British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Northern lass in New York:Gay couple need accomodation 17th January (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/northern-lass-new-york-gay-couple-need-accomodation-17th-january-849618/)

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 2:21 pm

Northern lass in New York:Gay couple need accomodation 17th January

Hi there we are a female couple coming over to New York 17th January, this is due to a last minute training offer given to my partner for the United Nations relating to her postgraduate degree. I myself will be touring and still recieving a wage. This was a last minute proposal so now we are under pressure to find accomodation either a studio or room. I myself am from East Yorkshire and my partner is half lebanese half English and we have never been to New York and quite worried that we are not going to find somewhere or commit to somewhere that is not safe. We ideally want somewhere within an easy commute to the Upper East Side for a total of 89 days. I have joined this website to see if anyone by chance is renting a room in a safe area or has some connections. In return if anyone is ever in need of a room in London I can always help out and guide any visitors. I would really appreciate your help as this is becoming so stressful, we have not even had chance to look forward to visiting as we are too worried about accomodation.

Orangepants Dec 29th 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Northern lass in New York:Gay couple need accomodation 17th January

Try Airbnb - good for short term rentals.

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11515588)
Try Airbnb - good for short term rentals.

Hi there thanks for the link however this is one of the first places we looked and the cheapest of accomodation here is top end of our budget in a run down area with bad reviews and quite frankly the price of a hotel. Also for airbnb we would have to pay for the duration of our stay plus one month deposit which is $12,000 so its really not suitable. We would rather sublet or share an apartment in a nice area

Pulaski Dec 29th 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by nadineuk (Post 11515528)
.... I myself will be touring and still receiving a wage. ..... .

Er, you won't be working will you? :unsure:

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11515603)
Er, you won't be working will you? :unsure:

No my partner is training as part of her postgraduate degree and I am taking paid leave from my job in the United Kingdom

Pulaski Dec 29th 2014 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by nadineuk (Post 11515618)
No my partner is training as part of her postgraduate degree and I am taking paid leave from my job in the United Kingdom

89 days of paid leave? :blink: Nice! :) I wish I had a job like that. :unsure:

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=Pulaski;11515622]89 days of paid leave? :blink: Nice! :) I wish I had a job like that. :unsure:[/QUOTE

I work for the government myself and have accrued a month holiday already, you tend to have more holidays if you work unsociable shift patterns

Sally Redux Dec 29th 2014 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11515622)
89 days of paid leave? :blink: Nice! :) I wish I had a job like that. :unsure:

Nice welcome for a new poster. Not.

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11515997)
Nice welcome for a new poster. Not.

Lol thanks Sally I kindve anticipated some nit picking at first, hopefully someone will try to help along the way. :-)

BritInParis Dec 29th 2014 11:28 pm

If Airbnb is too pricey try accommodation listings on Craigslist.

Also be aware that a 89 day stay would put you at the very upper limit of the 90 days allowed under the Visa Waiver Program, if that is what you are intending to use, and any delays to your departure might result in an overstay which would prevent you from using the VWP to travel to the US in the future.

nadineuk Dec 29th 2014 11:33 pm

Ive sorted the visa already up to 90 days is accepted and ive bought the return flights. Esta approved my application. Some of craigslist is ok but Im seiving through scammers at the moment and would prefer to go through word of mouth. Thanks for the tips will be sure to keep looking through craigslist

rpjs Dec 30th 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by nadineuk (Post 11516013)
Ive sorted the visa already up to 90 days is accepted and ive bought the return flights. Esta approved my application. Some of craigslist is ok but Im seiving through scammers at the moment and would prefer to go through word of mouth. Thanks for the tips will be sure to keep looking through craigslist

I think the point re 89 days is what if there's some issue that delays your flight home for a day and you inadvertantly overstay. It's a general suggestion here to people intending to make a long VWP stay to allow 2-3 days breathing room in case the Icelanders set off one of their volcanoes again.

nadineuk Dec 30th 2014 7:56 am

Thankyou for the consideration. Looking forward to recieving some tips about the question I posted x

augigi Dec 31st 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by nadineuk (Post 11516013)

If you have ESTA, you don't have a "visa" - you are travelling on the visa waiver program. As stated, it's relatively common that a delay screws up travel plans and then you have inadvertently overstayed the VWP which is a giant PITA if you intend to return to the US in the future.

nadineuk Dec 31st 2014 6:59 pm

Im not enquiring about the visa waiver Im asking about accomodation please can we stay on topic , I realise people want to show they have knowlege but if I need esta advice Ill ask for it. I dont. So thankyou all the same for your efforts but Id rather stay on topic and tackle my accomodation issue rather than worry about ifnmy flight is delayed on the way back.