Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One more "is Dyson worth it thread"

One more "is Dyson worth it thread"

Old Sep 6th 2006, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

UKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud of
Default Re: One more "is Dyson worth it thread"

I used to have the yellow canister one before (which I liked but wasn't the most powerful), and now we have the DC14 Animal and it's excellent, until you need to use the pipe/handle thingy to clean along the edges of your floor/down your sofa/on the stairs/in your car, then I find myself trying to hold the main body of the vacuum still with one hand whilst trying to extend the hose pipe with the other (which is tightly packed and needs to be tugged at and held in position otherwise it retracts back), and if you try to do this on a wooden floor, it's guaranteed that you will get a bruised ankle. If you try to do this on stairs, it's guaranteed that you will turn the air blue.
Also I find that when you use the hose and you bend it towards the floor, the lower part of the hose has a hard inner tube and that cut's off the suction so you need to hold the lower end of the hose with one hand to stop it from bending and then use your other hand to guide the pipe.. am I making any sense? In a nutshell, vacuuming the main part of the floor is a delight... anything other than that, nightmare.

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I need a new vacuum, and Consumer Reports rates the Kenmores significantly better than the Dyson.

I have mainly hardwood floors but do have some carpet and of course the carpet is what needs vacuuming most.

Anyone have one of the US models and think it's really worth 2x the most expensive Kenmore? There's the DC15 model with a ball instead of traditional rollers and it looks like it would be terribly easy to manouevre or else terribly difficult.

Any opinions wanted to get me off the fence!
Old Sep 6th 2006, 6:01 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I need a new vacuum, and Consumer Reports rates the Kenmores significantly better than the Dyson.

I have mainly hardwood floors but do have some carpet and of course the carpet is what needs vacuuming most.

Anyone have one of the US models and think it's really worth 2x the most expensive Kenmore? There's the DC15 model with a ball instead of traditional rollers and it looks like it would be terribly easy to manouevre or else terribly difficult.

Dyson every time, here and in the UK. I brought the first one because I had a dog and now I wouldn't have anything else. Not to sure about the roller ball idea though.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Dyson here. We also have the "Animal" variant - bought it as a returned open box item for the same price as the yellow one.

It is comparitivley heavy, but we don't have stairs and being a tad heavier is a small price to pay for something that sucks up all the crap as good as this, is easy to empty (hate pain in the arse to empty vaccuums) and does not seem to get worse over time like every other vac we've ever had - had the Dyson 2 years still going like new.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:19 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a refurb, there usually $250, but we got ours for just over $100 a couple years ago now, and it's still great....could do with a larger canistor because it does suck up so much shite, but it's a great vac, easy to use, tough stuff too...and the hose wand thingy is good for doing the ceiling webs etc.

Does a great job on wood and lino floors as well as carpet, fairly light, so not bad going up stairs, and also fairly quiet, well compared to the other one's we've used.
Ours is a refurb, we just bought an extended warranty for it. Have had no problems so far.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I have the DC14 Animal and it's great.
Dyson, Dyson, Dyson! We have the DC14 too. Great vac, love all the extras too.

Ash
Old Sep 6th 2006, 10:15 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a yellow up right dyson, with a couple of extra attachments, hubby has bought since we got it (i wonder if he's hinting at me cleaning more )
Love the dyson, wouldnt get another bagless brand.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Dyson in the UK and when we moved over here we left it with my daughter. We decided to be cheap and buy a Bissel, it does have a Hepa filter, but I don't think it picks up anything like a Dyson. We all have allergies and I don't think it really helps. Next time we buy a vaccum, it will be a Dyson.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 2:58 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just lash out the money for a Kirby? Yes they cost a fricking fortune but you'll never have to buy another vacuum cleaner again.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:05 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

I like Dyson, I think that they do a great job and last forever. I agree though a little on the heavy side.
I also have an Oreck now that is light weight but does a reasonable job.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:11 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Dyson Animal and think it's worth every penny. When I first got mine I did a test. I used my Hoover Wind something and then went over what I had done with the Dyson. I picked up a third of a cannister that the Hoover missed. Thinking that maybe my Hoover was just old (9 years old) I asked my neighbor if I could try my Dyson in his house after he had used his vacuum. He has an Electrolux all singing all dancing $750.00 model. The Dyson picked up even more off his carpet than it did mine. He has two cats and so do I. I was very impressed when I did my mattress too. It was scary to see just how much dead skin that thing picked up.

I also like the fact it goes under coffee tables a lot easier than my Hoover. My husband has commented that after I use the Dyson there is no "dust" smell in the room.

Worth every penny.

Last edited by Lynne; Sep 9th 2006 at 1:13 am.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
I like Dyson, I think that they do a great job and last forever. I agree though a little on the heavy side.
I also have an Oreck now that is light weight but does a reasonable job.
I wouldn't buy one of those Orecks, because his adverts piss me off. "Buy MY Oreck, contact ME, MY, MY MY, ME, ME, ME!" Idiot just rubs me up the wrong way, I can see he's real appreciative of people who work for him!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

UKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud ofUKG1RL has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lynne
I have the Dyson Animal and think it's worth every penny. When I first got mine I did a test. I used my Hoover Wind something and then went over what I had done with the Dyson. I picked up a third of a cannister that the Hoover missed. Thinking that maybe my Hoover was just old (9 years old) I asked my neighbor if I could try my Dyson in his house after he had used his vacuum. He has an Electrolux all singing all dancing $750.00 model. The Dyson picked up even more off his carpet than it did mine. He has two cats and so do I. I was very impressed when I did my mattress too. It was scary to see just how much dead skin that thing picked up.

I also like the fact it goes under coffee tables a lot easier than my Hoover. My husband has commented that after I use the Dyson there is no "dust" smell in the room.

Worth every penny.
WOW! I wish you were my neighbour. I'd love someone to come and do my hoovering... ooops sorry, 'dysoning' for me.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 5:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
You should try the experiment the other way around. This is the classic way of trying to sell a vacuum to someone - they say it takes seven passes on average to get all of the crap out of a carpet. There must be a reason for Consumer Reports saying that the Dyson is not the best on carpet. Before I buy one I'd like to know.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You should try the experiment the other way around. This is the classic way of trying to sell a vacuum to someone - they say it takes seven passes on average to get all of the crap out of a carpet. There must be a reason for Consumer Reports saying that the Dyson is not the best on carpet. Before I buy one I'd like to know.
on carpet, it's the best one out there, great if you have pets, the animal head attachment makes it easier to vac your bed and couch, but you don't need to get the animal version of the dyson because you can get the attachments separately.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dan725
I wouldn't buy one of those Orecks, because his adverts piss me off. "Buy MY Oreck, contact ME, MY, MY MY, ME, ME, ME!" Idiot just rubs me up the wrong way, I can see he's real appreciative of people who work for him!
That is EXACTLY the same reason I won't buy FA from "The Video professor" selling computer CD's on those irritating dumb ad's. It's all MY MY MY product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.