up ..... result
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

£400 for a round trip airfare (direct LON-NYC) or £499 QM2... not that much more considering you get a week of holiday!
That would be ace if that was all inclusive....and one was heading to the NYC area...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
That would be ace if that was all inclusive....and one was heading to the NYC area...
I guess it all depends on who you are travelling with, for me the extra cost of the cruise will be offset by not having to pay airline excess baggage charges for several suitcases
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on who you are travelling with, for me the extra cost of the cruise will be offset by not having to pay airline excess baggage charges for several suitcases
My husband tried to talk me into sailing from NYC to the UK on the QM2 next month. Sailing the North Atlantic in winter...I don't think so...take me somewhere warm.

If I was going back to the UK to live...I would certainly go with Cunard because they have kennels on board. Not to mention all that extra luggage I could take with me.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well if it's all inclusive, then it's a great bargain....but if it's not...a weeks worth of posh dinner and drinks would cost a hell of a lot more than a 100 notes...still, does sound like a lot more fun and memorable though
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Is that for a single occupancy cabin though?
True, that price was per person based on two sharing.

Also you are required to pay quite hefty tips to the cruise staff.
Nope. Tips are optional - though automatically added if you don't say otherwise.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

True, that price was per person based on two sharing.

Nope. Tips are optional - though automatically added if you don't say otherwise.
There usually isn't a great deal of difference in the price of a single occupancy cabin and the cost of 2 people staying in the same cabin. I presume there will also be taxes etc on top of that price.

Tips may be optional but as you say they are added automatically by most cruise lines. To have them removed you usually have to go to the desk on board...just to make you feel like a tight wad.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I presume there will also be taxes etc on top of that price.
That included taxes. I assume the cruise lines advertising in the UK are subject to the same requirements as the airlines in that the "up front" price includes tax - not added at the end.

Tips may be optional but as you say they are added automatically by most cruise lines. To have them removed you usually have to go to the desk on board...just to make you feel like a tight wad.
Yes. $11 per person per day on Cunard apparently. Even a tight wad like me wouldn't mind paying that. One advantage of that system is that the waiters etc don't know if you're tipping or not so the service level shouldn't be affected on that basis.

Like others have said, the idea of starting a new life by arriving in style does kind of appeal! Though it would be followed by a nearly 5 hour domestic flight to get where we actually want to go. I'd have to pay the extra for an outside cabin though, a bit claustrophobic for me otherwise.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond reputemikechristina has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: One-way or Round-trip

WOW! It was just a simple question, sorry if it was redundant and now it somehow lead to a topic about a slow boat to AMERICA! LOL

If Mike and I were travelling together, we might have considered the QM2 but being that I haven't seen my husband in near 5 months, we'll go with the faster, flight option

Booking a round trip and throwing the return away, don't be a repeat offender, got it, thanks!