Nicknames

Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all
Default Nicknames

I see we all have stamped our own preferred name for our alias on BE, but what about those horrid names you were given at school, or at work.
My last name is Welch – which somehow evolved into Squelch, which then became squelchy and then finally Squashy.
I expect my kids will also be landed with similar treatment with this surname when they go to school. I expect if my last name had been Carpenter it would have been Chippy, or if I came from Wales it would have been called Taff.

Not too sure if Americans adopt nicknames like we do in England.

Do you miss being called by your nickname or are you glad you left it behind in Blighty
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:13 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nicknames

Mine's 'Gruffer' as in farts a lot, hence my alias, got it at school and it's stuck with me ever since.....I'm 46

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
I see we all have stamped our own preferred name for our alias on BE, but what about those horrid names you were given at school, or at work.
My last name is Welch – which somehow evolved into Squelch, which then became squelchy and then finally Squashy.
I expect my kids will also be landed with similar treatment with this surname when they go to school. I expect if my last name had been Carpenter it would have been Chippy, or if I came from Wales it would have been called Taff.

Not too sure if Americans adopt nicknames like we do in England.

Do you miss being called by your nickname or are you glad you left it behind in Blighty
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Mine's 'Gruffer' as in farts a lot, hence my alias, got it at school and it's stuck with me ever since.....I'm 46
Mine was 'melons' as in 'big tits' ... hated it and ended up going on a diet so I could get rid of them!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

Yes some nicknames stick you like mud.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:28 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

yeah your right there. Where, in Chicago Hammer? We used to live in Downers Grove
Yes some nicknames stick you like mud.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My maiden name is England, so I used to get called loads of different countries instead, it really got on my nerves. Actually I hated my surname until I got my first job and then being called 'Miss England' was quite cool.

My horrible brother used to call me 'Maggot' I hated it, one day out of the blue he started calling me 'Lucy' because for some reason he thought I would hate it too?? I obviously played along and told him to stop otherwise he would have changed it back to maggot.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

yeah your right there. Where, in Chicago Hammer? We used to live in Downers Grove
Live in Mount Prospect, and work downtown. two blocks West of the Sears Tower.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:39 pm

lol

Wife used to work opposite Sears on W. Adams

Live in Mount Prospect, and work downtown. two blocks West of the Sears Tower.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

lol

Wife used to work opposite Sears on W. Adams
Nice to meet you -
I have seen Schaumburg, Naperville and other local towns mentioned in various threads. Seems there is a strong presence of Brits in the NW Suburbs. Never run into them though. Usually watch the big footie matches downtown and most of the Brits who I hook up with then are in the Loop or North Shore. Chicago is a great place.... we are just about used to the Winters now.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:50 pm

We moved here last July, the wife got a job in Philly she couldn't refuse, she was born and bred there. We miss it badly, it's a great city, love to move back there someday..............Cubs or Sox?

Nice to meet you -
I have seen Schaumburg, Naperville and other local towns mentioned in various threads. Seems there is a strong presence of Brits in the NW Suburbs. Never run into them though. Usually watch the big footie matches downtown and most of the Brits who I hook up with then are in the Loop or North Shore. Chicago is a great place.... we are just about used to the Winters now.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Bushranger is an unknown quantity at this point

My nickname at school was 'Magic'. I was very proud of it because it was bestowed upon me by others and could have been a lot worst considering that.

The reasons why I was called Magic were disputed but it stuck it was soemthign to do with soccer skills. I thought it was because I was the best player on the team - other says it was because I was the worst.

Anyway it's was a great nickname. Strangers were always impressed with it and I wish I still had it now.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

We moved here last July, the wife got a job in Philly she couldn't refuse, she was born and bred there. We miss it badly, it's a great city, love to move back there someday..............Cubs or Sox?
I have to confess the Cubs, but I am disappointed when such a big city can host such a bunch of under achieving sports teams. I missed the Bulls dynasty of the 90's - we moved to Illinois from Kansas in 98. I've always supported West Ham and they're not the biggest or richest team in the world, but every now and then they achieve something.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:02 pm

Underachieving teams, it's a Chicago thing, we're big Cubs fans, I think an afternoon at Wrigley is still one of the great experiences you can get in this country and I'm pretty cynical, got tickets for all 3 games at Philly in August, went to a Bears game once and almost fell asleep, 3 friggin hours to play the game, did you get to see England play in Chicago last month?

I have to confess the Cubs, but I am disappointed when such a big city can host such a bunch of under achieving sports teams. I missed the Bulls dynasty of the 90's - we moved to Illinois from Kansas in 98. I've always supported West Ham and they're not the biggest or richest team in the world, but every now and then they achieve something.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Underachieving teams, it's a Chicago thing, we're big Cubs fans, I think an afternoon at Wrigley is still one of the great experiences you can get in this country and I'm pretty cynical, got tickets for all 3 games at Philly in August, went to a Bears game once and almost fell asleep, 3 friggin hours to play the game, did you get to see England play in Chicago last month?
As luck would have it we all flew back to England the week England played Chicago. Mind you it was great to watch Liverpool beat AC Milan in a pub full of people back in England. What a night !!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:06 pm

Damn I miss pubs

As luck would have it we all flew back to England the week England played Chicago. Mind you it was great to watch Liverpool beat AC Milan in a pub full of people back in England. What a night !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.