Reload this Page >

Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

tailz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Hi,

As a non immigrant L-1A visa holder, I am looking to purchase a handgun for target plinking at a range and also for home defense.

I have read multiple web sites including the ATF site that state I can purchase a firearm but need to acquire a hunting license first. I have now done this but today went to Cabelas to purchase a pistol and during the NICS checks their system came back with a "Failed" reply. On checking, this is not a rejection from the FBI checks and nobody at the Cabelas store or their head office was able to clarify why the response was "Failed" as all my paperwork was in order as per the ATF web site, so I left empty handed

Just wondering if any non immigrants out there have successfully purchased a handgun?

Thanks

Tony
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:09 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Immigrant Handgun purchase?

Where are you and what are the State laws for owning a firearm?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Where are you and what are the State laws for owning a firearm?
I'm in Kansas and I have seen no laws restricting my purchase or use.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 11:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tailz
No the only restriction I see for Kansas is you have to be a US citizen to get a concealed carry permit.

In Oregon the background checks go through the State police. If the same applies in Kansas give the State police a call and see if they can shed some light on it.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You have to have lived in the state where you are buying the gun for "90 consecutive days" prior to the check being run on you. I see you moved to Kansas "at the end of 2013", so it looks like you might not have been here for 90 days.

FWIW. A handgun is not a good choice for home defence. A short barrel (18") 12 gauge would be better because (i) hitting the target is easier (the pellets spread) (ii) more energy is transferred to the target (a bullet that goes straight through the target might do little harm) and (iii) with the right sized pellets the risk of accidentally shooting someone else in the house through a wall is greatly reduced (this is a very real risk that is often overlooked). A decent brand (say, Winchester or Mossberg) home defence shotgun should be available for less than $300.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 18th 2014 at 12:21 am.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
No the only restriction I see for Kansas is you have to be a US citizen to get a concealed carry permit.

In Oregon the background checks go through the State police. If the same applies in Kansas give the State police a call and see if they can shed some light on it.
I'm going to head to a family owned shop tomorrow to see if they encounter the same issue, all checks are done on the NICS through the FBI. I would be able to obtain a CCL on a Green Card, which I am hoping I will get later this year.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have to have lived in the state where you are buying the gun for "90 consecutive days" prior to the check being run on you. I see you moved to Kansas "at the end of 2013", so it looks like you might not have been here for 90 days.

FWIW. A handgun is not a good choice for home defence. A short barrel (18") 12 gauge would be better because (i) hitting the target is easier (the pellets spread) (ii) more energy is transferred to the target (a bullet that goes straight through the target might do little harm) and (iii) with the right sized pellets the risk of accidentally shooting someone else in the house through a wall is greatly reduced.
That rule was abolished in October 2013. I wanted the handgun for my local range too, having had shotguns and rifles for many years in the UK, I fancied a pistol.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That rule was abolished in October 2013. .....
I dunno then.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 12:39 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

FWIW. A handgun is not a good choice for home defence. A short barrel (18") 12 gauge would be better because (i) hitting the target is easier (the pellets spread) (ii) more energy is transferred to the target (a bullet that goes straight through the target might do little harm) and (iii) with the right sized pellets the risk of accidentally shooting someone else in the house through a wall is greatly reduced (this is a very real risk that is often overlooked).

Please, for heavens sake, don't go all dirty harry and get a .44 Magnum! Not a good weapon to have in this situation. If you must get a pistol, take a look at the "Judge" by Taurus. It will take a .410 shotgun load, you can get some really nice home defense rounds in that caliber which prevent a lot of the issues mentioned by Pulaski. It is not very accurate, but with those rounds you don't need to be Dead-Eye Dick!

No matter what you end up deciding upon, please, please, please take the time to properly learn how to use your new weapon, take a firearms safety course and ensure the weapon is stored securely and safely in your home. Get familiar with it, put several hundred rounds of ammunition through it, learn how it reacts, and how you react. It could make the world of difference if and when you may be forced to use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com...prod=410bolo25
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the market for a handgun, mainly for home defense but would also like something that's manageable for target practice for the missus and me.

I was advised to go with a revolver vs a semi automatic to keep things simple.

I do remember looking at the Taurus guns and that's what I'm still thinking.

So anyway, here in California I had to take a written "test" with questions the likes of,

When handling a gun should you...

a. Point it at your friend?
b. Point it at your face?
c. Point it at the ground.

Frightening though that some people don't pass first time.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:51 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot

So anyway, here in California I had to take a written "test" with questions the likes of,

When handling a gun should you...

a. Point it at your friend?
b. Point it at your face?
c. Point it at the ground.

Frightening though that some people don't pass first time.
Wonder how this guy fared in his "test"....this is a video my son was shown when he was doing one of the safety sessions in Boy Scouts...

http://www.studentbeans.com/worldwei...t-off1916.html
Old Feb 18th 2014, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jibsymalone

Please, for heavens sake, don't go all dirty harry and get a .44 Magnum! Not a good weapon to have in this situation. If you must get a pistol, take a look at the "Judge" by Taurus. It will take a .410 shotgun load, you can get some really nice home defense rounds in that caliber which prevent a lot of the issues mentioned by Pulaski. It is not very accurate, but with those rounds you don't need to be Dead-Eye Dick!

No matter what you end up deciding upon, please, please, please take the time to properly learn how to use your new weapon, take a firearms safety course and ensure the weapon is stored securely and safely in your home. Get familiar with it, put several hundred rounds of ammunition through it, learn how it reacts, and how you react. It could make the world of difference if and when you may be forced to use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com...prod=410bolo25
I have gone for a 9mm and have already enrolled in a basic handgun course at my local range. As I have previously mentioned, I have been around guns all my life and have no intention of becoming a gun toting nut. I have no interest in Open Carry, Concealed Carry or equipping my home in readiness for the zombie apocalypse.

In the UK I was NRA certified and was also a range officer at my local club.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wonder how this guy fared in his "test"....this is a video my son was shown when he was doing one of the safety sessions in Boy Scouts. ....
Maybe the misfire was caused when he loaded his shotgun with "bullets", .... if you believe the reporter who wrote that article.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming you are talking about a decent handgun I would not rule out something like a Glock, how often do they fail?

Ammo, well so many people say 9mm is too small, not convinced with modern self defence ammo.

I have a preference for a carbine than a shotgun, there is no answer as such, go with what you feel comfortable with.

9mm is readily available, cheap and reloadable easily, gives you some insurance.

I did the concealed carry course, just because. Would not rule it out. I know a lot of people do not like the concept of basically registering with the Authorities.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 3:05 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hotscot
I was advised to go with a revolver vs a semi automatic to keep things simple.
If the weapon is going to sit around used for a long time the revolver has the advantage of not worrying about the magazine spring collapsing and not feeding the weapon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.