Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newbie with a question

Newbie with a question

Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

CaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enoughCaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enough
Default Newbie with a question

Hi there! I moved from Caledonia to California in '92, took out US citizenship in '00, and moved my elderly parents out here last year. Can say without qualms that I consider myself an American. Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

My experience is not untypical of the Home Countries ex-pats I know out here (and I live near Santa Monica so I know a few) BUT it is my impression - and it is only an impression - that Scots (and Irish) are more likely to take out citizenship and make an emotional break from the Old Country. A good number of English folk I know remain ambivalent, and a small number are fairly hostile towards the U.S, even as they live here.

Is this anyone else's impression? And if so, why?
Old Dec 9th 2003, 11:14 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie with a question

Originally posted by CaledonCaliforn
Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

Welcome to BritishExpats Caledon!

My daughter wouldn't wait so she was born on July 1st... but I later found out that that is Princess Diana's Birth date!

-- Back to your question. I remain sentimental about my home land, changing citizenship feels like letting go of my identity in some way. I don't always feel american (not that I should) but, will be doing the citizenship thing next year anyway. It will be for voting reasons etc. I have lived in Connecticut for 16 years... I moved here when I was 20, so that is almost half my life.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but, I love where I live and have not ever felt hostility towards America even once.

The only hostility that does spring to mind is from online ex-pats!

Maybe it's an internet thing?
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CaledonCaliforn
Hi there! I moved from Caledonia to California in '92, took out US citizenship in '00, and moved my elderly parents out here last year. Can say without qualms that I consider myself an American. Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

My experience is not untypical of the Home Countries ex-pats I know out here (and I live near Santa Monica so I know a few) BUT it is my impression - and it is only an impression - that Scots (and Irish) are more likely to take out citizenship and make an emotional break from the Old Country. A good number of English folk I know remain ambivalent, and a small number are fairly hostile towards the U.S, even as they live here.

Is this anyone else's impression? And if so, why?

Well, there is a difference between being hostile and being critical. I could say that "new" Americans sometimes feel super-patriotic and think they have to back-up everything that comes from their new adopted country.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

CaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enoughCaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bookworm
Well, there is a difference between being hostile and being critical. I could say that "new" Americans sometimes feel super-patriotic and think they have to back-up everything that comes from their new adopted country.

Well, I'm a Dean in 04 man and a card-carrying member of the ACLU, so you may assume that I don't feel the need to back up "everything" that comes from my new adopted country or indulge in super-patriotism.

I do have an attitude of positive commitment to the U.S - I regard it not so much a great country as a great idea.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

As an American born and bred, I don't have a problem with hostility toward my homeland. The fact is, America is probably the most hated country in the world, for one reason or another. Foreign policy, being a superpower, being the worlds richest nation, being seen as a nation of overstuffed arrogant buffoons or all of the above.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:55 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

It brings back the age old question about brits not liking it when others seem to be doing better than them!

There's a certain tone of (I wanna say cynisism but I'm sure that's not spelt correctly)... I have encountered brits online that were downright viscous. Encroaching each other like a flock of halyard gulls waiting to take the bones.

I seriously doubt that I will ever be going home. I'd like to visit, but I can wait!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:11 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Couldn't have put it any better myself....hear hear