British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Northern lass in New York:Gay couple need accomodation 17th January (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/northern-lass-new-york-gay-couple-need-accomodation-17th-january-849618/)

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Northern lass in New York:Gay couple need accomodation 17th January

Originally Posted by nadineuk (Post 11520597)
Random question but I had a fry up, my auntie forgot to put the Turkey in :-/haha

Just imagine that we're a knowledgeable opinionated bunch down the pub and you'll get along....

Oh and randomness is usually directly related to thread length....you should see some of them that have literally been running for years in the Trailer Park.:eek:

Sally Redux Jan 3rd 2015 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11520639)
Just imagine that we're a knowledgeable opinionated bunch down the pub and you'll get along....

Oh and randomness is usually directly related to thread length....you should see some of them that have literally been running for years in the Trailer Park.:eek:

Your round.

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2015 6:27 pm

Usual pint?

also

NYC - Manhattan Extended Stay Hotels and Corporate Housing - Biz-stay.com

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 3rd 2015 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11520625)
Back to the OP's original question, if Airbnb is too expensive and you don't want to risk Craigslist, then your options are likely to be severely curtailed unless you know someone in New York who is willing to put you up. If anyone on this forum has that kind of accommodation available, or knows anyone who does, then the likelihood is they are already advertising it through those two sites.

Has the UN offered you any assistance or advice in regards to accommodation?

Exactly. That's the reason I suggested she cut down on her stay time and let her partner go for UN accommodation.

Sally Redux Jan 3rd 2015 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11520643)
Usual pint?

Ta.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11520645)
Exactly. That's the reason I suggested she cut down on her stay time and let her partner go for UN accommodation.

Seems sensible. Make it more of a holiday.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 3rd 2015 7:11 pm

UN is shared acomodation and she is using the VWP for 90 days.

Nutmegger Jan 3rd 2015 7:16 pm

Have you googled for places like Residence Inn long stay hotels? Their prices may be as good as you are going to find.

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2015 7:20 pm

See #33

nadineuk Jan 3rd 2015 7:22 pm

Nutmegger thanks Im going to look it up now. Sugarmomma yeah that would,ve been ok had she been informed ages ago but it was literally a week ago that she got the offer and the UN are apparantly full but will reimburse her for her costs within a certain budget. Thanks hotscot Ill also check that link too. Hopefully if my work colleague doesnt help me out Ill have a fair few alternatives. Worst case scenario a studio air bnb for a few weeks until were there then viewings etc would be a lot easier to do

nadineuk Jan 3rd 2015 7:26 pm

Hotscot do you have the link for number 33 by any chance? Maybe its because Im on my phone at the moment I cant see a search option

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2015 7:29 pm

NYC - Manhattan Extended Stay Hotels and Corporate Housing - Biz-stay.com

nadineuk Jan 3rd 2015 7:37 pm

Just sent an enquiry to residence inn manhattan :-)

retzie Jan 3rd 2015 7:56 pm

Your best bet on a sub-AirBnB budget is a sublet in a shared apartment. As you have discovered, Craigslist is full of garbage, but it also has plenty of listings where people just need to cover rent while they travel. I suggest locking in a couple of weeks on AirBnB (why a studio, btw? A room will be much cheaper), and using that period to check out sublets in person. You will find the supply plentiful and very fast-moving. I would be surprised if you don't find a place within two weeks.

I would suggest an AirBnB with a 'proper' host - they will be able to advise on the safety/merits of different neighbourhoods, and may even be able to link you up with something more long-term.

Pulaski Jan 3rd 2015 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11520643)
Usual pint? ....

Thanks. I'll have an Arrogant Bastard if you're buying. :)

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2015 8:52 pm

I had a good year.

According to my tax bill....:lol: