Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Noisy american eaters

Wikiposts

Noisy american eaters

Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noisy american eaters

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
LOL I know it's a generalization, but honestly from my own personal experience it has been true. Your lucky I didnt mention the fact that the majority of people I meet seem to hold their cutlery in one hand and use it like a shovel
I haven't come across the noisy eater problem and as for holding the cutlery, like a lot of things over here, it isn't "wrong" it's just different.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:44 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I know it's a generalization, but honestly from my own personal experience it has been true. Your lucky I didnt mention the fact that the majority of people I meet seem to hold their cutlery in one hand and use it like a shovel
What kind of establishments are you eating at? As in the UK, you're going to find the clientele troughing noisily in the local Mickey D's and behaving in a more refined manner in a nice white tablecloth restaurant. As to cutlery -- different country, different accepted style. And one that I utilize for everything except a meat-and-two-veg type meal these days: then the style from the old country kicks in!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:52 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I once went to Asia and people were using sticks to eat their food with. I mean, how bloody weird was that???
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I once went to Asia and people were using sticks to eat their food with. I mean, how bloody weird was that???
Oh, goodness...so peculiar
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Oh, goodness...so peculiar
And they slurped their soup. They could have at least tried to act a bit more British. It's almost like they weren't trying...
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm curious about this gum smacking phenomenon.. Is this folks who forgot to put their teeth back in, left them in the beaker on the night table? Not sure if I've ever heard that one.
Not sure if serious... If so: chewing gum, not dental flesh :P
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Clean up needed in aisle #7.....another catastrophic generalization occurred "!!!!

+1

Generalization is the sum of adding 1 + 1 and coming up with 20 million
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You use two hands to hold your fork???????????

I'm sorry if my previous posts made fun of the handicapped

BTW you can't shovel with one hand ... would have taken me two days to get all the snow into the avatar picture on the left if I did it that way

Last edited by Rete; Jan 25th 2012 at 2:36 am.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

And they slurped their soup. They could have at least tried to act a bit more British. It's almost like they weren't trying...
Savages!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm curious about this gum smacking phenomenon.. Is this folks who forgot to put their teeth back in, left them in the beaker on the night table? Not sure if I've ever heard that one. In my experience the noisy ones are cracking open the squirrel heads to get at the yummy brains.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:18 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 year old objects to school only giving her a spoon to eat her lunch with. The other day they were trying to eat spaghetti and meatballs with a spoon. Mini me had only eaten the meatballs by the time I picked her up. When I asked why, she said "mummy, the boys and girls are using their hands to eat spaghetti! Look how messy they are. I'm not doing that". Fair point I thought.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more common to eat with the mouth open here. Also cutlery is held in any number of bizarre ways which can appear somewhat comical to outsiders.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:08 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Heck, I was in England and saw people walking down the street eating something with their fingers out of newspaper packages!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

i still cringe at the memory of trying to eat a pizza with a (plastic) knife and fork during a lunch meeting at my (then) new office in NYC - the fork snapped in two and pinged off hitting a colleague sat opposite....

When in Rome.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.