Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

North Vs South

North Vs South

Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default North Vs South

Well, after an interesting e-mail from one of my very close, life-long friend's in Boston, I'm starting to feel the strong divide between North and South USA. Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of many differences but now I'm starting t 'feel' the difference.
I told my friend that we were fairly certain that we would be moving to Dallas. If not, it will be New York. This was his reply: "Dallas? Dallas is a hot, humid shithole, what are you going there for?!. You'de be better off in NY".
Now maybe it's just my friend being pis*y that we won't be 'neighbours' if I'm in the South but last year when we thought we may live in Georgia, I was greeted with similar enthusiam.

SO... Brits, I'm wondering now, are us European's more likely to enjoy life in the USA if we live on the North-East more than in the South?

Currently, we're not 100% commited to ANY state as of yet, and we feel that Dallas would give us everything we need, (of course this all rides off the back of the job opportunities that we have).

Where would you choose? Dallas or New York? (living in the nearby suburbs). and why?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:07 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My answer would be to do them both. You'll never know the differences until you try it. I had no idea what the Wild West would be like and I didn't think I'd like it after spending so much time in New England. It's totally different here, but I really love the way of life and it's so nice having big open spaces and really hot weather. New England is quite genteel and middle class, whereas Phoenix is quite different. There are elements of both that I love and no-one can define it for you. You need to experience them first hand. Dallas is great because it's so huge, hot, and there's so much space. It's real America. New York has a more European feel to it, is very busy and very built up. Try them and see, don't listen to someone elses ideals.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Rockgurl
My answer would be to do them both. You'll never know the differences until you try it. I had no idea what the Wild West would be like and I didn't think I'd like it after spending so much time in New England. It's totally different here, but I really love the way of life and it's so nice having big open spaces and really hot weather. New England is quite genteel and middle class, whereas Phoenix is quite different. There are elements of both that I love and no-one can define it for you. You need to experience them first hand. Dallas is great because it's so huge, hot, and there's so much space. It's real America. New York has a more European feel to it, is very busy and very built up. Try them and see, don't listen to someone elses ideals.
I agree with Rockgurl. You really need to experience it for yourself to see where you are most comfortable. The US is so vast and so varied that it is difficult to really recommend one area over another. All regions have their pluses and minuses depending on an individuals lifestyle, so it really depends on how you want to live your life. I know Brits in NY who love it, and I know Brits in the SW who love it there. You need to visit both and decided which better suits you.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:15 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn’t live in the South for a few reasons. Mostly because it's ridiculously hot, has tons of rednecks, nasty insects and psychotic Baptists
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect reply, Rockgirl! Couldn't have said it better!
Personally I LOVE Texas (even in the summer) but the N.E. often makes me homesick since it is much closer (culturally speaking) to Europe. I also think that, since we are a pretty rareified crowd in that we already have shown that we can handle a cultural jump across the pond, that we could probably live and enjoy pretty much anywhere that they speak (sort of) English!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:27 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: North Vs South

Originally posted by whatever
Well, after an interesting e-mail from one of my very close, life-long friend's in Boston, I'm starting to feel the strong divide between North and South USA. Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware of many differences but now I'm starting t 'feel' the difference.
I told my friend that we were fairly certain that we would be moving to Dallas. If not, it will be New York. This was his reply: "Dallas? Dallas is a hot, humid shithole, what are you going there for?!. You'de be better off in NY".
Now maybe it's just my friend being pis*y that we won't be 'neighbours' if I'm in the South but last year when we thought we may live in Georgia, I was greeted with similar enthusiam.

SO... Brits, I'm wondering now, are us European's more likely to enjoy life in the USA if we live on the North-East more than in the South?

Currently, we're not 100% commited to ANY state as of yet, and we feel that Dallas would give us everything we need, (of course this all rides off the back of the job opportunities that we have).

Where would you choose? Dallas or New York? (living in the nearby suburbs). and why?
It depends on you really. I live in Mississippi and i hate it here its without a doubt the worst place i have lived my entire life. Once i know what my final graduate school choices are then it will be either Bay Area or Boston for me and never the south again.

each to their own though. Houses are cheaper in the south you will get more sq ft if thats important to you. Its all car in the south so if you like driving everywhere then its for you. Strip development is common so its mostly ugly but conveniently close to the roads. You also have to contend with tornadoes, flash floods, storms. What ever people tell you there is lots of continuing racism (its just hidden under the surface more), church is the center of the community here if you believe in jesus thats great, if not you feel left out and seem to have few outlets for community involvement. oh yes and not forgetting bloody biting biting mosequitos!!

The one good thing is easy gun ownership so if you like to shoot its easy to do down here, not so good up north. Though that might not be a positive in your book. Honestly it depnds on what kind of person you are and what kind of life style you like. I can see what lots of Brits like it but for me no thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Vs South

I live in Houston TX and cannot wait to get the hell out of here, sorry to sound negative but Texan living is not for me to many interbreeding, backward thinking etc.

As for NY way too expensive also to close to london living fast paced etc.

My vote goes to the west coast especially LA,San diego or SF people are much more open minded there plus the weather is great, the food, the people etc.

Plus there are a lot of Europeans on the west coast.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:10 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
I wouldn’t live in the South for a few reasons. Mostly because it's ridiculously hot, has tons of rednecks, nasty insects and psychotic Baptists
I like the South, it doesn't get all that hot here in NC. But as you mentioned we have the gun-totin', rottweiler owning, bible bashing rednecks down here.
I quite like the insects, not a offensive as the locals.

But if I had a choice of where to live I would like to move to San Francisco. They seem pretty much open and religion is a minority sport there.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:56 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Webbie
I like the South, it doesn't get all that hot here in NC. But as you mentioned we have the gun-totin', rottweiler owning, bible bashing rednecks down here.
I quite like the insects, not a offensive as the locals.

But if I had a choice of where to live I would like to move to San Francisco. They seem pretty much open and religion is a minority sport there.
I quite like the south too. Not sure about the bible-bashers, I often feel like the odd-one-out at work when everyone talks bout church, etc. The pace of life is fantastic though and the weather is definitely a plus, but it's turned me into a right softie, anything below 50 and I'm cold!!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

My answer would be to do them both. You'll never know the differences until you try it. Try them and see, don't listen to someone elses ideals.
Thanks to everyone for your insight.

I absolutely agree with you Rockgurl. I have spent quite a bit of time in New York, as has my Husband, and I have lived in Boston and loved it. Now that we have this opportunity to move there, we feel that we are ready for a completely new environment. The funny thing is, I don't think my friend, who is advising me has even been to Dallas! In my mind, New York is a truly dynamic place but working in NY is going to be very similar to working in London in our line of work anyway. .. so what's the point in hiking all that way for 'similar'?
I admit that there are certain 'southern' things that I will find VERY challenging like the people eating/house eating insects, Black Widows, Cottonmouths, Scorpions, Tornados and hurricanes, but equally so I can't stand being cold and anyone who has spent a winter in NE will know that a winter there could kill off a woose like me! As for the church goers, we'll just have to deal with that as and when. We are not particularly religious and I can't imagine we will go to church there as we never have here. Arizona really IS the extreme compared to most other parts of the US and I think it's great that you are enjoying such a different place to what you are used to.

If the Dallas opportunities become concrete we'll take them and if it really is the hot, humid shithole that my friend describes, we can always get in the car and drive drive drive
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:01 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

very funny - all the locals rounds here reckon Houston is a hell hole too - so you're not alone!

i'm not keen on the religious stuff in TN, (esp. the looney baptists ) but you just learn to get on with it...

what i do like is the fact its been in the high 70's a few times recently and even when its cold it doesn't get dreary and depresiing like it does in blighty

insects and humidity is pretty crap

I quite like Nashville because it has got a pretty fun bar scene (as long as you avoid the 'red' bars!) some excellent independent restaurants and the cost of living is relatively cheap - lowest car insurance in the US according to CNN money, pretty cheap petrol, reasonably affordable housing (in nice areas)

knoxville and memphis however, don't really have many redeeming features - knox is very dull and memphis is just pretty nasty
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:20 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Cape Ann which is 40 miles north of Boston. I do like it but the ideal would be to spend winters somewhere with a bit less snow.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:36 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Come on down to the South, wouldn't you rather be living in the sun, swanning around in the speedo's in a southfork ranch? why would anyone want to live in a Sorprano's type apartment with all that dirt and grime with an equally annoying accent.

Besides there all Northern Nonces.

the last 3 weeks has been 50 deg in the morning with an afternoon high or 70 deg plus! I much rather be working in shorts and flip flops than all bundled up in "North Face" attire!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

I admit that there are certain 'southern' things that I will find VERY challenging like the people eating/house eating insects, Black Widows, Cottonmouths, Scorpions, Tornados and hurricanes, but equally so I can't stand being cold and anyone who has spent a winter in NE will know that a winter there could kill off a woose like me!
[...]
If the Dallas opportunities become concrete we'll take them and if it really is the hot, humid shithole that my friend describes, we can always get in the car and drive drive drive
Well, so far, Austin's great. As far as I know, I haven't seen any people/house eating insects, black widows, cottonmouths or any of those things. I've seen what I'm told is a yellowjacket - if ferrari made a wasp, it would look like this - but that's about it. I'm willing to put up with these things for now, because the place looks great, it's nice and warm, there's plenty of space, and more than enough things to see and do. I can't stand the cold, which is one of several reasons I don't live near Middlesbrough any more. The temperature here is hitting mid 80s at the mo, which on my scale is "nice". When it gets to 100, that might be a different story!

I'm off up to Dallas this weekend - I spent a couple of weeks there in 2001, but I'll need to refresh my memory about the place. I don't remember it being that awful!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I love the southwest. I much prefer being here where I'm nearer to a couple of my favorite cities, like San Francisco and Las Vegas with a nice cheap southwest ticket. And I love my new desert scenery and weather. We have a nice big city in Phoenix if I want some hustle and bustle also. I've visted the south, east and north, but never lived there, so couldnt pass comment on where is better to live. I just know I picked the right spot for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.