Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Re: No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

I'm in a similar position, the only time you will encounter an issue is if you want to enrol in another educational program in the US.

I have no Bachelors but do have a PgDip
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

Originally Posted by Jscl
An employer may ask you...
Yes, may... but likely won't. It's largely a non-issue.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I had a long interview for a technical position last year. Four hours with one 15 min break. In the interview I had to recount my detailed history from age 16.

Man that was intense.

I can't remember what interview process it was called but it's a new one that some companies have started doing.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Dorking12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for you feedback that has put my mind at ease.

I will need to find out what the equivalent qualification in the US is for a).Diploma in Business Adminstration/ Management
b).Post Graduate Diploma in Management studies which involved writing a thesis.

Anyone out there know by any chance?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hotscot
I had a long interview for a technical position last year. Four hours with one 15 min break. In the interview I had to recount my detailed history from age 16.

Man that was intense.

I can't remember what interview process it was called but it's a new one that some companies have started doing.
Perhaps it's called the "Torture" interview. Apart from anything else, I doubt I'd last to the break without needing to pee!

I'm just not sure of what value such a gruelling process might yield.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:53 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

I have been reading this thread with interest.

I am in the process of obtaining a CR-1 Visa and all being well I hope to be out in the states later in the year.

I do not have a degree of any kind because I chose to go into work straight after my A-levels. I did have the chance to go to university but I chose to work with my uncle in construction as I wanted to get out and start earning money straight away.

At 27 I now work in local government in London and over a 5 year period have managed to get myself to management level earning £40,000+.

I fear that without a degree I will find it extremely difficult to find a job out in the states with a salary that matches what I earn now. I dont expect to walk into a job and start on this salary but I worry that any paths that lead to a $55k job will be cut off because of my lack of a degree.

My USC spouse is on a very good salary so money would not be a problem but I do not want to be spoon fed and I really want to make my own mark out there.

Does anybody know anyone who has managed to land a good job without a degree?

Thanks

Last edited by GarethB789; Jan 18th 2013 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarethB789
I have been reading this thread with interest.

I am in the process of obtaining a CR-1 Visa and all being well I hope to be out in the states later in the year.

I do not have a degree of any kind because I chose to go into work straight after my A-levels. I did have the chance to go to university but I chose to work with my uncle in construction as I wanted to get out and start earning money straight away.

At 27 I now work in local government in London and over a 5 year period have managed to get myself to management level earning £40,000+.

I fear that without a degree I will find it extremely difficult to find a job out in the states with a salary that matches what I earn now. I dont expect to walk into a job and start on this salary but I worry that any paths that lead to a $55k job will be cut off because of my lack of a degree.

My USC spouse is on a very good salary so money would not be a problem but I do not want to be spoon fed and I really want to make my own mark out there.

Does anybody know anyone who has managed to land a good job without a degree?

Thanks
Yes, I do, but they had over 20 years of documented experience in the role. There is no short cut: you need lots of experience and/or a degree with some experience..

However, that isn't to say that you may well be lucky enough to find a job that does give you what you want without a degree. You can also do what many people do - take a degree in your own time whilst you are working.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:28 pm
2+2=5

GarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the roughGarethB789 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by markwm
Yes, I do, but they had over 20 years of documented experience in the role. There is no short cut: you need lots of experience and/or a degree with some experience..

However, that isn't to say that you may well be lucky enough to find a job that does give you what you want without a degree. You can also do what many people do - take a degree in your own time whilst you are working.
That is definitley something I would consider. In fact, that is definitley something I would like to do. I'll have a look into it. I'm assuming they have open university type bodies in the states?

Thanks for your reply
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is definitley something I would consider. In fact, that is definitley something I would like to do. I'll have a look into it. I'm assuming they have open university type bodies in the states?

Thanks for your reply
I have no idea but I would have thought so.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
I have no idea but I would have thought so.
Plenty of online institutes, but of varying quality and reputation. Also not very cheap.

Might be a better option to look into a community college and do a few classes and see if previous work experience can get a few credits and then look to finishing a degree with a brick and mortar college online.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply
The higher education system in the US is quite different from the UK, and thanks to the internet, many, maybe even most, universities offer flexible learning opportunities similar to the OU. That said, look carefully before choosing because not all have the best reputation. Degrees from one that advertises heavily, and has a small local campus near me, but is based at the far side of the country, and at first glance looks quite credible, are treated as being "of little value" when listed on a CV submitted to my department.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorking12
I will need to find out what the equivalent qualification in the US is for a).Diploma in Business Adminstration/ Management
b).Post Graduate Diploma in Management studies which involved writing a thesis.

Anyone out there know by any chance?
You will need to obtain a Foreign Transcript of Evaluation of your credentials from one of the agencies approved by the commission.
This is a list of some of the approved agencies.

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf

They will need... All your certificates from GCSE to the highest level of education PLUS your permanent academic record - the ins & outs of what, when, where you studied and your resulting grades along the way. This transcript (also called supplemental diploma, grade summary sheet) will be provided (for a fee) by your relevant schools & colleges for each level of education and degree/diploma you have. They, in turn will provide you with formal report that in effect translates your credentials into the American equivalent. The cost will depend upon the number of credentials they are evaluating for you and the service of evaluation you require, whether it be basic, course-by-course or comprehensive. It is advisable to check with relevant boards as to what level of evaluation is preferred, prospective employers will most certainly view it favourably if they are able to easily assess your educational history. The cost could range from $200 - $1000 accordingly (the price of education today is shocking!!!).