Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

newbie - Looking to move to the USA

newbie - Looking to move to the USA

Old May 30th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

beccaboo14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie - Looking to move to the USA

hi, my husband and I are looking to emigrate to florida,he has family there and has been visiting there last month. I have never been their before but we are planning a 3 wk stay nxt year for me to sample it. I know I wont get the feel but he taking me where he wants to live (non touristy) part. so fingers crossed
Old May 30th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie

Good luck.

Is your husband a US citizen? If not what visa do you qualify for?
Old May 30th 2014, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie - Looking to move to the USA

Old May 30th 2014, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

he is going to phone us embassy as he was born on an American airbase to see where he stands as he chose to become british citizen when he was a teenager.
Old May 30th 2014, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beccaboo14
he is going to phone us embassy as he was born on an American airbase to see where he stands as he chose to become british citizen when he was a teenager.
I doubt the embassy can help him on that score. When was he born and what was the status of his parents at the time? I could be wrong but I don't think there is any choosing of citizenship (though I think there was at one point).

Last edited by sir_eccles; May 30th 2014 at 5:48 pm.
Old May 30th 2014, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

he was born in 1980 and his mum and dad were married at the time but split 30 years ago, his dad went back to America.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

he was born in 1980 and his mum and dad were married at the time but split 30 years ago, his dad went back to America.
One wonders if he is still a USC. Perhaps gather all evidence, birth certificates etc and apply for a US passport or consult with an attorney familiar with citizenship issues.

Of course if he is, he may have to register for selective service (may have aged out now), file some taxes etc.
Old May 30th 2014, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

thank you for ur advice.
Old May 30th 2014, 7:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

More chance then most that come onto this forum, that's for sure

First step would be to ascertain his status - is he a USC? If so file taxes, perhaps a US Passport etc before he gets started on an I-130 for your visa.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks he has got things out so nxt week we are sending them off. Fingers crossed!
Old May 30th 2014, 10:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Being born on a U.S. airbase does not count as birth in the United States, however he may have derived U.S. citizenship from a parent. In 1980 the rule (with one U.S. parent, and born within marriage) that the parent had spent 10 years in the U.S., including 5 after the age of 14. There may be some concession that time outside the U.S. while in the military counts, you would need to do more research on that. Is he still in touch with his father?

And, assuming you mean a U.S. airbase in Britain, he didn't "choose" to become a British citizen when a teenager. He already was one, by birth.
Old May 31st 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

hi his dad is a us citizen and my husband lived in us when he was younger and he used to hold a us passport but when that run out he applied for a British passport not another us one,not British citizenship.
and according to his dad he has dual citzten ship
Old May 31st 2014, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

hi his dad is a us citizen and my husband lived in us when he was younger and he used to hold a us passport but when that run out he applied for a British passport not another us one,not British citizenship.
and according to his dad he has dual citzten ship
Your husband should have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. If not, he will need to replace it.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...th-abroad.html

Does he still have his old U.S. passport? If he lived in the U.S. before, has he got a Social Security Number?
Old May 31st 2014, 4:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

and according to his dad he has dual citizen ship
If he had a US passport that is almost certainly definitive of citizenship, and he just needs to apply for a new passport. If he had citizenship he would have had to specifically sworn it away as, as for the UK, if you acquired it by birth it doesn't just expire or disappear if you acquire citizenship of another country.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If he had a US passport that is almost certainly definitive of citizenship, and he just needs to apply for a new passport. If he had citizenship he would have had to specifically sworn it away as, as for the UK, if you acquired it by birth it doesn't just expire or disappear if you acquire citizenship of another country.
Except that a U.S. passport that was issued more than 15 years ago, or before the age of 16, is not acceptable for renewal. He will likely need to re-evidence U.S. citizenship from stand-alone documentation.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...rts/renew.html