NZ to USA

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice
Default NZ to USA

Hello,
Myself, my wife and daughter are currently residing in New Zealand under a Permanent Residence Visa. This is the second time round that we have lived in NZ, the first was from 2003-06.

We are kind of getting 'down' about the place and this we need to discuss but we think it might be because we've been here before, it's not the place for us to settle or that there's not much going on. We are UK citizens and miss the culture and heritage that the UK had to offer, NZ doesn't have much of this.

So, we arrived at the states idea. So, we were then wondering which city? My professional is Graphic Design and I need to be in in cultural city or region. We also would like a snowy winter and warm summers and maybe near a beach for our surfing interests.

My question is which state, or city? I guess I would have to apply for a job to be awarded a visa too.

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

thanks for your time
Graham
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ to USA

Hi Graham. I wouldn't worry about which state/city yet, as you're a long way off from that.

Your first concern needs to be the visa - do be aware that the US is notorious as the most difficult country to emigrate to, so it will be very different from your NZ experience.

Have a read of this to see if you think you may qualify for any visa, and if so you can then come back and ask about it............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Once you've figured out the visa side of things, then you can concentrate on the finer details.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 2nd 2011 at 11:53 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamwookie
Hello,
Myself, my wife and daughter are currently residing in New Zealand under a Permanent Residence Visa. This is the second time round that we have lived in NZ, the first was from 2003-06.

We are kind of getting 'down' about the place and this we need to discuss but we think it might be because we've been here before, it's not the place for us to settle or that there's not much going on. We are UK citizens and miss the culture and heritage that the UK had to offer, NZ doesn't have much of this.

So, we arrived at the states idea. So, we were then wondering which city? My professional is Graphic Design and I need to be in in cultural city or region. We also would like a snowy winter and warm summers and maybe near a beach for our surfing interests.

My question is which state, or city? I guess I would have to apply for a job to be awarded a visa too.

Any ideas or advice would be gratefully received.

thanks for your time
Graham
Graham, if you miss the culture and heritage of the UK then moving to the US wont help you. This is still a new country in relative terms and in my opinion seriously lacking in culture and heritage. These are just two of the reasons that I have decided after being here for 10 years that the US isn't the place for me.

Good luck
Linda
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

We are UK citizens and miss the culture and heritage that the UK had to offer, NZ doesn't have much of this.
so why did you leave? twice?

no offence mate, but I can't see you moving to America based on the info you've given.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
This is still a new country in relative terms and in my opinion seriously lacking in culture and heritage.
complete and utter bollocks.

go see the Anasazi cave dwellings, or go to Clovis in New Mexico....

There is plenty of culture and Heritage here.
You just can't find it on American Idol.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
complete and utter bollocks.

go see the Anasazi cave dwellings, or go to Clovis in New Mexico....

There is plenty of culture and Heritage here.
You just can't find it on American Idol.
hmmm ... well I very nearly took your bait and left some rude and caustic reply to your above comments, but then that would have brought me down your level.

I've traveled the country and visited various historic sights here and there, but you're hardly immersed in heritage and culture as you are in the UK, so I stand by my original post.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:00 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm ... well I very nearly took your bait and left some rude and caustic reply to your above comments, but then that would have brought me down your level.
But you still left an insult anyway. Welcome down to this level!!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nettlebed
But you still left an insult anyway. Welcome down to this level!!
sarcasm is just lost on some people
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:36 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

sarcasm is just lost on some people
Sarcasm: that's right...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your question should be what visa foremost...actually that's the only relevance, unless one of you is already a USC. The link in the wiki posted a bit above is top reading.

Not eligible for a visa then forget it....and your best bet is a company transfer, graphic designers are a dime a dozen, so getting an employer to go to the considerable cost and hassle of sponsoring one is very unlikely to happen unless you happen to be world class.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've traveled the country and visited various historic sights here and there...
I'm willing to bet that Manc is far more travelled in the US than you'll ever be.

... but you're hardly immersed in heritage and culture as you are in the UK, so I stand by my original post.
Manc lives in the US. I can't imagine how you determined that he lives in the UK.

Ian
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm willing to bet that Manc is far more travelled in the US than you'll ever be.

Manc lives in the US. I can't imagine how you determined that he lives in the UK.

Ian
I read his profile and can see where he lives and what he does for a living.... and by the way you'd lose your bet.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:47 pm
Shocked of Redmond

I read his profile and can see where he lives and what he does for a living.... and by the way you'd lose your bet.
My, my! It looks like someone got out the wrong side of the bed this year...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:10 pm
@matthewb76

I've traveled the country and visited various historic sights here and there, but you're hardly immersed in heritage and culture as you are in the UK, so I stand by my original post.
culture and heritage doesn't begin and end with castles and dry stone walls........

give examples?

Every major city in the UK and USA has art galleries, symphony orchestras, playhouses, theatres, zoo's. I see no difference really other than when some of them were built.

But the USA has just as much history as the UK, if you consider that the USA didn't begin when a bunch of knobs landed at plymouth rock.

The UK just has all it's culture and heritage squeezed onto a small island, concentration does not equate to more........ and you know, familiarity, breeds familiarity.

I stand by my comment that you were talking bollocks.

and who's seen more of the country is just a side arguement.....

Last edited by Manc; Jan 2nd 2011 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'd argue with you, but your sweeping generalizations aren't worth the effort to pick apart!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.