Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYPD and my windscreen

NYPD and my windscreen

Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:26 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default NYPD and my windscreen

Today whilst waiting at a red light, the big white van in front of me decided to reverse straight into the front of my car with quite a bit of force. The driver looked at me through his wing mirror, checking me out I guess idk. I wondered if he'd pull over so we could exchange insurance info but as soon as the light turned green he sped off. I decided to follow him and he hightailed it round the block but had to stop at a red light, so I took my chance and snapped a pic of his license plate on my phone. He knew I was following him because again, as soon as the light turned red he sped off, across 3 lanes of traffic nearly causing an accident.

I turned into a grocery store parking lot on the corner and called the police so I could file an accident report, plus I had a giant crack in my windscreen I thought I better get a police witness to.
The police showed up and started doing paperwork and asking me brilliant questions like, "why did he back into you if you were at a red light?" (seriously how am I supposed to know the answer to this?)
Anyway when the two police officers got out to look at the damage to my car, they told me there was no way that the crack in my windscreen could've been caused by the van backing into the front of my car. The policeman basically said "if he didn't crack your grill, he couldn't have cracked your windshield" then the police woman with him told me that it must have been a stone that did it.
Then the cop said "this isn't a police report anymore" they got back in their car and drove off.
Obviously upon seeing my cracked windshield they both presumed I was lying about the whole thing and decided not to do anything else.

Apart from being enormously pissed off about NY's finest being douchey with me I was wondering if anyone with car knowledge can verify that someone backing into me can cause a cracked windshield. Because I'm starting to think that I had a 2 foot long crack in it that I just didn't notice before.

Last edited by Sarah; Nov 24th 2011 at 6:29 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:35 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYPD and my windscreen

Don't know mate about the crack in the windshield but I would walk into the local cop shop and file a compliant if you think the cops were being unfair!!

With it being TG they probably think they have bigger fish to fry!!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't mention about being an OWS supporter did you?

Seriously though, there are experts who can determine how damage was caused in the event of an accident being challenged in court. Maybe your insurance company would know who to contact? It would probably cost you though and it might just be cheaper to replace the screen.

I was watching one of those "peoples court" programs on TV a while ago and the victim was arguing that the person who ran into him caused the damage with the help of an independent expert who testified as such and he won the case.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Don't know mate about the crack in the windshield but I would walk into the local cop shop and file a compliant if you think the cops were being unfair!!
Good luck with that ...
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:10 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Good luck with that ...
I know wishful thinking but you never know!!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Today whilst waiting at a red light, the big white van in front of me decided to reverse straight into the front of my car with quite a bit of force. The driver looked at me through his wing mirror, checking me out I guess idk. I wondered if he'd pull over so we could exchange insurance info but as soon as the light turned green he sped off. I decided to follow him and he hightailed it round the block but had to stop at a red light, so I took my chance and snapped a pic of his license plate on my phone. He knew I was following him because again, as soon as the light turned red he sped off, across 3 lanes of traffic nearly causing an accident.

I turned into a grocery store parking lot on the corner and called the police so I could file an accident report, plus I had a giant crack in my windscreen I thought I better get a police witness to.
The police showed up and started doing paperwork and asking me brilliant questions like, "why did he back into you if you were at a red light?" (seriously how am I supposed to know the answer to this?)
Anyway when the two police officers got out to look at the damage to my car, they told me there was no way that the crack in my windscreen could've been caused by the van backing into the front of my car. The policeman basically said "if he didn't crack your grill, he couldn't have cracked your windshield" then the police woman with him told me that it must have been a stone that did it.
Then the cop said "this isn't a police report anymore" they got back in their car and drove off.
Obviously upon seeing my cracked windshield they both presumed I was lying about the whole thing and decided not to do anything else.

Apart from being enormously pissed off about NY's finest being douchey with me I was wondering if anyone with car knowledge can verify that someone backing into me can cause a cracked windshield. Because I'm starting to think that I had a 2 foot long crack in it that I just didn't notice before.
Go back to the Intersection and see if there are any cameras over-looking the accident spot.

It is possible to crack a windshield, through body movement/stress.

Have you gone through any tolls, recently, where your car may have been captured on state-owned cameras? Complain to NYPD about the Officers failing to do their job.

Jim.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
It is possible to crack a windshield, through body movement/stress.
That's what I was thinking but proving it could be difficult without an expert opinion and/or video of the event. Even if CCTV was available, I don't know how she would go about obtaining it. FOIA?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:39 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Examine the windshield... if a stone ever caused the crack in the first place, chances are you'd see a small pit/chip where a stone etc hit the windshield, which can open up more due to vibration etc. I'd ask body shops and glass shops about how possible is it for a windshield to crack from transfer of energy under such condition as you experienced.

Is the shield under warranty? Most are, due to stress fractures, but not for chips. Yes, you could get a stress fracture which is failure of the windshield.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What a horrible experience Sarah. Sorry I don't know what you could do about it but just wanted to sympathise!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Sarah...hopefully you are OK.

Write to Mayor Bloomberg. A NYC cop gave us a parking ticket before the meter had run out. He was writing it out when we returned to the car. When my husband pointed out that we were still with the time limit...he shrugged his shoulders...said tough luck and walked away. We wrote to the Mayor and the ticket was cancelled.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:38 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry to hear that Sarah...hopefully you are OK.

Write to Mayor Bloomberg. A NYC cop gave us a parking ticket before the meter had run out. He was writing it out when we returned to the car. When my husband pointed out that we were still with the time limit...he shrugged his shoulders...said tough luck and walked away. We wrote to the Mayor and the ticket was cancelled.
I just read your story to my hubs and he said "yep the police are out of control." Its strange because just the other night I was reading about Terry Gilliam (the monty python guy now film director) and his reasons for wanting to leave America and move to England came after he was stopped and hassled by police a bunch of times for having long hair.
My husband has loathed the NYPD ever since I've known him, not loathed exactly but been enormously distrustful and disdainful of all police, the NYPD especially. I always thought he was overreacting tbh, but as time goes on everyone I meet here seems to have a story similar to yours or mine about the police behaving badly. My hubs joked I was lucky he didn't casually pepper spray me for calling them on Thanksgiving LOL
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:45 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Examine the windshield... if a stone ever caused the crack in the first place, chances are you'd see a small pit/chip where a stone etc hit the windshield, which can open up more due to vibration etc. I'd ask body shops and glass shops about how possible is it for a windshield to crack from transfer of energy under such condition as you experienced.

Is the shield under warranty? Most are, due to stress fractures, but not for chips. Yes, you could get a stress fracture which is failure of the windshield.
There is a little dint in the middle of the crack so perhaps that was always there and I just didn't see it? Its not under warranty I'm afraid and the police said it would be up to my insurance company to go after the guy that did it, not the police, which I was all WTF? about but I'm not exactly familiar with the way these things work so I didn't say anything. It looks like we'll probably just have to pay for it ourselves tbh
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Does your insurance cover a new windshield? Many policies often do even with a 3rd party only cover. I've had a couple replaced (with 3rd party and comprehensive coverage) over the years and never had to pay for it.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Our insurance also covers windscreen cracks etc, and are fixed free of charge. Sorry to hear of your encounter with the NYPD, and just hope that you're okay. Just a whole load of hassle you could probably do without
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:56 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a little dint in the middle of the crack so perhaps that was always there and I just didn't see it? Its not under warranty I'm afraid and the police said it would be up to my insurance company to go after the guy that did it, not the police, which I was all WTF? about but I'm not exactly familiar with the way these things work so I didn't say anything. It looks like we'll probably just have to pay for it ourselves tbh
That sucks... including the dealings with nypd.

Similar thing happened with my windshield... got in the car one cold morning to find a 4 inch crack from the top by the rear mirror. I went back to the glass shop and we found a faint knick in the tinted area from a stone or pebble which happened yonks ago.. so the cold opened it right up. Since it was a stone, not covered by warranty. Still, I think that I'll see if I can blend it with a sharpie, act dumb and hope they don't notice! The shield is only 8 months old too. Its part of my coverage but hey, $100 dollars or free replacement... I'll try free first!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.