Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ok to drive with uk license?

ok to drive with uk license?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:30 am
Just Joined

dagntate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ok to drive with uk license?

ok..im a legal permanent resident here in the us. I have my british license, is it ok to drive with this, or do i need to get a ny state license, if i do, can i have both licenses, or do i need to give up my uk license (dont really want to do that!) anybody help?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:36 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok to drive with uk license?

Originally Posted by dagntate
ok..im a legal permanent resident here in the us. I have my british license, is it ok to drive with this, or do i need to get a ny state license, if i do, can i have both licenses, or do i need to give up my uk license (dont really want to do that!) anybody help?
you'll need to get a NY license sooner or later.

I still have both licenses.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:24 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

NY state like to take your old UK license off you! Just forget to take it with you when you go and get your license It isn't hard to get a NY license. Just take your passport with you which should contain your visa status and you will have to do both a computerized test and a quick driving test. Just make sure you study the drinking limits and stopping limits, then you will have no problem passing the computerized on. The physically driving one is rediculously easy.

As far as driving on your UK driving license, I understand the law is if you are here visiting your UK license is valid for one year. If you are living here as your home for a while (as you are) you are supposed to get your US license within a month, or at least try to anyway. Never heard of anyone yet that has had a problem driving on their UK driving license for longer than they were supposed to and I have no idea what a cop would do if you got stopped either.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ben
As far as driving on your UK driving license, I understand the law is if you are here visiting your UK license is valid for one year. If you are living here as your home for a while (as you are) you are supposed to get your US license within a month, or at least try to anyway.
I think you'll find all states have a requirement to obtain a local license once you take up residence in their state. The period allowed for changing varies though, typically 30 days but some will allow you to drive on an out-of-state license for 60, or even 90 days (ditto license plates).
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Better to get a local licence anyway, your insurance will most likely be cheaper and easier to find
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

We actually got stopped just over a month after we arrived in DFW. The nasty little power hungry cop that got us gave my husband a ticket for not having a Texas licence despite us telling him that the law said we could drive for a year.

My husband opted to go to the courthouse rather than pay the fine and took with him a copy of the law regarding his right to drive for one year on his UK licence. The judge said something along the lines of "the state trooper shouldn't be allowed on the road if he doesn't know the law" and that was the end of that.

It is really easy to get a licence here though, it only took me a few minutes and they like to see your licence for ID for all kinds of things here in Texas so it's handy to have one.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
NY state like to take your old UK license off you!
They can want all they like, I believe they have no authority to take it off you though.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't even ask to see mine here in DFW so I still have it.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Just don't take your UK one with you. They never ask if you have a foreign license, although I think my examiner was a little surprised that I wasn't nervous, but competant. After he said I did "very well" and I said well have been driving for 5 years now!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:53 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

You are also supposed to return your UK licence to DVLA if you are no longer a UK resident, but I don't know anyone that has...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:55 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by James Box
You are also supposed to return your UK licence to DVLA if you are no longer a UK resident, but I don't know anyone that has...
When my UK photo license runs out in 2009, I intend on applying for a new one, granted I'll have to go back to the UK for a week or so. but c'est la vie.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
When my UK photo license runs out in 2009, I intend on applying for a new one, granted I'll have to go back to the UK for a week or so. but c'est la vie.
Is that when you will be 75?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
You're supposed to return your NHS Medical Card to the local Family Practitioner's Office too when you are no longer a UK resident (so your GP doesn't continue to get paid for having you on his/her register) but I don't know anyone who has done that either! (Just think of all of those GPs getting income on our behalf when hardly any of us have even seen our British GPs for many years!)
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
I think you'll find all states have a requirement to obtain a local license once you take up residence in their state. The period allowed for changing varies though, typically 30 days but some will allow you to drive on an out-of-state license for 60, or even 90 days (ditto license plates).
Yeah, but depending on the state as to how tough they are with it, the guy that lived downstairs still has his Texas plate and license and has been living in Maine for five years
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:57 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by mattbutt
Is that when you will be 75?
no when the photo card expires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.