Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Noisy american eaters

Wikiposts

Noisy american eaters

Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noisy american eaters

Originally Posted by Swisstony
i still cringe at the memory of trying to eat a pizza with a (plastic) knife and fork during a lunch meeting at my (then) new office in NYC - the fork snapped in two and pinged off hitting a colleague sat opposite....

When in Rome.....
were you sued for stress caused, attempted murder etc?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Is this a regional thing? I've lived in New England for close to 7 years and this thread's a new one on me - and I know I've never encountered this as it would annoy the hell out of me if it did. Come to think of it, I've traveled to 42 states over a period of years and I've still never encountered this phenomenon (or, certainly, not sufficiently for me to think this was an American trait).

The problem with sweeping generalizations, especially with a country so large and diverse as America, is that they can rarely be true. Come to think of it, even with a small country like the UK you shouldn't jump to conclusions such as, shall we say, "British people can't use correct punctuation and grammar in internet forums" - because in reality it just applies to a small subset of the whole.
The noise thing? I think you'll find arseholes where ever in the world and don't think it's especially an American thing...though it isn't rude in many Asian countries.

As for the shovel with a fork thing? I've seen that fairly regularly over here, but mostly at breakfast/lunch joints rather than at peoples homes.

Bit different to stabbing the snot out of the plate I guess
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Heck, I was in England and saw people walking down the street eating something with their fingers out of newspaper packages!
Filthy bastards.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it's more common to eat with the mouth open here. Also cutlery is held in any number of bizarre ways which can appear somewhat comical to outsiders.
Seriously? Even us rednecks here in KY are taught to eat with our mouths closed. I can count the number of times I've seen people eat with their mouths open on one hand. Now, I have been known to open my mouth for a breath or two, while chewing, when my sinuses are all bunged up, but that's not a normal situation.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Seriously? Even us rednecks here in KY are taught to eat with our mouths closed. I can count the number of times I've seen people eat with their mouths open on one hand. Now, I have been known to open my mouth for a breath or two, while chewing, when my sinuses are all bunged up, but that's not a normal situation.
Must just be in this area then.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:24 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass

You want to be careful of that,you could take food into your lungs if your chewing and breathing at the same time.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:36 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a mixture of both.... In both the UK and the US, so no-one is innocent!

One thing that does always amaze me though, my boss (a dentist) who came from a very privileged upbringing, is highly educated and basically loaded.... Who goes to countless business lunches and functions, thinks nothing of holding a conversation with a vast amount of food in her mouth! She always looks at me like I'm a freak if she asks me a question (while showing me the contents of her lunch swishing around her chops) while I'm chewing and I point to my mouth, swallow then answer!

Although...... At a recent expats meet up down here *waves at tamms* some of the other Brits did point out to me that I've lost the ability to use a knife.....
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed it myself...but when I asked my husband he said yes without hesitation.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Not sure if serious... If so: chewing gum, not dental flesh :P
OK, sorry, I wasn't thinking of chewing gum! I was assuming all these Americans (sans insurance) were toothless.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
[/COLOR]
You want to be careful of that,you could take food into your lungs if your chewing and breathing at the same time.
Oh, I know that. Usually I actually stop chewing, push the food to the side of my mouth, take a breath or two, then finish chewing...not to be too graphic about it!

Hmmmm...maybe it goes on around me more than I'm aware of. When I'm eating, I don't always pay much attention to others. It would have to be really obvious to catch my attention.

Clarissa, I do the same thing (point to my mouth and finish chewing), so I consider that normal!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

If there was an award for loud crunchers my husband would likely win the award for the loudest, omg it drives me crazy!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
If there was an award for loud crunchers my husband would likely win the award for the loudest, omg it drives me crazy!
Upon marriage husbands need training. Now get to it!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:22 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Training...I've tried to train my wife to put the toilet seat up when she's finished but she can't get the hang of it.Very frustrating.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed it myself...but when I asked my husband he said yes without hesitation.
I've not read the whole thread but is this a spit/swallow question?
Old Jan 26th 2012, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working on it for 9+ years! I still want to scream when he eats anything that is not soft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.