Wikiposts

NJ and NY

Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:06 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: NJ and NY

Originally Posted by coral11680
I lived in Edison for 9 years (now back in the UK). I liked it there. Not sure how long it takes to travel to NY about 45 mins on the train I think from either Edison or Metuchen Train station. Menlo Mall and Woodbridge Mall are close by.
And there are some great Indian shops and restaurants in Oak Tree Rd, Iselin (Metropark exit on the Garden State Parkway) nr Edison....it's like being in Southall, Middlesex nr. Heathrow airport!

There is a large expat Indian community in Iselin so it's a great place to go for a curry or Indian sweets (desserts & snacks), v. cheap spices and the groceries sell loads of British products eg. Ribena, Bird's custard powder, Pear's soap, Imperial Leather soap, Vimto, Lucozade, orange squash etc. etc. I've bought some Bollywood movies from one of the numerous shops on Oak Tree Rd and enjoy looking at all the lovely saris in the shops (although the Indian gold jewellery looks garish to me).

It's a fun place to be on a warm weekend evening for 'people watching' as all the families go for a walk in their nice clothes, whilst all the young 'hot' guys are showing their cars off to impress their mates and the girls...
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice
Default Re: NJ and NY

I'm in Gillette - a bit further out than Short Hills.

Its about 1hr 30 into Wall Street each day (I take the ferry from Hoboken). We've got about 0.5 acre on a hill overlooking the valley. I do prefer the slightly rural areas over the busy towns closer in but I work in Parsippany a couple of days a week normally so the longer commute to the city is fine with me on those days.

After leaving the UK and moving here a year ago - it appears that my new employer wants me to go back to London as an expat

Can't manage to stay in one place these days!