Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Wikiposts

Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:55 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Originally Posted by tailz
I'm going to head to a family owned shop tomorrow to see if they encounter the same issue, all checks are done on the NICS through the FBI. I would be able to obtain a CCL on a Green Card, which I am hoping I will get later this year.
Oh right you've already figured that out, should have read the thread. But anyway you could end up in the weird situation that they issue the carry permit and the carry permit exempts you from the background check, it looks from that FBI map as though it would.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

obviously Cabelas don't know their arse from their elbow and their policy is costing them money.
As mentioned, Cabelas, Bass Pro etc. usually have higher prices. At least they do in Canada. They opened a Bass Pro in Calgary and everyone was like "oooh" and then everyone realized it was way more expensive than Wholesale Sports so it's like a ghost town in Bass Pro.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

tailz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Oh right you've already figured that out, should have read the thread. But anyway you could end up in the weird situation that they issue the carry permit and the carry permit exempts you from the background check, it looks from that FBI map as though it would.
I have since been informed that I can indeed apply for a CCL on a N.I.V, I won't be doing so but at least now I know.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:09 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Soooo, what did happen? Did he voluntarily not fire?
PM sent
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just got back from my local shop and my application has gone through. It has come back with "Delayed" but I expected this, so not an issue, obviously Cabelas don't know their arse from their elbow and their policy is costing them money. They must be making so much of it they don't care.

Just have to wait now and hopefully it comes back accepted.
I had the same issue with a big store in Richmond years ago, they were clueless.
Our local country store is in an FFL and the background check takes five minutes or less.
On a side note a guy at Bass Pro told me two people filed the application and it came up "delayed" then a State Trooper showed up and hauled them off in handcuffs.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I had the same issue with a big store in Richmond years ago, they were clueless.
Our local country store is in an FFL and the background check takes five minutes or less.
On a side note a guy at Bass Pro told me two people filed the application and it came up "delayed" then a State Trooper showed up and hauled them off in handcuffs.
lol, well if I don't report back by Saturday.......
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:38 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lansbury
I knew and worked with Jim Beaton after that happened, and his gun didn't jam.
All I can say is that is what they told us at the armorers school in Bordon is that it was a collapsed spring in the magazine. They recommended unloading and reloading mags daily if possible otherwise do not load the magazine to the full capacity, ie on 13 round mag only load 10 so the spring is not so heavily compressed.

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Feb 18th 2014 at 4:57 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
All I can say is that is what they told us at the armorers school in Bordon is that it was a collapsed spring in the magazine. They recommended unloading and reloading mags daily if possible otherwise do not load the magazine to the full capacity, ie on 13 round mag only load 10 so the spring is not so heavily compressed.
They told you the official story, it isn't what actually happened.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 18th 2014 at 5:43 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tease
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tease
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Well I am now home having collected my handgun, so all worked out well in the end.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Picture or it did not happen
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Picture or it did not happen
Not sure about posting such things on the forum..if no objections in a day or so, I will happily post.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

]

I will start.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:37 pm
SG1
Forum Regular

SG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of lightSG1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

As a non immigrant L-1A visa holder, I am looking to purchase a handgun for target plinking at a range and also for home defense.

I have read multiple web sites including the ATF site that state I can purchase a firearm but need to acquire a hunting license first. I have now done this but today went to Cabelas to purchase a pistol and during the NICS checks their system came back with a "Failed" reply. On checking, this is not a rejection from the FBI checks and nobody at the Cabelas store or their head office was able to clarify why the response was "Failed" as all my paperwork was in order as per the ATF web site, so I left empty handed

Just wondering if any non immigrants out there have successfully purchased a handgun?

Thanks

Tony
Tony, you can Buy one and great a carry permit...

Go to a store where you can "try before you buy"

Glock is great, cheap, lots of parts, .22 Conversion kit, and has a great record of reliability..

When it comes to Rifles you can not go wrong with an AR15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.