Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh dear - more on the unarmed Brazilian shooting in London

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I've highlighted the key word.
Right -- it was unclear, so I reserved judgement and in fact I still do given that this is a leaked story. But if it does turn out to be a cockup cos someone was literally taking a piss and the detectives hadn't even been shown pictures of who they were supposed to be tailing.... then that is unacceptable.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:12 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I saw one guy interviewed on several networks and he was consistant. There could be another witness who didn't talk to the press so let's wait to see. I would like to know where the info on the heavy brown coat came from. Thinking about it, there was one man further down the carriage who saw a dynamite vest on the guy. Go figure.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:31 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

From the Times article linked above:

CCTV footage clearly shows that Senhor de Menezes was wearing a thin denim jacket so he could not be concealing a bomb and nor was he carrying any bag.

Far from running to avoid police who were tailing him, the electrician did not realise anyone was following him. He used his season ticket and did not vault the barrier. He only began to run when he saw a train pull into the station and as many commuters do he quickened his pace to catch it.

Last edited by elfman; Aug 16th 2005 at 11:33 am.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
From the Times article linked above:

CCTV footage clearly shows that Senhor de Menezes was wearing a thin denim jacket so he could not be concealing a bomb and nor was he carrying any bag.

Far from running to avoid police who were tailing him, the electrician did not realise anyone was following him. He used his season ticket and did not vault the barrier. He only began to run when he saw a train pull into the station and as many commuters do he quickened his pace to catch it.

Wow, that pictures says a lot. But, what more can be said?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Wow, that pictures says a lot. But, what more can be said?
If he had gone home when his visa ran out he would not have been shot in London. Would you rather the bombers had blown up a crowded train ?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
If he had gone home when his visa ran out he would not have been shot in London. Would you rather the bombers had blown up a crowded train ?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:34 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've been at the scrumpy, he had no place to hide a bomb, he had done nothing suspicious. The fact that he overstayed his visa is meaningless unless they were aware of it, and they weren't, because he was not the man they were supposed to tail.

Don't hurry on the subway Dr. Scrumpy, it could be dangerous.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I think you've been at the scrumpy, he had no place to hide a bomb, he had done nothing suspicious. The fact that he overstayed his visa is meaningless unless they were aware of it, and they weren't, because he was not the man they were supposed to tail.

Ah, but if you have an up to date visa you're safe!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Never used the subway, or the metro in dc for that matter. As far as I am concerned the police did the right thing, they risk their lives in tackling a suspected bomber, and who the hell are you to sit back on the computer and call them for it ?

Or would you let a suspected suicide bomber pull the cord and blow you & everyone in the vicinity up ?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:56 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

If the police really thought he was carrying a bomb then why did they not intercept him before he entered the station or before he boarded the train?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

No place to hide a bomb? I'd object to that.

Even with a t-shirt and shorts you could hide a reasonable sized bomb about your person - without sticking it somewhere painful.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

This is really tough - i wonder if we will ever know the truth? The initial story with the coat and the running away is so different to this story.

IMO this is a terrible tragedy but i am fully behind the police - if the guy ran and was acting suspiciously after the events of previous days then it sounds callous but that was pretty stupid. If however he wasn't being chased and given no warning then it makes it more difficult to justify - I can't believe that this story is so different to the original so I would wait until any of this is confirmed.

Sadly in these times police will have to take these measures and I support them, mistakes and tragedies happen but my support is still with them.

"The IPCC made it clear that we would not speculate or release partial information about the investigation, and that others should not do so. That remains the case."
is a quote from the beeb - i guess it will all come out eventually, i feel sorry for the family to hear this in this way

Last edited by Big D; Aug 16th 2005 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:29 pm
The Unmod

Originally Posted by Big D
This is really tough - i wonder if we will ever know the truth? The initial story with the coat and the running away is so different to this story.

IMO this is a terrible tragedy but i am fully behind the police - if the guy ran and was acting suspiciously after the events of previous days then it sounds callous but that was pretty stupid. If however he wasn't being chased and given no warning then it makes it more difficult to justify - I can't believe that this story is so different to the original so I would wait until any of this is confirmed.

Sadly in these times police will have to take these measures and I support them, mistakes and tragedies happen but my support is still with them.

"The IPCC made it clear that we would not speculate or release partial information about the investigation, and that others should not do so. That remains the case."
is a quote from the beeb - i guess it will all come out eventually, i feel sorry for the family to hear this in this way
Did you not read the article? he didn't run, he didn't do anything suspicious, he just increased his pace to catch his train. they took him down because the copper who took a piss didn't check and misidentified him to the armed branch.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:37 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Did you not read the article? he didn't run, he didn't do anything suspicious, he just increased his pace to catch his train. they took him down because the copper who took a piss didn't check and misidentified him to the armed branch.
It's an article on a leak. It's not the gosple truth...yet.
Who's to know if this version is any more reliable than versions we've heard before?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i read it - my point was that this is a leak - unconfirmed and as so different from the previous version that i'm not sure i believe it until confirmed - which i'm sure will come in time

Last edited by Big D; Aug 16th 2005 at 2:32 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.