Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

Old Jan 12th 2013, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Dorking12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

Hi All,

This is my first post and was hoping I may gain insight on chances of finding a Job in the US without holding a bachelors degree but have a diploma in Business Administration / Management, a Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies & MSC in Marketing.

Currently working in Banking but open to explore other oppurtunities as not possible to move with bank. I recently got a green card and anticipate moving in a few months time.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

Originally Posted by Dorking12
This is my first post and was hoping I may gain insight on chances of finding a Job in the US without holding a bachelors degree but have a diploma in Business Administration / Management, a Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies & MSC in Marketing.
You have a Master's degree... no one is going to care whether or not you have a Bachelor's degree.

I recently got a green card and anticipate moving in a few months time.
I'm guessing you mean that you recently got an immigrant visa. You won't get the green card until you enter the US.

Ian
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No bachelors degree but have a Masters and Diplomas, can I still get a Job?

A Masters degree (MSc) is certainly a higher qualification than a Bachelors (BSc). However, if you attend an interview for a job, people may ask you how you obtain an MSc (a postgraduate qualification), without an undergraduate qualification (BSc).

Moreover, the university where you obtain your degrees from is an importnant aspect, and you must have obtained your MSc from a world recognised institution.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Dorking

At which institutions did you get your qualifications?
How did you obtain an immigrant visa?
What kind of work do you want? (Possibly international experience would be a bonus to an employer.)
How much real world work experience do you have?
Where are you moving to?
When you move how are you going to support yourself and obtain healthcare?

If you have the right to work in the US you can of course get a job but the employment situation is not pretty here. There are many highly qualified, highly experienced candidates looking for work.
In a sense it's a buyers market. The employers can take their time to find what they think is the perfect candidate.

You say it's not possible to move with the bank. Why do you say that? Do they have a policy against transfers?

If you can provided more detail/background, there are many people here who can advise appropriately.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prometheus1
However, if you attend an interview for a job, people may ask you how you obtain an MSc (a postgraduate qualification), without an undergraduate qualification (BSc).
I seriously doubt they will.

... and you must have obtained your MSc from a world recognised institution.
Nonsense! Don't be ridiculous!

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hotscot
If you have the right to work in the US...
I'm sure you mean permission to work... not "right to work". The phrase "right to work" indicates that you can't be forced to join a union as a condition of employment.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2013, 2:46 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I see a language issue here, I don't know if it's a difference in definition between British and American English or a difference in terminology between the British and American educational systems.

Anyway, in the USA we would expect that a "diploma in Business Administration" means a Bachelor's degree of some kind (BA, BS, etc.) and "Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies" means a Master's degree. If this isn't the case, you'll need to explain to a prospective employer what those diplomas signify.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Dorking12
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:07 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prometheus1
However, if you attend an interview for a job, people may ask you how you obtain an MSc (a postgraduate qualification), without an undergraduate qualification (BSc).
They may. However, in my experience they don't.

I have a Masters but no first degree. I have not had a single occasion when that has caused any comments, let alone problems, in the context of the job hunting process. Most employers ask about the "highest level of education achieved" and seem to assume that was achieved via a 'normal' progressive path.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
They may. However, in my experience they don't.

I have a Masters but no first degree. I have not had a single occasion when that has caused any comments, let alone problems, in the context of the job hunting process. Most employers ask about the "highest level of education achieved" and seem to assume that was achieved via a 'normal' progressive path.
Exactly the same here - 5 year "undergraduate" Masters, but no Bachelors first - when asked "highest award" I always put Masters and have never been asked "but what about the Bachelors?".
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I see a language issue here, I don't know if it's a difference in definition between British and American English or a difference in terminology between the British and American educational systems.

Anyway, in the USA we would expect that a "diploma in Business Administration" means a Bachelor's degree of some kind (BA, BS, etc.) and "Post Graduate Diploma in Management Studies" means a Master's degree. If this isn't the case, you'll need to explain to a prospective employer what those diplomas signify.

Regards, JEff
A diploma isn't a bachelors degree. It's like getting most of the credits but falling short for instance.

Anyway, if one has a masters, that's all that counts really. Might make a difference for educational positions, but for most others it won't make a difference, it's the last highest bit of education that counts.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about in the USA, the UK, or both?

Here in the USA, from what I've seen, after the high school level one doesn't get a diploma without getting a degree - if one doesn't complete all of the credits for the degree they don't get a diploma.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
A diploma isn't a bachelors degree. It's like getting most of the credits but falling short for instance.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the USA, from what I've seen, after the high school level one doesn't get a diploma without getting a degree - if one doesn't complete all of the credits for the degree they don't get a diploma.

Regards, JEff
The UK.

There's also a reason why some folks don't get a degree with honours, it's down to credits rather than studying an extra year like it often is in the US.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 6:44 pm

Thanks!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
The UK.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 2:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, Jeff
A school friend of mine enrolled in an agricultural college that only gave diplomas, but the diploma was sufficient to enroll in a university masters degree. All this was in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean you won the Green Card Lottery so can enter the US with or without a job?

An employer may ask you to verify your qualifications to find out the US equivalent. (There's a phrase for this but it doesn't come to mind right now.) Basically you (or the employer) hires a company to assess your particular degree (e.g. Masters from XXX uni) and say whether it's equivalent (or better) that the qualification required for the post you want to fill. It will depend on the job though, and I don't know much about banking or marketing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.