Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Newark Airport Quickpak Facility

Newark Airport Quickpak Facility

Old May 1st 2014, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newark Airport Quickpak Facility

Hi All

Travelling with my 2 dogs next week from Manchester to Newark on United and have a few queries (not to mention the predictable worries and stresses about safety and welfare of pets).

I have just found out that the airtrain connection from terminal B (where i land) to terminal C (petsafe quickpak facility, where i collect dogs) is out of service - I'm assuming it is possible for me to just walk between the 2 terminals with a suitcase and hand luggage? Is there any short-cut or easy route that I should be aware of?

I've been told that I may have a lengthy wait to collect the dogs, has anyone got recent experience of this? I've arranged for a pet taxi to take me up to CT, but I guess he wont want to be hanging around for hours while i wait for the dogs to clear customs.

Finally, what exactly does clearing customs entail? Do i just need to show vaccination certificates? I dont really understand why it could take hours.

Apologies, I know these are pretty basic queries, I have phoned Newark but unable to get the detail I needed (bad phone line plus I have scottish accent which was incomprehensible for the lady at the other end!).

Thanks in advance.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newark Airport Quickpak Facility

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Travelling with my 2 dogs next week from Manchester to Newark on United and have a few queries

I have just found out that the airtrain connection from terminal B (where i land) to terminal C (petsafe quickpak facility, where i collect dogs) is out of service - I'm assuming it is possible for me to just walk between the 2 terminals with a suitcase and hand luggage? Is there any short-cut or easy route that I should be aware of?

I've been told that I may have a lengthy wait to collect the dogs, has anyone got recent experience of this? I've arranged for a pet taxi to take me up to CT, but I guess he wont want to be hanging around for hours while i wait for the dogs to clear customs.

Finally, what exactly does clearing customs entail? Do i just need to show vaccination certificates? I dont really understand why it could take hours.

Apologies, I know these are pretty basic queries, I have phoned Newark but unable to get the detail I needed (bad phone line plus I have scottish accent which was incomprehensible for the lady at the other end!).
Hi...
Saw no one had replied yet - and as a dog lover - really felt for you.
I googled, made several phone calls etc. - and can see why you were frustrated ....but I persevered and:

1) Yes - The "airtrain connection" is temporarily out of service
2) In it's place - shuttle buses are being provided; you will see orange signs saying "AirTrain cancelled........." and pointing to where you board these buses (they apparently run frequently) and will bring you to the facility where you'll pick up your dogs)
3) They wanted to know your name and day of travel. Said I was unsure of what name you were booked under and that I was unsure of day of travel but that it was a weekday ( a "shot in the dark"...didn't want to say didn't know again - lest they hang up on me). They looked up the weekday Manchester -> Newark flight arrival time - and said it would take about 2 hours for pets to clear customs. Once that's occurred - could be an additional 1/2 hr for a person to be assigned to deliver your dogs to you (? I think that's what she was implying)...so figure 2 to 2 and half hours total. (Could be different on a weekend ??)
4)***She said - in order to expedite matters - Manchester should send a pre-alert to EWR Quick Pack Office/Pet Safe.......which presumably includes your name and flight info etc etc plus the relevant ID info re: your dogs
5) Here's the number you should call if you want further info:
973-681-0613
I spoke to "Nadia" who can be reached at that number (above) between 5:00AM - 1:30PM eastern time. She was extremely helpful - tho not easy to understand her accent for me - so ....good luck with that

Hope this helps a bit......
Old May 1st 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived with our dog at Newark last year. However, we flew with Virgin and used a pet transport service, but I think the procedure must be similar. We also had to allow a couple of hours for customs clearance. TBH, we actually flew the day before our dog as it would have been very difficult to manage the huge crate along with our 6 suitcases. For anyone reading this, the cargo centre for Virgin is about 3.5 miles away from the main terminal and you need transport to get there.

When we collected our dog I just had to show my passport as ID, although we also took her pet passport and the copies of any paperwork we had.

One point to note - we had to pay a $40 import fee when collecting our dog. This payment could only be made in cash so it is worth checking if this applies in your case, or just make sure you have some dollars with you.

Our dog's flight arrived around 7pm (in mid June). We didn't have any problems collecting her and everything had gone smoothly. She was lying down in her crate, looking a little sorry for herself but when she heard our voices she stood up and began wagging her tail. She was a little manic the first night at home, but then settled down. The only other warning I would give you is that she had an upset tummy a few days in (due to the change of food and environment). We were advised to feed her some canned pumpkin (get this from the pet shop, not the stuff that you would use for a pie!) which did the trick.

Good luck with your move!
Old May 1st 2014, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much to you both for the info, MMcD you really have been so very generous and kind with your help my dogs send you a big waggy tail and friendly paw! The import fee also really useful to know, and I’m guessing I will have to pay double for 2 dogs, so will ensure I have enough cash. All your tips and info incredibly helpful, I cant say I feel any less stressed and worried, but at least I am more confident about the process, I will be making a note of nadia’s number and giving her a call. The pumpkin tip is really interesting, will try that…. Was intending to just go for pasta and chicken for a few days, but pumpkin seems a bit tastier. Thank again, very much appreciated.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Thank you so much my dogs send you a big waggy tail and friendly paw! I will be making a note of nadia’s number and giving her a call.
Awwwww. I love it
Give them both a tummy tickle from me.
Good luck - try not to stress too much (easier said than done, I know)