Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NY or back to blighty?

NY or back to blighty?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NY or back to blighty?

Remember that it can take up to 30 mins to get from Grand Central or Penn to your office if you work, say, far downtown and not near an express subway stop.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY or back to blighty?

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Hiya!

Currently, we have 2 options.. relocate with company to work in Manhattan, or go back to UK and stay with family and be jobless.

So we are exploring Manhattan, but know we are not City people. So the "burbs it is. Can anyone recommend nice areas to live in (3+ bedroom house witth yard etc) which has train transport links into Grand Central Station/ Penn Station with as few changes as possible in less than 90 minutes.

I am happy to do my own research etc.. city-data is great, but a couple of town names would be a helpful starting point.

Off to NY for 3 days in a couple of weeks for a rekkie, so that'll help.

Would be great if anyone had any personal recommendations, or even if you think we would be better of start over back in blighty?

We are so nervous about this. We love the Bay Area, and would rather not have to leave, but need to go where the work is!
Oh no! Sorry to hear about this - I guess this means hubby's job got consolidated back to NY? Oh well, the adventure continues! Maybe you'll enjoy it like I'm enjoying AZ. Once the green card comes through (I presume that's on the cards?) you can consider moving back here.

I have a few buddies doing exactly what you are considering - living in NJ, commuting to Manhattan. They all love NJ - some great, upscale places. If you tell me where exactly the job is (not the company, just the intersection/etc) I'll ask my buddies about travel options.

And if you want to come back to the Bay Area, I may be interested in renting out my place in WC!

Good Luck!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: NY or back to blighty?

Maplewood and South Orange, NJ

(Both served by NJ Transit 'Midtown Direct' trains to Penn Station - with no change of trains (Morris & Essex Line). Trains also to Hoboken, NJ for PATH subway trains and ferries across the Hudson to the WTC/financial district :

Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: NY or back to blighty?

Millburn and Short Hills, NJ

Millburn is the next stop on the train going west of Maplewood (3 mins journey) and Short Hills is 6 mins from Maplewood....approx 18-20 miles west of Manhatten: