Nursing

Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

nads2184 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing

Hi all,

As the thread title are there any uk nurses who made it across the pond? What was your experience?

Nad
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing

I'm an Aussie nurse, but I made it here! I have been here 4.5yrs. Just graduated as an NP recently and starting a new job in a month or so. Love it here. The NCLEX/CGFNS nightmare seems a long time ago..
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Nursing

Hi there and thanks for the response.

The NCLEX/CGFN is daunting and wondering if i should even bother esp with retrogression. I gonsiserd Aussie but never been there dont know anything about the lifestyle there or anything.

Nad
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:21 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

First things first before worrying about exams..... how are you going to work in the US? Are you a US Citizen?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

I am not a citizen.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Then your first consideration should be what visa you would be eligible for.

You should note that it has been reported on this board that in the current fiscal climate it is very difficult to get a company to sponsor you for a work visa in this field, since there are plenty of American resident nurses around that are not working, and to hire you and sponsor you would cost in the region of 5 thousand dollars.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:29 am
Just Joined

it would be employment based visa. But as I am aware of the current situation I know it may take several years or it may never happen. So is it air to say that I should try somewhere else? Just wanted others opinion who have made it through.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:31 am
Often not so civil...

Not at all, if you are aware that this may be a longer term plan then it seems a sensible goal to pursue. However some have come on to BE previously and have been less informed than you clearly are, so it's always a good idea to give them the facts
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:37 am
Just Joined

I agree totally, but thank you. It is a long term goal but I would like to be out sooner or experience another culture in health care just for a while. So I will look at other countries? Would you recommend any?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nads2184
As the thread title are there any uk nurses who made it across the pond? What was your experience?
Due to retrogression, there are no visas for nurses... and there are unlikely to be any in the foreseeable future (read = at least 10 years). End of story.

So, that means an employment-based H-1B visa for you - and, as has already been noted, it's unlikely that a US hospital (or other company) would want to spend many $thousands to sponsor you with no US qualifications and no US experience - moreso, when there are already lots of unemployed (or even newly graduated) nurses who can start work tomorrow and don't need to be sponsored.

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but it's the reality of the current economic climate in the US.

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nads2184
Would you recommend any?
Canada. It's culturally similar to the US, and yet still a Commonwealth country! Much easier vis-a-vis immigration... even for nurses.

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Not harsh at all @ Ian.

I did think about Canada but had no idea how to start with or even look as the whole providence situation confused me a bit.

Nad
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

COB76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nads,

I replied to your post in the Welcome section on this subject too; in short, I would recommend Canada any day of the week. IMO the way of life is greatly better in just about every way (I met my USC partner whilst she was living in Canada).

The guys in the Canada section will do everything they can to help you out.

Good luck. Never know, one day I might be over in that section again too...

COB

Last edited by COB76; Aug 13th 2012 at 4:13 pm. Reason: make mores sense
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of Brits who are nurses here, can probably search those threads out for experience.

If you're hoping to find sponsorship to get here based on being a nurse, you might as well forget about it though.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

I have put the US on hold and will pursue Canada instead.

Thank you :-)

Nad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.