Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Now thats an APR !

Now thats an APR !

Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:04 am
Just Joined

avlm24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Now thats an APR !

I have started looking at getting a car loan.
The first dealer I approached tentatively quoted me an APR of 17.99%.
It was end of the day, so they couldn't get hold of all the bank they do business with, but this was what came out of whoever they did contact.

Just wanted to get a feel for other experiences out there in terms of interest they got when they went out there just after landing in the US.

I bank with BoA. Is it worth checking with them ?

Mind it, I only got my SSN a few days ago.

BTW I did apply for a credit card, and it should arrive(not sure with what credit limit though)

Will keep you all posted on how my car loan hunt goes.

In the mean time please keep those words of wisdom coming

Cheers.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now thats an APR !

What company was the credit card with?
Old Oct 26th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avlm24
Just wanted to get a feel for other experiences out there in terms of interest they got when they went out there just after landing in the US.
I was not able to get anything at the end of 2009.

My advice is try a local credit union.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Should have applied same time you applied for the credit card, so that they would have been soft dings. If they weren't, they would come up as multiple dings on your record and that's as bad as not having a record.

Rate will depend on what you put for a deposit and the over all cost of the motor etc.

Credit Union will likely be more forgiving.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Its usually best NOT to have a dealership arrange or 'assist' with financing. Rates and loans aren't always favorable and a dealership is usually one of the hardest 'ding' as an inquiry on your credit history/report.

don't get your credit pulled left right and center as that too may have adverse effects on your score; its a combo of how many inquiries in what time frame which can impact overall scores.