British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Newbie with a question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/newbie-question-195976/)

CaledonCaliforn Dec 9th 2003 11:00 pm

Newbie with a question

Hi there! I moved from Caledonia to California in '92, took out US citizenship in '00, and moved my elderly parents out here last year. Can say without qualms that I consider myself an American. Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

My experience is not untypical of the Home Countries ex-pats I know out here (and I live near Santa Monica so I know a few) BUT it is my impression - and it is only an impression - that Scots (and Irish) are more likely to take out citizenship and make an emotional break from the Old Country. A good number of English folk I know remain ambivalent, and a small number are fairly hostile towards the U.S, even as they live here.

Is this anyone else's impression? And if so, why?

BrigieDarling Dec 9th 2003 11:14 pm

Re: Newbie with a question

Originally posted by CaledonCaliforn
Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

Welcome to BritishExpats Caledon! :D

My daughter wouldn't wait so she was born on July 1st... but I later found out that that is Princess Diana's Birth date!

-- Back to your question. I remain sentimental about my home land, changing citizenship feels like letting go of my identity in some way. I don't always feel american (not that I should) but, will be doing the citizenship thing next year anyway. It will be for voting reasons etc. I have lived in Connecticut for 16 years... I moved here when I was 20, so that is almost half my life.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but, I love where I live and have not ever felt hostility towards America even once.

The only hostility that does spring to mind is from online ex-pats!

Maybe it's an internet thing?

Bookworm Dec 10th 2003 12:16 am

Originally posted by CaledonCaliforn
Hi there! I moved from Caledonia to California in '92, took out US citizenship in '00, and moved my elderly parents out here last year. Can say without qualms that I consider myself an American. Even my daughter was born on the 4th of July!

My experience is not untypical of the Home Countries ex-pats I know out here (and I live near Santa Monica so I know a few) BUT it is my impression - and it is only an impression - that Scots (and Irish) are more likely to take out citizenship and make an emotional break from the Old Country. A good number of English folk I know remain ambivalent, and a small number are fairly hostile towards the U.S, even as they live here.

Is this anyone else's impression? And if so, why?

Well, there is a difference between being hostile and being critical. I could say that "new" Americans sometimes feel super-patriotic and think they have to back-up everything that comes from their new adopted country.

CaledonCaliforn Dec 10th 2003 12:30 am

Originally posted by Bookworm
Well, there is a difference between being hostile and being critical. I could say that "new" Americans sometimes feel super-patriotic and think they have to back-up everything that comes from their new adopted country.

Well, I'm a Dean in 04 man and a card-carrying member of the ACLU, so you may assume that I don't feel the need to back up "everything" that comes from my new adopted country or indulge in super-patriotism.

I do have an attitude of positive commitment to the U.S - I regard it not so much a great country as a great idea.

Jabba1 Dec 10th 2003 12:52 am

As an American born and bred, I don't have a problem with hostility toward my homeland. The fact is, America is probably the most hated country in the world, for one reason or another. Foreign policy, being a superpower, being the worlds richest nation, being seen as a nation of overstuffed arrogant buffoons or all of the above.

BrigieDarling Dec 10th 2003 2:55 pm

It brings back the age old question about brits not liking it when others seem to be doing better than them!

There's a certain tone of (I wanna say cynisism but I'm sure that's not spelt correctly)... I have encountered brits online that were downright viscous. Encroaching each other like a flock of halyard gulls waiting to take the bones.

I seriously doubt that I will ever be going home. I'd like to visit, but I can wait!

JulianB Dec 11th 2003 6:11 pm

Couldn't have put it any better myself....hear hear :D