Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Offered a move to Connecticut

Offered a move to Connecticut

Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offered a move to Connecticut

Originally Posted by Ped moving to CT
I would get basic medical insurance. What does the "basic" mean...?
It means don't get sick.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It means don't get sick.
or if you do...make sure you don't end up spending any time in hospital...be cheaper if you die!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He is quite a way from Greenwich and the commute by car and/or train would kill him. Also he does not earn enough to rent a place in Greenwich. Stamford is a bit more doable but still a nice 45 to 60 minute commute to Norwalk. Absolutely no way on earth to live in NYC and commute to Norwalk on a daily basis. If he is going just for the nightlife and sow his wild oats then Norwalk and it's not close proximity to NYC is not the place for him to be. If he is to have a nightlife with heavy drinking that is the norm that I've seen from the expats here, then he certainly can't drive back to Norwalk after a night out and trains stop running at 1 p.m.

I think you are a little mixed up about the location of Norwalk. It is well within commuting distance of NYC with express trains morning and evening. It is only ten minutes on the MTA train from Norwalk to Stamford, with Greenwich just a little further. It is the fact that lower Fairfield County is in the NYC commuter belt that makes it so expensive.

However, I-95 -- the main road connecting New Haven, Westport, Norwalk, Stamford, and Greenwich -- is a parking lot at rush hour, so the train is the best option. At the weekend, the last train leaves Grand Central at 1:40 am and gets back to Norwalk an hour later, so lots of time to get loaded and stagger onto the train.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I think you are a little mixed up about the location of Norwalk. It is well within commuting distance of NYC with express trains morning and evening. It is only ten minutes on the MTA train from Norwalk to Stamford, with Greenwich just a little further. It is the fact that lower Fairfield County is in the NYC commuter belt that makes it so expensive.

However, I-95 -- the main road connecting New Haven, Westport, Norwalk, Stamford, and Greenwich -- is a parking lot at rush hour, so the train is the best option. At the weekend, the last train leaves Grand Central at 1:40 am and gets back to Norwalk an hour later, so lots of time to get loaded and stagger onto the train.
that being said, he would really struggle to live in NYC on that salary.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
that being said, he would really struggle to live in NYC on that salary.
I wasn't suggesting that he live there -- just that it would be perfectly feasible to go into the city to party at the weekend. In terms of where he could afford to live -- other than looking for a share -- the opposite direction from NYC would be more affordable, somewhere like Stratford, Milford, or parts of Fairfield.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My current salary in the UK is £35k. I’ve been offered $67k / £41k upon relocation. I may still negotiate this up a little. Considering I’m moving from London to CT, what sort of relative amounts are these? What sort of tax etc would I expect to pay – is it any different for expats on a visa than US citizens?

Cost of renting. I can see the rents of rooms and flats, but what sort of extras would get put on top? Say, an agency puts a flat up for $1200 pm. Roughly what extra things would go on that and how much might they cost? Obviously this is an estimate, but $200pm or $1kpm ??
Cost of living will be very similar to what your used to, as will the level of taxes.

Rent, don't know about the area, but I had a rent thread in the trailer park you could check out for a glimpse of what people are paying.

If your looking for an agency to find you a place, your looking at a months rent for a fee, probably first/last and then either one to three months worth on top for deposit. Heating can be $150-300 a month, electric around $100-150, cable/internet/phone $150, plus insurance.

If your only planning on being here a couple years, might not be worth bringing over anything with you large like furniture, generally isn't anyway unless it's quality stuff.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Undefeckable will become famous soon enough

If this is intended as a long term move, get something in writing from them that they will not only pay the costs associated with getting a green card (L1 visas seem to be a good starting point from which to obtain permanent residency), but also get them to put a time on it.

You may find yourself firmly over a barrel if you're there on an L1 with the carrot of a green card being dangled in front of you by your company...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

By the way, one thing I forgot to mention -- the OP wanted a place with some life to it: South Norwalk has decent restaurants, clubs, and a young scene happening. One of the more hip areas in Fairfield County. The whole town has undergone a lot of gentrification in recent years and attracts young professionals, whereas Greenwich and Westport are old money, and Stamford is a mix of corporate and inner-city. Stratford and Milford are more blue collar.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:58 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd get up to $5k relocation, to be spent on hotel, flight, shipping etc.
That sounds very low indeed! What would you be shipping? Is this supposed to cover hotel when you arrive while you're sorting out a place and car hire too?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
That sounds very low indeed! What would you be shipping? Is this supposed to cover hotel when you arrive while you're sorting out a place and car hire too?
Can you even fly first class for that little?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:21 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can you even fly first class for that little?
When I moved in 2005 my lot only stumped for economy, although we flew first thanks to some "behind the scenes" help from an employee fiend.

That said, I think the company budgeted more like $30K for our move, which included (for the benefit of the OP):

- flights
- condo for first 3 months
- car for first 3 months
- shipping belongings
- pre-move recce for both of us (1 week flights, accommodation, transportation and meals)
- tax prep for first 3 years
- annual return flights to UK for both of us for first 3 years

Also got medical insurance with no deductibles for first 3 years before moving to company standard policy, and general help hooking us up with a bank (for a mortgage) and realtor, insurance broker etc.