Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

I've adopted the Heinz vegetarian brand as the closest to beans at home. Bush beans have molasses in them...too sweet.
I'd kill for a Melton mobrey pork pie with a dab of mustard.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

An "All Day Breakfast" scenario at a caff in Penkridge, Staffordshire, England. A plateful of calorie packed, salt and fat laden heart attack fodder washed down by a coffee turned to black syrup by a several spoonfuls of white sugar. And all scoffed down by a banger impaling baseball cap wearing JK type chav......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgu70...feature=relmfu

I didn't like the look of the scrambled eggs! I prefer boiled eggs - not overcooked, just at the slightly runny stage and one mega big "must have" are marmite soldiers...a boiled egg without marmite soldiers is a mega big no no....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkfl74SNqCc

..apparently that was filmed in New York City! Marmite soldiers have found their way to New York City! The Americans have gone up in my estimation big time.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Sep 4th 2011 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I've adopted the Heinz vegetarian brand as the closest to beans at home.
They aren't bad...the Campbell's veg beans are worth a look too.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:39 am
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
They aren't bad...the Campbell's veg beans are worth a look too.
What I missed, amongst 100 other things, were the original Ryvita, and then found them here, but they are just not the same. On LinkedIn I bitched and moaned at the Ryvita execs who frequent there, extolling everything they do. Totally ignored! Then last week a carton with ten packets of the original arrived from their facility outside Bournemouth. No note, nothing.
I think I need to start bitching and moaning about Bentley Motors...
Old Sep 6th 2011, 12:57 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

At Cub today we found proper curry sauces in jars (the kind you add the meat to), and in the bakery we discovered garlic naan bread! My wife is currently making us the first curry since I moved here. I cannot wait!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
At Cub today we found proper curry sauces in jars (the kind you add the meat to), and in the bakery we discovered garlic naan bread! My wife is currently making us the first curry since I moved here. I cannot wait!
The garlic naan at Trader Joes is pretty good! And if you've a Hannafords, they do a pretty decent one too..now if only I could find keema without having to go to the local take out
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

I drove an hour last week to buy a curlywurly....yummy!!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:11 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by deftoneuk
I drove an hour last week to buy a curlywurly....yummy!!
I really hope you bought more than one
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I've adopted the Heinz vegetarian brand as the closest to beans at home. Bush beans have molasses in them...too sweet.
I'd kill for a Melton mobrey pork pie with a dab of mustard.
Do they have Stater Bros grocery store out there ? They sell pukka Heinz beans.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

My sister brought me two loaves of Soreen when she was visiting last week.
She didn't bring me any crumpets though
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:47 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helwardman
My sister brought me two loaves of Soreen when she was visiting last week.
She didn't bring me any crumpets though
Make some it's easy.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Make some it's easy.
Tried. Didn't come out too well and even if they had, the faff/reward ratio was too high.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by helwardman
Tried. Didn't come out too well and even if they had, the faff/reward ratio was too high.
Isn't it just some batter you blob into a can that's had both ends removed and baked/fried?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:33 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..now if only I could find keema without having to go to the local take out
Just slice open a normal one and put strawberry jam in.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:33 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't it just some batter you blob into a can that's had both ends removed and baked/fried?
Pretty much! Not sure if you can use modern cans though because of the synthetic liner, some tuna cans I think you can! Maybe one's labeled organic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.