Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Old-Fashioned Stuff That Still Functions

Old-Fashioned Stuff That Still Functions

Old May 7th 2012, 10:09 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about
Default Old-Fashioned Stuff That Still Functions

I'm currently wearing a summer nightie that I purchased with 21st birthday gift money. That was 40 years ago. It is one of the very few things I still own that I brought over from England.

Looking around my house I see other ancient things that still function:

We have hundreds of long-playing records and we play them on our Toshiba turntable, which turntable we have had forever.

One of our house phones is a rotary phone and it is the only phone in the house that has never broken.

What about you? Do you still have old things in your house that the average person today would have binned decades ago?
Old May 7th 2012, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old-Fashioned Stuff That Still Functions

Originally Posted by Primula
Do you still have old things in your house that the average person today would have binned decades ago?
Yeah, me.

But seriously....we bought a hand mixer from a charity shop for a dollar that was from the 70's, this was 10 years ago and it's still going strong.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - how would Apple ever make obscene amounts of profit building things that last??!!!

We got rid of a ton of stuff when we moved over... if it wasn't for that we'd still have ancient TVs, hair driers and that kind of stuff...

Actually, I still have a pair of shoes from my last year or so in the RAF, which I wore to work almost every day until we moved here - almost 12 years - bar a break of a few months here & there... still in good shape, but then I did polish & clean them very frequently...
Old May 7th 2012, 10:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently wearing a summer nightie that I purchased with 21st birthday gift money. That was 40 years ago. It is one of the very few things I still own that I brought over from England.

Looking around my house I see other ancient things that still function:

We have hundreds of long-playing records and we play them on our Toshiba turntable, which turntable we have had forever.

One of our house phones is a rotary phone and it is the only phone in the house that has never broken.

What about you? Do you still have old things in your house that the average person today would have binned decades ago?
I could answer that question, but you would only accuse me of making boring posts with information no-one is interested in again.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I could answer that question, but you would only accuse me of making boring posts with information no-one is interested in again.
You can't blame her for wanting to be the only one.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of underpants that I bought in Australia in 2001. Does that count? They have a small hole in them but I kept them as they have a picture of a koala on the front.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:43 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

I await the next inane thread with trepidation
You didn't have long to wait.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I have a pair of underpants that I bought in Australia in 2001. Does that count? They have a small hole in them but I kept them as they have a picture of a koala on the front.
Aren't you meant to piss through that hole?
Old May 7th 2012, 10:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't have long to wait.
longer than it took me to put two coats of paint on my deck.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

On my bed this week is a Duvet cover I bought from my friends mums catalog (great universal I think it was) It moved to US with me and then moved back to UK and back to US I bought it over 30 years ago and it's still looks bright and in great shape.
I also have the first gift MIL gave me after we got married, an electric hand mixer, circa 1985. works great.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:03 pm
Banned

longer than it took me to put two coats of paint on my deck.
Did you sit and watch the paint dry?
Old May 7th 2012, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You two need to get a room.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I still have and use a beach towel that I bought from M&S 20 years ago for our honeymoon
Old May 7th 2012, 11:29 pm
Banned

I still have the only book I brought with me to the States: a softcover version of Catcher in the Rye. I wanted to bring more books, but it was very impractical to do so. (I have loads of books now.)
Old May 7th 2012, 11:55 pm

No I have a wife for that. She can see the deck from the kitchen sink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.