Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ok, forget jobs; tried business anyone?

ok, forget jobs; tried business anyone?

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:14 pm
monami

Default ok, forget jobs; tried business anyone?

Ok, thanks a lot everyone who replied to my original queries about getting into the US/Canada via a job.
As it seems that jobs are pretty scarce there right now and you do have to try very hard not to lose a job once you have one, so is there any one here on this NG who has, or is actually running or thinking of running their own business in the US/Canada, be it a startup business or an established franchise type ??
This maybe the way out of all these job woes, i think!?

Old Aug 18th 2002, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ok, forget jobs; tried business anyone?

yea finally i was thinking of business here. i am collecting information here lets see what happens
Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monami:
Ok, thanks a lot everyone who replied to my original queries about getting into the US/Canada via a job.
As it seems that jobs are pretty scarce there right now and you do have to try very hard not to lose a job once you have one, so is there any one here on this NG who has, or is actually running or thinking of running their own business in the US/Canada, be it a startup business or an established franchise type ??
If you have a fare amount of capital you might manage it, but otherwise you have no US credit history and will find it virtually impossible to get a credit card or a small loan, never mind a business start-up loan.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jason C is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if you manage to start a business in the US, you will still need a visa to come here and work for it...
Old Aug 19th 2002, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Also make sure your business plan is good especially if you don't have prior experience in owning a business. You might be able to sponsor H1 for your self or go through permanent resident route.
Old Aug 19th 2002, 10:36 pm
Joachim Feise

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, mailmena wrote:

> Originally posted by monami:
    > > Ok, thanks a lot everyone who replied to my original queries about getting into
    > > the US/Canada via a job. As it seems that jobs are pretty scarce there right now
    > > and you do have to try very hard not to lose a job once you have one, so is there
    > > any one here on this NG who has, or is actually running or thinking of running
    > > their own business in the US/Canada, be it a startup business or an established
    > > franchise type ?? This maybe the way out of all these job woes, i think!?
    > Also make sure your business plan is good especially if you don't have prior
    > experience in owning a business. You might be able to sponsor H1 for your self or
    > go through permanent resident route.

For an H1, you would have to have the qualifications. Also, INS tends to scrutinize
H1 for the own company, to determine the legitimacy. It is not possible to get have
your own company sponsor you for permanent residency. The only way to get a GC this
way would be through the investor category ($1M, I think). Better talk to an
immigration lawyer before you try the company route.

-Joe

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Floridalover is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also been looking into this option. I believe there is an E class visa that lets you run your business in the USA as long as you intend to return to your native country when your business has finished. You only need an investment of $200 000, and this can be with loan included.
I am currently awaiting a reply on this option.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Joachim Feise:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, mailmena wrote:

> Originally posted by monami:
    > > Ok, thanks a lot everyone who replied to my original queries about getting into
    > > the US/Canada via a job. As it seems that jobs are pretty scarce there right now
    > > and you do have to try very hard not to lose a job once you have one, so is there
    > > any one here on this NG who has, or is actually running or thinking of running
    > > their own business in the US/Canada, be it a startup business or an established
    > > franchise type ?? This maybe the way out of all these job woes, i think!?
    > Also make sure your business plan is good especially if you don't have prior
    > experience in owning a business. You might be able to sponsor H1 for your self or
    > go through permanent resident route.

For an H1, you would have to have the qualifications. Also, INS tends to scrutinize
H1 for the own company, to determine the legitimacy. It is not possible to get have
your own company sponsor you for permanent residency. The only way to get a GC this
way would be through the investor category ($1M, I think). Better talk to an
immigration lawyer before you try the company route.

-Joe
That's true about H1b. I know a restaurant owner that has a partnership with an American and got a green card through the business. I'm sure it wasn't a million investment.