Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NHS Eligibility in the long term

Wikiposts

NHS Eligibility in the long term

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS Eligibility in the long term

I have a question about my eligibility to use the NHS in the future.
Having spent the past 14 months in the UK, (for an L1B eligibility year) I have now an increased respect for the NHS.
I have been fortunate to have been in good health for the 14 years that I have been an expatriate having left the UK straight after uni and not paid tax or NI in UK until I returned in 2007.
If my plans work out and I end up living in the US for the rest of my working life, can I use the NHS should I get (very) sick in the future? Say later in life when not on company provided health insurance. I do have and will have the best medical insurance I can buy but will the fact that I have not paid any NI into the system (except for this 16 months or so) invalidate me from using the NHS. Ethically it probably should but the story on broken dreams due to bad health, here on the forum made me realise how quickly things can go wrong when faced with a major illness and therefore huge expenses.

Living in the US is an expensive business!!

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Eligibility in the long term

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I have a question about my eligibility to use the NHS in the future.
Having spent the past 14 months in the UK, (for an L1B eligibility year) I have now an increased respect for the NHS.
I have been fortunate to have been in good health for the 14 years that I have been an expatriate having left the UK straight after uni and not paid tax or NI in UK until I returned in 2007.
If my plans work out and I end up living in the US for the rest of my working life, can I use the NHS should I get (very) sick in the future? Say later in life when not on company provided health insurance. I do have and will have the best medical insurance I can buy but will the fact that I have not paid any NI into the system (except for this 16 months or so) invalidate me from using the NHS. Ethically it probably should but the story on broken dreams due to bad health, here on the forum made me realise how quickly things can go wrong when faced with a major illness and therefore huge expenses.

Thanks
The NHS is for residents of the UK. As in people living in the UK. You would be entitled to NHS care if you moved back to the UK.

Anyone is entitled to free emergency/life-saving care, though the NHS does try to claim back some of the expenses.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:00 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The NHS is for residents of the UK. As in people living in the UK. You would be entitled to NHS care if you moved back to the UK.

Anyone is entitled to free emergency/life-saving care, though the NHS does try to claim back some of the expenses.
correct although i would like to make clear it is not free as such....the UK tax payers foot the bill.

Last edited by TruBrit; Nov 2nd 2008 at 1:05 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:02 am
Account Closed

I

Thanks
it certainly is and you had best make sure you have good medical cover whilst living in the USA.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - this is reassuring to know for the future.

I was surprised 4 or 5 years ago to receive a letter from HMS saying that I could make up my contributions so that I would receive a state pension at 65. As someone who has paid very little by way of tax and NI, I didn't think this was very fair to all those who had paid all their life as I only needed to send them about 3 or 4 thousand pounds. I believe they have recently changed this and you have to have 30 years of contributions to be eligible? Not sure if you can make up the shortfall anymore?

I would hope that at that time in my life, I wouldn't be dependant on 80 pounds a week from HMS to make ends meet. But you never know!!

Last edited by Orangepants; Nov 2nd 2008 at 3:11 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but even in today's money, £80 a week is over $500 a month. It's worth having.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Yeah but even in today's money, £80 a week is over $500 a month. It's worth having.
Yes - you could use it to pay at least some small part of your US health insurance premiums ...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If my plans work out and I end up living in the US for the rest of my working life, can I use the NHS should I get (very) sick in the future? Say later in life when not on company provided health insurance. I do have and will have the best medical insurance I can buy but will the fact that I have not paid any NI into the system (except for this 16 months or so) invalidate me from using the NHS.
Visitors to the United Kingdom (even British citizens living overseas) cannot use the NHS.

At the same time, under current law there is nothing to stop you moving back to the United Kingdom later in life when you are sick, and immediately using the NHS.

That may be easier said than done though, even if you are still a British citizen. Later in life, if you are well settled in the United States, have your home, friends and support network in the U.S., moving back to Britain when you are sick would be a huge deal.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

But then you wonder what the NHS will be by then.

Can not continue indefinitely as is.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Later in life, if you are well settled in the United States, have your home, friends and support network in the U.S., moving back to Britain when you are sick would be a huge deal.
... and for some people it may also have unpleasant tax consequences if the US decides that they have relinquished their US residence for the purpose of avoiding US taxes ...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Visitors to the United Kingdom (even British citizens living overseas) cannot use the NHS.
I don't think this is strictly true. I went home just over a year ago with my then 2 yr old. He spiked a fever (double ear infections) and we got him in to the dr within an hour of calling the National Health hotline, on a Saturday. So maybe its only visitors over the age of 16 that can't use the NHS?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Janek66
I don't think this is strictly true. I went home just over a year ago with my then 2 yr old. He spiked a fever (double ear infections) and we got him in to the dr within an hour of calling the National Health hotline, on a Saturday. So maybe its only visitors over the age of 16 that can't use the NHS?
that's great news you had him seen immediately...good old NHS.

emergencies <which sounds like your son's was> for any age group are paid for by the UK tax payers.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
All visitors to the UK are entitled to use the NHS for emergency treatment...age and nationality are irrelevant.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
All visitors to the UK are entitled to use the NHS for emergency treatment...age and nationality are irrelevant.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374
What a ridiculously generous country!

I am sure people take advantage of this generosity.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
What a ridiculously generous country!

I am sure people take advantage of this generosity.
I was thrilled. I kept stating that we were USC (despite my accent) and asking if there was anything they needed to see or we needed to pay but no.

Ridiculous....not at all, totally humane and sensible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.