Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One more multisystem vcr thread

One more multisystem vcr thread

Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:51 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question One more multisystem vcr thread

My Samsung sv5000w vcr died recently (apparently the power unit if its the same as all the others I've read about). So now I have the option of taking it to a repair shop, where they'll no doubt charge me more than the cost of a new one to do a crappy job, or I can buy a new multisystem vcr. The alternative is to buy a multiregion dvd player, and replace all my vhs stuff. I guess it would cost me a lot either way, but this seems like a more permanent solution. Anyone else had this vcr? Anyone else just dumped the vhs tapes?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:19 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One more multisystem vcr thread

Dumped mine. I'll check if the kids still use it, else I'll sell you my Aiwa duel player... They are cheap enough now anyway, probably more to ship....
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:44 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

VHS? I remember the letters, but forget what they mean...

Seriously though, quality difference alone should more than make you want to replace your collection. That, and I forget the last time my DVD player chewed up a disk...
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely replace your collection with DVD's, and then have the pleasure of replacing them again in a couple of years when, and if, HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray take off.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I bought a dual system vcr on Ebay for the sole purpose of writing vhs tapes to DVD (This is stuff taped off the telly, not films bought on vhs).

Lets face it, VHS is dead, and a multiregion DVD can be had for less than $100. Your tapes will degrade over time too. So unless you havea huge collection of VHS stuff - i'd dump it.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pharrya
I bought a dual system vcr on Ebay for the sole purpose of writing vhs tapes to DVD (This is stuff taped off the telly, not films bought on vhs).

Lets face it, VHS is dead, and a multiregion DVD can be had for less than $100. Your tapes will degrade over time too. So unless you havea huge collection of VHS stuff - i'd dump it.
Yeah, my only problem was that I have some hard-to-find stuff on vhs, but you're all right. Its got to go!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Yeah, my only problem was that I have some hard-to-find stuff on vhs, but you're all right. Its got to go!

Move to the 21t century
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

You What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant futureYou What John has a brilliant future

My Samsung sv5000w vcr died recently (apparently the power unit if its the same as all the others I've read about). So now I have the option of taking it to a repair shop, where they'll no doubt charge me more than the cost of a new one to do a crappy job, or I can buy a new multisystem vcr. The alternative is to buy a multiregion dvd player, and replace all my vhs stuff. I guess it would cost me a lot either way, but this seems like a more permanent solution. Anyone else had this vcr? Anyone else just dumped the vhs tapes?
I bought a DVD recorder and copied all my VHS over to DVD, it's the bollocks, I can record straight from my camcorder to DVD as well.

You can buy DVD recorders now for less than $200.

http://www.store.philips.com/b2c_red...72&shop=DIRECT
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Big D
Move to the 21t century
I still have my vinyl too!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:00 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my vinyl too!
Just keep it out of the sun. I've loads of vinyl and have slowly been recording it onto digital (though keeping the hiss out is hard). But I think I'll always keep the vinyl. Good job I don't have as much as the bloke in High Fidelity.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:21 am
Just Joined

superbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nicesuperbeeny is just really nice

What's a vcr? I remember having a video a while ago. I managed to pick up a Region 1 dvd player which is region free via a few nifty pushes on my remote for $30. Still going strong after a year with a 2 yr old, whereas my xbox died a while ago. Look on http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/m...n/hackable.asp for models to fiddle with.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by superbeeny
What's a vcr? I remember having a video a while ago. I managed to pick up a Region 1 dvd player which is region free via a few nifty pushes on my remote for $30. Still going strong after a year with a 2 yr old, whereas my xbox died a while ago. Look on http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/m...n/hackable.asp for models to fiddle with.

Yeah, I know theres plenty to choose from. Thats not the point. I kinda answered my own question, I guess. Its just a hassle to find and replace a bunch of tapes
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

I have had one for the past 6 years and it is not a bad unit. I would not bother getting the bloody thing repaired as it will cost way too much. Check on ebay for another one or as u suggested use a dvd player like the philips 642 which plays all formats of dvd/s, .
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a multiregion PAL to NTSC DVD player recently from one of those online importers (it was local so i bought direct) the model is Yamaha DVD S657, its about $200 but plays any DVD and converts the signal so your UK movies will play on a US NTSC television and if you have a multisystem TV that also does PAL it plays UK films directly as PAL so you dont get the slight degradadtion in quality thet the PAL-NTSC coversion causes. Theres several versions of this player but you may want the one like mine that outputs native PAL (not just PAL converted to NTSC), this version is not modified and comes as is from factory.

Its officially a region 3 player and you have to use a plug adapte (or change plug) but the point is it works and looks and sounds great.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I've mentioned this before in another thread.

Go to Wally World and buy the ilo DVDR04 model player/recorder for $98. Then do a google search on the make and model and you'll find a fix for a hidden menu that converts it to a region-free player/recorder. Works well. I've had PAL region 2 discs playing on it with no problems and sent discs recorded on it to UK and they have played without any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.