Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T Am I weird, that this angers me?

O/T Am I weird, that this angers me?

Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:58 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: O/T Am I weird, that this angers me?

Just saw additional information in the paper about this story.
What's Next:

The Birchill family is working with an Atlanta immigration attorney to speed up the process. They also plan to contact U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood's office to see whether there is anything he can do to help.

Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T Am I weird, that this angers me?

Bluesails hits the nail very firmly on the head. Well said!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Bluesails hits the nail very firmly on the head. Well said!

But then hitting a screw with a hammer is not going to work well.

Immigration is not an problem which can be fixed with the stroke or two of a hammer but needs the slow and steady pressure applied by a screwdriver.

First and foremost, the parents were at fault and now are demanding their "government" fix their parental error. Such good US Citizens that they never apparently bothered to learn the rules and regulations of their country before they took to studying the bible, if that was the nature of their religious missionary work.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:33 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Talking Re: O/T Am I weird, that this angers me?

I completely agree, Rete... but be careful... this is the Bible Belt.
Write or say anything like you just did, and it would be considered blasphemy *lol*

Petra
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

bluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud ofbluesails has much to be proud of

A screw!! Yes, that is exactly it...

Originally Posted by Rete

Immigration is not an problem which can be fixed with the stroke or two of a hammer but needs the slow and steady pressure applied by a screwdriver.

First and foremost, the parents were at fault and now are demanding their "government" fix their parental error. Such good US Citizens that they never apparently bothered to learn the rules and regulations of their country before they took to studying the bible, if that was the nature of their religious missionary work.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I think the newspaper chose the wrong (and unfortunately only a single) case to bring forth a very valid point: the total inefficiency of the US civil service and its lack of accountability to its customers.

This sloppiness is not confined to immigration matter but endemic throughout most of the US bureaucracy. As a further example, I would present the social security disability system. I worked for some time in the US with so-called co-occurring individuals (those with a mental illness and substance abuse problem). These folks were entitled to apply for payments from the social security system and I would aid them completing the application. From delivery to the first payment took 6 to 12 months. They then had so much money owing, they would be instructed to spend the money quickly in order to still be eligible. That’s right, giving an addict a few thousand and telling them to spend it quickly…

There is no reason that any personal application to any government department can’t and shouldn’t be processed in 30 days maximum. If you can’t discover that the applicant isn’t eligible in that time, you never will! Bit like the brainless though amusing Starr and Clinton fiasco really!

If there aren’t enough employees, hire some more. If the employees aren’t efficient enough, sack the management. It can’t be beyond the ability of the US to have a bureaucracy functioning with some semblance of efficiency; after all, they did manage to put a man on the moon.

I’m sorry but I really do think it has reached the stage where it needs a hammer! A bloody big one!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I truly don't understand why there is an immigration issue in the first place??

First question I have is, what passport did she enter the US on? If she was a USC living/born in Canada, she would still have been required to show her passport to enter the US, no? I thought all USC's entering the US had to use their passport as proof of citizenship? If not her passport, then what? Why was she allowed into the country in the first place??

Also, isn't all she needs to show proof of citizenship is her birth certificate and her parents' certificates regardless of where she was born? This article makes no mention of whether the parents notified the Embassy in Canada of her birth. And if they did, what's the problem? If they folks didn't contact the Embassy, why is that a problem?

If the parents are USCs (whether by birth or naturalized), why should their daughter have to go through an immigration process in order to get a bloody SSN? Does the gov't think they kidnapped this girl and she really isn't their daughter or something? My anger at this article is mainly due to the fact that she has to go through an immigration process in her own country.

I don't expect to be treated special, but I would expect to be treated like a citizen in my own country as well as my children, regardless of where they are born. To me, the whole situation shouldn't be a situation. She should just be handed a SSN, be allowed to work, and be eligible for grants just like every other USC's child no matter where she was born (assuming the parents meet the criterion).
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:04 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra
Just saw additional information in the paper about this story.
What's Next:

The Birchill family is working with an Atlanta immigration attorney to speed up the process. They also plan to contact U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood's office to see whether there is anything he can do to help.

Too bad they didn't contact the attorney earlier on, to prevent this problem.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:11 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I think the newspaper chose the wrong (and unfortunately only a single) case to bring forth a very valid point: the total inefficiency of the US civil service and its lack of accountability to its customers.
Just because something might take a while (especially in light of their work load) does not mean they are totally inefficient. They "do" process applications and petitions, and with the amount of work they must perform, one might argue they must be making an efficient use of their time and limited resources. And they are accountable, but maybe not as easy to contact as one might like, or might not agree with a customer's assessment of the nature of the problem.

There is no reason that any personal application to any government department can’t and shouldn’t be processed in 30 days maximum.
Limited funding, and enough customers where it takes a while to reach the officer's desk. Plus they get directives from Congress and the administration occasionally saying stop what you are doing and make this other thing your priority for the time being. There are many factors that come into play, but I can tell you that during my many, many, many tours of the service centers, I've never once witnessed an officer or contract employee just sitting around doing nothing.

If there aren’t enough employees, hire some more. If the employees aren’t efficient enough, sack the management.
Easier said than done. They "are" bringing on more staff (from time to time) but they don't get to decide their own budget for staff and overtime hours. Plus, did you know that most USCIS officers (including management) are "union" employees

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Apr 27th 2005 at 10:17 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:22 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Just because...
Hi Matthew,

We need something to compare them to. Having moved around a lot in my life and been self-employed for much of it, I can honestly say that the US government bureaucracy scores a big fat 'F' in my book. Basically they have all the features of a second or third world country with the sole exception that they are not easily bribable.

As an example, how long does it take for Brit to take their US wife to the UK? If someone comes on this board and says I USC are marrying UKC and we don't care if we live in either place, what would everybody's advice be?

Finally, if folks keep making excuses for them and justifying it, it's never going to get any better. Call them what they are: a total waste of space. And help your voice go towards trying to ensure this does not continue.

FB

Last edited by fatbrit; Apr 27th 2005 at 10:24 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:38 pm
Banned

Hi Matthew,

We need something to compare them to. Having moved around a lot in my life and been self-employed for much of it, I can honestly say that the US government bureaucracy scores a big fat 'F' in my book. Basically they have all the features of a second or third world country with the sole exception that they are not easily bribable.

As an example, how long does it take for Brit to take their US wife to the UK? If someone comes on this board and says I USC are marrying UKC and we don't care if we live in either place, what would everybody's advice be?

Finally, if folks keep making excuses for them and justifying it, it's never going to get any better. Call them what they are: a total waste of space. And help your voice go towards trying to ensure this does not continue.

FB
Oh, I think there is room for them to make improvements, but I also acknowledge that they "have" made a lot of improvements since I stated my practice. The amount of funding to allocate to the USCIS is "definitely" a political question, and if you want faster service, be sure to contact your representatives. But also make sure you tell them that you want more of your tax dollars allocated to immigration even after you have no more need for the agency.

They are doing important work and are swamped with that work. They are working to bestow great gifts on the beneficiaries (who don't have a "right" to come to America). This is not McDonalds and unfortunately at the current time, there is no instant gratification awaiting someone at the drive thru petition approval and/or visa pick up window.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Oh, I think there is room for them to make improvements, but I also acknowledge that they "have" made a lot of improvements since I stated my practice. The amount of funding to allocate to the USCIS is "definitely" a political question, and if you want faster service, be sure to contact your representatives. But also make sure you tell them that you want more of your tax dollars allocated to immigration even after you have no more need for the agency.

They are doing important work and are swamped with that work. They are working to bestow great gifts on the beneficiaries (who don't have a "right" to come to America). This is not McDonalds and unfortunately at the current time, there is no instant gratification awaiting someone at the drive thru petition approval and/or visa pick up window.

I acknowledge the improvements -- they are doing better, even if it is occasionally by fudging the figures, Brit NHS style!

But just look from the outside rather than your inside view. IMO, an N400 @$320, as an example, should cost the government next to nothing to process. I don't think an unfair wage for an admin assistant is $20/hr. The form can't possibly take more than 5 hours to process. Even when you've supervised them, given 'em a roof an office with a nice carpet and paid into their pension fund, there's still some room for a little profit. And why o' why should it take anything more than 30 days to process max. I don't even expect them to be as efficient as the fastfood industry because in return I would like them to preserve their morals.

My stand is here: 30 days max for most applications; an independent ombudsman with real power for every government department and freely accessible to the customers; a written and enforced charter for customer service.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are entitled to your opinion. Rather nice that you were allowed to voice it without ridicule.

This sloppiness is not confined to immigration matter but endemic throughout most of the US bureaucracy. As a further example, I would present the social security disability system. I worked for some time in the US with so-called co-occurring individuals (those with a mental illness and substance abuse problem). These folks were entitled to apply for payments from the social security system and I would aid them completing the application. From delivery to the first payment took 6 to 12 months. They then had so much money owing, they would be instructed to spend the money quickly in order to still be eligible. That’s right, giving an addict a few thousand and telling them to spend it quickly…

There is no reason that any personal application to any government department can’t and shouldn’t be processed in 30 days maximum. If you can’t discover that the applicant isn’t eligible in that time, you never will! Bit like the brainless though amusing Starr and Clinton fiasco really!

If there aren’t enough employees, hire some more. If the employees aren’t efficient enough, sack the management. It can’t be beyond the ability of the US to have a bureaucracy functioning with some semblance of efficiency; after all, they did manage to put a man on the moon.

I’m sorry but I really do think it has reached the stage where it needs a hammer! A bloody big one!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

sea_dave is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Petra
This was on the front page of the Augusta Chronicle ( http://www.augustachronicle.com ) this morning:

Teen's future lies in limbo

In Jennifer Birchill's mind, she is as American as apple pie. Her parents are American, her siblings are American and her boyfriend is preparing to serve the United States in the Iraq war. But the U.S. government disagrees.

Because the 17-year-old was born in Canada while her parents served there as missionaries, she has to go through the immigration process to be sanctioned as an official U.S. citizen. It is a lengthy process that is preventing her from pursuing her college dreams, accepting a HOPE scholarship or applying for a student loan. Weeks before graduation from Westside High School, Jennifer's entire future is on hold.

"I can't work at all, and I can't get a learner's permit to drive. And so there is no way for me to pay for college. I am kind of at an end until I get it," she said.

When Jennifer was born in 1987, her American-born parents were working as missionaries in Canada. The Birchill family returned to the United States four years ago.

Last fall, Jennifer discovered she couldn't get a Social Security number until she completed form N-600 for children born abroad to American parents. She applied in November, and she is still awaiting approval.

Jennifer is not the only one whose life is on hold because of processing at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In fact, the backlog became so bad that President Bush ordered the agency to reduce the wait time to six months by 2006. "We are almost there already, and we are not even in the middle of 2005," spokeswoman Ana Santiago said Tuesday.

Service Director Eduardo Aguirre told Congress last summer that the agency had a plan to erase the backlog by September 2006. He pledged to reallocate resources and modernize outdated computer systems. The agency's backlog reached a record high 3.8 million cases in January 2004. Immigration officials reduced it to 1.5 million by September.

But the backlog can have an impact. Jennifer said she spent her high school years making good grades to qualify for a HOPE scholarship. She wants to be a genetic counselor and help parents who have children with birth defects or who might be at risk for a variety of inherited conditions.

The complicated immigration policies have stopped her cold. An immigration attorney told her the backlog could mean waiting as long as three years.
"That is ridiculous," says her mother, Lynne.

The parents tried to call the immigration services office and ask about speeding up the process, but getting anyone on the phone was impossible, they said. It's all automated. Ms. Santiago said they could sign up for an appointment by logging on to the agency's Web site, www.uscis. gov.

The family has tried that for several months. They keep getting the same response, a reply repeated on their computer screen Tuesday: "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

On Tuesday, Ms. Santiago responded to a 1- week-old inquiry from The Augusta Chronicle and said the Birchill case should be wrapped up "by the end of the year." It all seems silly to the Birchill family. Jennifer is an American citizen without the certificate to prove it. Jennifer's options are dwindling just weeks before graduation.

Her parents are unable to pay for her college tuition, and Jennifer cannot take out a loan without a Social Security number. She can't even earn money herself for college because she can't work or drive. So, as she waits for the government bureaucracy to work, Jennifer is considering her options.

She can move to Denver and become a nanny for her brother's 3-week-old son. She can borrow the money for college from her sister and spend years paying her back. She will be eligible for the HOPE scholarship when all the immigration hurdles are cleared. Her mother just wants the government to work faster.

"We just wish they would speed things up," she said.

where is augusta? is that cuba?
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
Septicity

Rather nice that you were allowed to voice it without ridicule.
That's the difference between opinion and facts, I believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.