Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Offshore bank account - safe from predatory lawyers?

Offshore bank account - safe from predatory lawyers?

Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:24 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough
Default Offshore bank account - safe from predatory lawyers?

Those of you who've been in the USA for a while will know that this is the land of the schyster lawyer and the hypocrite who will bend their moral compass to make a quick buck (then go to church and pretend they are upstanding citizens). Having seen someone become a victim of ridiculous lawsuit I need some advice. I live in FL and here homestead property is off limits to debt collectors, and Federal law shields retirement accounts such as 401k's. However, in preparation for retirement I am now saving a significant chunk of change in non-retirement accounts and I will be selling my house in a couple of years time. I realize this leaves me with a lot of unprotected cash in the event of a frivolous lawsuit so I'm thinking of moving it offshore. If I stash it in an account in the Channel islands, will it be safe from some grubby American lawyer's reach?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offshore bank account - safe from predatory lawyers?

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
If I stash it in an account in the Channel islands, will it be safe from some grubby American lawyer's reach?
Probably not if that grubby American lawyer works for the IRS ...
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:09 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Those of you who've been in the USA for a while will know that this is the land of the schyster lawyer and the hypocrite who will bend their moral compass to make a quick buck (then go to church and pretend they are upstanding citizens). Having seen someone become a victim of ridiculous lawsuit I need some advice. I live in FL and here homestead property is off limits to debt collectors, and Federal law shields retirement accounts such as 401k's. However, in preparation for retirement I am now saving a significant chunk of change in non-retirement accounts and I will be selling my house in a couple of years time. I realize this leaves me with a lot of unprotected cash in the event of a frivolous lawsuit so I'm thinking of moving it offshore. If I stash it in an account in the Channel islands, will it be safe from some grubby American lawyer's reach?
I don't know why you are scared of such things, but you might be in a situation where an LLC is appropriate or at least umbrella insurance.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Predatory was an unnecessary addition to your topic heading, it would have been assumed.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Aug 14th 2012 at 3:27 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I haven't done much research - but would a trust protect properties and monies? This is something I'm just beginning to look into for myself.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I don't know why you are scared of such things, but you might be in a situation where an LLC is appropriate or at least umbrella insurance.
I agree with purchasing umbrella insurance.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:26 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nun
I don't know why you are scared of such things
someone I know just got sued. The suit first made a claim for all the third party liability he was carrying, then after the plaintiff discovered the net worth of the defendant, the suit claimed most of that net worth too. That's how it works -they figure out what you've got, then figure out a way to get it all. Even if you get the claim reduced or thrown out, you've spent a large sum defending yourself and your assets.
Yes - umbrella coverage seems to be the thing. I had heard of it before, but never really investigated it till today since most of my assets were protected one way or another. Thanks for the tip! Sadly, after 20 years in the US I am growing to dislike the place more each year. I shall definitely be moving elsewhere when I retire.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:28 pm
Occasionally here

Originally Posted by md95065
Probably not if that grubby American lawyer works for the IRS ...
I'm not talking tax evasion - just protecting my stuff from civil lawsuits. I guess you've never been sued or don't know anyone who has. Watch out - live here long enough and it will happen.....