British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/oh-you-have-green-card-please-face-camera-oh-welcome-home-579370/)

mayhemuk Dec 19th 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

"The information is checked against a government database of known terrorists and criminals. "
How do they get these people to register on the database so they can be checked off against???;)

Titchski Dec 19th 2008 9:52 pm

Best reason I've had to start the citizenship process off so far!

What a waste of tax money :thumbdown:

NC Penguin Dec 19th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mayhemuk (Post 7083930)
"The information is checked against a government database of known terrorists and criminals. "
How do they get these people to register on the database so they can be checked off against???;)

Maybe from sources like INTERPOL and the like. It's not like terrorists and criminals would willingly register on such databases.

Steerpike Dec 19th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher (Post 7083902)
Just about everything is wrong with it, IMO.:huh:

You obviously don't know Octang :). Octang stands ready to defend our freedoms and go down in a blaze of gunfire if required to protect you and I from an oppressive government!

paul1968mcr Dec 19th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7083941)
You obviously don't know Octang :). Octang stands ready to defend our freedoms and go down in a blaze of gunfire if required to protect you and I from an oppressive government!

And he'd be exercising his constitutional right, if not infact his constiutional obligation, to do so.

Brit3964 Dec 19th 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 7083935)
Best reason I've had to start the citizenship process off so far!

What a waste of tax money :thumbdown:

And watch for a sudden spike in new Citizenship applications once word of this expansion gets out.

Steerpike Dec 19th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Brit3964 (Post 7083982)
And watch for a sudden spike in new Citizenship applications once word of this expansion gets out.

I just got my citizenship this week. The motivation was ... not having to deal with the green card stuff! (and I wanted to vote for Obama, but missed that opportunity by a hair). 4 months, start to finish. Piece of cake!

Octang Frye Dec 19th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7084049)
I just got my citizenship this week. The motivation was ... not having to deal with the green card stuff! (and I wanted to vote for Obama, but missed that opportunity by a hair). 4 months, start to finish. Piece of cake!

Bloody hell, that was cwick. Took me a year.

Steerpike Dec 19th 2008 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 7084056)
Bloody hell, that was cwick. Took me a year.

They don't have a secret file on me to review! :)

Actually, the story I heard is, the fee went up so fewer people are applying. $600 I believe.

meauxna Dec 20th 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 7083380)
Just for the heck of it, I crossed back and forth into Canada a couple of times.

heh.. I lived up in Bellingham at one time and the border out in the country is a little shallow ditch. We used to greatly amuse ourselves by standing with one foot on either side, or jumping across and back, just being silly.

There is one legitimate border crossing station where the Canadians are supposed to stop and phone in their entry from an unmanned booth (they call the agents down the road at another crossing); I always thought that was silly.

And then there's the border town, forget the name, where the USG is 'stealing' land from US property owners to expand their 'border zone'. They're making some lady tear down the little concrete wall she put up to keep her doggities in her yard. It's also got exciting International Incident written all over it...

surly Dec 20th 2008 12:52 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 7082599)
Haven't we been fingerprinted, photographed, background checked and medical'ed enough. The DHS is totally out of control.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10126625-38.html

Grr, I am getting pissed off with this. Land of the free my arse, as Jim Royle would say....

As a green card holder you are a 'foreigner' with the right to live and work in the US.

kins Dec 20th 2008 2:46 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7083697)
I visited Big Bend National Park, where it would have been possible to roll up your trousers and literally paddle through the Rio Grande to and from Mexico. There was even a little boat where you could pay a guy to row you the few yards to the Mexican side to where you could hike to a nearby place to eat.

I took that boat, then we rode some horses to a little town where someone cooked us the most amazing taquitos and someone else got very upset with us when we wouldn't buy any drugs from them.

I was in the middle of adjusting status and didn't yet have my Advance Parole so it was quite a novelty to leave the country.

lisa67 Dec 20th 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CarrotCruncher (Post 7083902)
Just about everything is wrong with it, IMO.:huh:

FWIW I think OF was being sarcastic ;)

Songbird Dec 20th 2008 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 7083941)

http://thejournal.parker-joseph.co.u...lice-state.png

:lol:

Grr image wont load!

CarrotCruncher Dec 20th 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7085662)
FWIW I think OF was being sarcastic ;)

Oh, ok.:o but I still think everything is wrong with it :p