Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC or Suburb?

NYC or Suburb?

Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:40 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: NYC or Suburb?

Originally Posted by mdouglas
Thanks again for your replies. Apparently my husband is meant to be meeting with HR this week to go over the details in the expat package.

We will be staying in Manhattan during our visit at the end of the month. In terms of flying into the city, is it easier to fly into Newark or JFK?
In my experience when flying in on international flights it is definitely easier flying into Newark, especially if flying with BA or Virgin Atlantic. Newark (EWR) only has three terminals and it's easier to get in and out of the airport (less traffic) and actually is slightly shorter in distance to Manhatten.

You can book a car service online to 'meet & greet' you as you walk into the international arrivals hall to take you to your hotel...quicker than waiting in line for a taxi and they're grottier than the Lincoln Town cars the limo companies use (and believe it or not are as cheap and often cheaper than an airport taxi!). They will also pick you up at your hotel and take you back to the airport for your journey back to the UK. Your company may have their own preferred limo company eg. Air Brook.

I've only ever used Carmel Limos, the other big car service in NY which goes to the area airports is Dial 7 - but both are owned by the same parent company:

http://carmelcarservice.com/

http://www.dial7.com/
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

mdouglas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC or Suburb?

Brilliant, thank you! We have chosen to fly with United into Newark. We are arriving on a Saturday so hopefully traffic will be reasonable.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Untitled 3
For neighborhoods in Manhattan for a family I recommend: West Village, TriBeCa, Upper East Side and Upper West Side.
Those suggestions are spot on.

I lived in NYC while I attended Uni and loved every minute. It's an experience I knew I would only get once and I was so glad I did it. I say embrace the opportunity. The suburbs are so dull. (I was born and raised in them).
Old Oct 8th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Battery Park City - it has become very family-friendly in recent years and is a little cheaper than Tribeca. There are parks, playgrounds, good schools, malls etc... It's surprisingly suburban, but literally minutes from downtown.

I've lived here for four years and love it.