Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Originally Posted by ldobson
Well I buy all our British......Cornish Pasties....

www.myersofkeswick.com
On my one and only visit to Cornwall (so far) as wee while back - with a friend - we stopped off at Boscastle, on the north coast of Cornwall (very badly flooded some years ago but all restored when we went there). We bought some Cornish pasties ("traditional Cornish pasties" said he notice) and they were absolutely horrible, all vile and grotty tasting and quite mushy with no real substance to them - we could only eat about half way then chucked the rest into a waste bin. A day or two later we hesitated over buying two more "traditional Cornish pasties" lower down the coast in St Ives but we did and they were absolutely fantastic - the taste and the consistency and the sheer quality of them was superb. Maybe the owners of the shop in Boscastle were Polish or something, not that I would in anyway denigrate Polish cooking but I don't think they'd be all that hot at making good Cornish pasties....best left to the locals.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
There were 2 versions on the shelf today one that looked like the real deal,and one that looked more like cheerios with bits on - are you sure you picked up the right one, he asked, hopefully................?
Now I'm confused. I only saw one kind on the shelf, mine look like Cheerios and it says "Crunchy Nut Roasted Nuts and Honey" on the box. It is possible that I got the wrong one, but as for the one I got, I honestly don't think it tastes much like the original UK version (I mean, they're not corn flakes for starters, that's a bit of a handicap right there isn't it?).

Or maybe my tastebuds have just gone as I have gotten older...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
including "proper" bacon and some other items she would dearly like to have again but not available over there in the same form or not at all.
Really hope someone who maybe goes back and forth a lot can help you with this question. I know people in this thread have mentioned being allowed to bring in some closed/sealed non perishable food items, but I'm not sure about bacon. It would need to be kept cold too, so that it doesn't go bad obviously. Anyone know the answer?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
Now I'm confused. I only saw one kind on the shelf, mine look like Cheerios and it says "Crunchy Nut Roasted Nuts and Honey" on the box. It is possible that I got the wrong one, but as for the one I got, I honestly don't think it tastes much like the original UK version (I mean, they're not corn flakes for starters, that's a bit of a handicap right there isn't it?).

They have O's and Flakes....unfortunately neither anywhere near me.

Can't bring meat products into the US, so bacon is out...booo.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:45 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge

Sounds like you have got the wrong ones, these are what I have.
Attached Thumbnails The nostalgic food cravings of Brits-crunchy.jpg  
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I just broke the rule and opened the packet. I didn't want to you understand, but I felt it was in the public interest to discover and share my findings. Besides, she told me to - yes, you know who you are and you ought to be as ashamed of yourself for leading me off the straight and narrow as I am for allowing myself to be so easily led

Anyway, the "new" version are exactly like the old ones I remember - damn good. They even have that odd shiny dullness, a bit like that robo-gadgy on Terminator...In fact, they were so good I think I can see bowl #2 galloping over the horizon towards me as I type............
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:27 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I just broke the rule and opened the packet. I didn't want to you understand, but I felt it was in the public interest to discover and share my findings. Besides, she told me to - yes, you know who you are and you ought to be as ashamed of yourself for leading me off the straight and narrow as I am for allowing myself to be so easily led

Anyway, the "new" version are exactly like the old ones I remember - damn good. They even have that odd shiny dullness, a bit like that robo-gadgy on Terminator...In fact, they were so good I think I can see bowl #2 galloping over the horizon towards me as I type............
Good for you. I'm going to have some for my tea in 2 minutes, no prep time and no cleaning up afterwards. Perfect
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to finish the box before the kids even know you opened another box of cereal.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:57 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nethead
Hmm I bet they haven't reached deepest, darkest PA yet knowing my luck.
oh yes they have - because I have just bought some from Wegman's.

... I didn't realise I was missing crunchy nut cornflakes until this thread reminded me!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 6:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

... I didn't realise I was missing crunchy nut cornflakes until this thread reminded me!
The have them in Illinois too - I just caught a glimpse of them in the supermarket over lunch. Couldn't buy 'em just yet but it looked like they were on sale
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by White-ishRose

Woohooo, when it stops snowing I'll have to make a trip to wegmens.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Sounds like you have got the wrong ones, these are what I have.
Ah, I'll have to keep a look out for the corn flakes version. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:15 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

what a treat! After having cleared tracks through a foot of freshly fallen snow by 0630 this morning, so that OH could take my truck to work, to be able to come in and feast on a couple (erhem) bowls of crunchy nut cornflakes. Beats porridge into a cocked hat...

(maybe this could go, with slightly altered emphasis, into the 'what pissed you off' thread)
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just bought myself some Crunchy cornflakes from Wegmens now I need to hide them from the kids so I can eat them all myself...
Old Jan 27th 2011, 5:55 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
not that I would in anyway denigrate Polish cooking.
No it's OK, you go right ahead, it's ****ing foul.

As for Polish Chocolate, that shite will make you appreciate a Hershey bar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.