Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Noone can understand my accent (I'm Australian)

Noone can understand my accent (I'm Australian)

Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Gruchak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Noone can understand my accent (I'm Australian)

In US everyone knows I'm a Brit. Back in UK people remark on my American accent, although once someone in a pub though I was Irish.

My accent is all over the place now! I'm lost.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gruchak
In US everyone knows I'm a Brit. Back in UK people remark on my American accent, although once someone in a pub though I was Irish.

Where are you from, in the UK? I am from Sheffield and my accent doesn't seem to have changed much since I left there when I was eight years old.

I have only been in the US for fourteen years, but completing school in Glawster and working in Landan didn't seem to do anything to change my accent before I left the UK, so I am not surprised that living in the US hasn't either. I still get comments about my accent most weeks, and often people think I have just arrived.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Gruchak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where are you from, in the UK? I am from Sheffield and my accent doesn't seem to have changed much since I left there when I was eight years old.

I have only been in the US for fourteen years, but completing school in Glawster and working in Landan didn't seem to do anything to change my accent before I left the UK, so I am not surprised that living in the US hasn't either. I still get comments about my accent most weeks, and often people think I have just arrived.
I'm from Portsmouth in the UK. I don't have any Brits in my life here, neither at home, nor work, so I wonder if that has some to do with my absorbing some of the accent...although any American would instantly spot my British accent. I think, too, that folks from Pompey do have a bit of a lazy drawl with their vowel sounds, so maybe it's also associated with that.

Are you surrounded by Americans also? Maybe you are just impervious to the influences around you.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Portsmouth in the UK. I don't have any Brits in my life here, neither at home, nor work, so I wonder if that has some to do with my absorbing some of the accent...although any American would instantly spot my British accent. I think, too, that folks from Pompey do have a bit of a lazy drawl with their vowel sounds, so maybe it's also associated with that.

Are you surrounded by Americans also? Maybe you are just impervious to the influences around you.
I rarely see or communicate with any Brits where I live, and although I am not the only Brit with my employer, I rarely have reason to speak to them, not even our London office these days.

I certainly seem to be impervious to picking up accents, as ten years in Gloucester from age 8 to 18 (when you'd expect that I would still be impressionable) didn't give me the slightest hint of a Gloucester/ west country accent, and ten+ years in London didn't change anything either.

My sister on the other hand absorbs accents like a sponge, though she was only four when we left Sheffield, so hadn't been imprinted with a Sheffield accent. That said she has never had much of a long term accent, perhaps because she went to a private school. And while her accent floats around, seven years in France and one in the US didn't leave a lasting impression on her accent.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not many people can place my accent. Brits can usually detect that I am northern but probably not Mancunian. When I got back from Australia quite a few people detected an Australian accent (without prior knowledge of me having been there). Americans have never had trouble understanding me but have often asked if I am Australian and that was before I had stepped foot in the place.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Many Brits themselves cannot place a finger on my accent and where it's from - and have never been able to do, which is odd!

But Americans just know I'm British the moment I utter my first word. Plus my fiance says it's obvious because I have a polite British air about me, whatever the heck that means.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jambey2510
..... But Americans just know I'm British the moment I utter my first word. Plus my fiance says it's obvious because I have a polite British air about me, whatever the heck that means.
Sounds like my experience, as I am rarely asked if I am Australian - my accent is a mild Sheffield one. I have sometimes wondered if somehow my "air" is British.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like my experience, as I am rarely asked if I am Australian - my accent is a mild Sheffield one. I have sometimes wondered if somehow my "air" is British.
I have never understood this whole "air" thing either!

I jokingly said to my fiance one time 'probably because I don't look obnoxious and brash' and she no that's probably it!
Old Jul 16th 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jambey2510
I have never understood this whole "air" thing either!

I jokingly said to my fiance one time 'probably because I don't look obnoxious and brash' and she no that's probably it!
Refined and sophisticated.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 3:38 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Refined and sophisticated.
You called?
Old Jul 16th 2016, 4:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
You called?
I presume you mean refined sugar and sophisticaked
Old Jul 16th 2016, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

davers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
"Accent glaze" lol.
Whilst Floridian (using that term loosely as most of them appear to be recent incomers) girls are often curious about my ethnicity, I get the impression that many Carolinian girls, half my age, would happily drag me into a dark corner and thoroughly abuse me!!!
That's the look I get when I interact with girls no matter where I am so it's neither here nor there .

In all seriousness though, the "accent glaze" effects you describe are only too real, girls or guys.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
You called?
I thought you came from Brizzle?

Says he who came from Sheffield.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by davers
.... In all seriousness though, the "accent glaze" effects you describe are only too real, girls or guys.
I agree, but comments on my accent are 9:1 or more, women to men.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 6:39 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I presume you mean refined sugar and sophisticaked
I thought you came from Brizzle?

Says he who came from Sheffield.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.