Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Lakewood ranch fl from uk

Moving to Lakewood ranch fl from uk

Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

wilma 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Lakewood ranch fl from uk

Hi there we are moving to Florida this year, our house has just gone on the market and we are going to move into a rented house once it's sold so that as soon as our business and visa are sorted we can make the move straight away without delay. We have 3 children a 12 year old who is 13 in April a nearly 5 yr old and a baby 8month. We are just wanting a better family life, my husband is working so many long hours over here we just don't see him, I know it'll be hard with our business in Florida but at least we will be working for ourselves.

We have been planning this for about 4 years now so we have done so much research we feel like we already live there!!

Does anyone have any advise on things that they have done moving there and your experiences? Any advise would be welcome.
I am very close to my family and friends over here, and I know I am going to miss them all like crazy, people keep telling me it takes years to feel totally settled, is this true? Any stories on the same things?

Thank you so much. x
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Lakewood ranch fl from uk

Originally Posted by wilma 1
We are just wanting a better family life, my husband is working so many long hours over here we just don't see him
Then why on earth would you move to America, home of the notoriously long working hours and lack of time off?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

wilma 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant be anything like what my husband is doing at the min. We know it's still going to be hard but we are just so sick of England!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. Don't know what your business is but I wouldn't bank on him working less than 60-80 hours a week, no day off and no vacation for a while. That's just based on people I know who run their own businesses, some work a lot more. I hope it works out but if I was looking at working less hours I would move to somewhere in Europe rather than the US. No visa issues to worry about, no worry that you may have to pack up and leave the country on a moments notice and better working hours.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilma 1
Cant be anything like what my husband is doing at the min. We know it's still going to be hard but we are just so sick of England!
I would not bet on it.

Are you gambling your lives' savings on an E2 visa by any chance? The one without any kind of security, without a path to permanent residency, and where your kids have to leave once they turn 21?

I guess you will have thought this through...... I hope...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

First thing to do, search over past threads and also the wiki, plenty of advice to get you going.

Working less hours in the US was pretty amusing though...but good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, what a cheery, positive and motivational bunch you lot are.
To the OP - it's probably for the best if you cancel all of your plans and any thoughts of an interesting new chapter in your life - and simply kill yourself.
That way, nothing in this miserable, depressing existence that we call living, can possibly hurt you anymore.
The USA is not for you - to be British and live here, you must be bitter, cynical, clinically depressed and revel in the prospect of any opportunity to belittle, crush spirit, piss and moan about our hosts and generally be a miserable bastard.
For what it's worth, I love living here, miss very little about the UK, have had my fair share of difficulties - but have also had a lot more positive experiences than negative ones. I'm not unique, I'm sure.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I would not bet on it.

Are you gambling your lives' savings on an E2 visa by any chance? The one without any kind of security, without a path to permanent residency, and where your kids have to leave once they turn 21?

I guess you will have thought this through...... I hope...
You're such a ray of sunshine, Elvira. What's your story - where are you these days? In the UK? Did you lose your visa or something?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What do you expect? The US is world renowned for long working hours and people not taking vacation, and that's when they work for somebody else. Everyone I know who works for themselves has had to put in a huge amount of time initially to get the business up and running. When somebody says they are moving here to work their own business and work less, it raises eyebrows.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:17 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I must be the only one who sees more of her hubby here than she did in the UK. And he kept his 5 weeks hols which is why everyone at the office hates him
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can not think what it could be if not an E2.

A lot of things are configured around the visa, but I guess medical insurance etc will be a biggie when there are 5 of you.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We don't even know what to do with ourselves this year, for the first time in 25 years of marriage in the US, My Dh has three weeks of vacation time First time ever! Hows that? (and this is true by the way, we've stll never had a honeymoon and he got a day off for each of the children's births, unpaid)
Don't count on more family time in the US, it's a matter of fact, unless you are a lucky transfer that kept your UK holiday allowance when you came over.

So welcome to the US and have a smooth transition. really, I do mean it.
Get all the family in the UK set up with skype so you and the kids can talk to them regularly for free
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Jesus, what a cheery, positive and motivational bunch you lot are.
To the OP - it's probably for the best if you cancel all of your plans and any thoughts of an interesting new chapter in your life - and simply kill yourself.
That way, nothing in this miserable, depressing existence that we call living, can possibly hurt you anymore.
The USA is not for you - to be British and live here, you must be bitter, cynical, clinically depressed and revel in the prospect of any opportunity to belittle, crush spirit, piss and moan about our hosts and generally be a miserable bastard.
For what it's worth, I love living here, miss very little about the UK, have had my fair share of difficulties - but have also had a lot more positive experiences than negative ones. I'm not unique, I'm sure.
What? People don't work more hours here? People don't have less free time and holiday?

It's just an observation, many reasons for moving to the US, but generally for better working conditions and time wouldn't be anywhere on the list.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure in their minds, "The infinite amount of sunshine and warm winters will make up for it". Course there is like what? 6-8 month long summer?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Pretty sure in their minds, "The infinite amount of sunshine and warm winters will make up for it". Course there is like what? 6-8 month long summer?
More like year round summer (compared to UK), with insufferable heat during the actual summer months.
Sunshine is overrated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.