Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York: Whats the weather like?

New York: Whats the weather like?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:19 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default New York: Whats the weather like?

Hi all

Just a wee thread to find out what the weathers like in NYC at the moment, I am coming over to your city on Thursday for a few days and want to be prepared for the weather, whatever its likely to be!!

Thanks

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:25 pm
  #2  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,727
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

cold, lots of snow...
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:30 pm
  #3  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,735
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi all

Just a wee thread to find out what the weathers like in NYC at the moment, I am coming over to your city on Thursday for a few days and want to be prepared for the weather, whatever its likely to be!!

Thanks

Bill

Go to www.weather.com search for NYC and get the 10 day forecast. Tuesday around 50, believe rain on Wednesday.

Hey you are in time to see the Gates of Central Park which opened on Saturday. 23 miles of materials ....

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...eatures/10897/
Rete is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:35 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by Rete
Go to www.weather.com search for NYC and get the 10 day forecast. Tuesday around 50, believe rain on Wednesday.

Hey you are in time to see the Gates of Central Park which opened on Saturday. 23 miles of materials ....

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/...eatures/10897/

Hi Rete

We get to NY on thursday, its funny but we saw the 'material' thing on the news last night, we saw the snow in Central Park also, it is snowing in Scotland right now, hope yours is gone by thursday!!

Is it bloody cold??

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:51 pm
  #5  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 91,727
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Is it bloody cold??
it's all relative....at the mo, in maine, it's 25F and that's boiling warm after a few weeks of -25F....
still have a scarf, decent gloves and a hat though
Bob is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:59 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,735
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi Rete

We get to NY on thursday, its funny but we saw the 'material' thing on the news last night, we saw the snow in Central Park also, it is snowing in Scotland right now, hope yours is gone by thursday!!

Is it bloody cold??

Bill
As Bob said, bring hat, scarf and gloves. Today is in the low 40's F and actually quite nice. Blue skys, no clouds, lots of sun. Evenings are in the 20's and 30's and yes you will be cold walking about. As for snow, most of it is gone with the exception of mounds of snow which was pushed to the side to clear roadways and sidewalks. You won't find any snow on Park Avenue. Believe you will be at the Waldorf.
Rete is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:32 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by Rete
As Bob said, bring hat, scarf and gloves. Today is in the low 40's F and actually quite nice. Blue skys, no clouds, lots of sun. Evenings are in the 20's and 30's and yes you will be cold walking about. As for snow, most of it is gone with the exception of mounds of snow which was pushed to the side to clear roadways and sidewalks. You won't find any snow on Park Avenue. Believe you will be at the Waldorf.

Thanks for the advice Bob, Rete

Yes we are staying in the Waldorf Rete and really looking forward to that very much!!

Have got a hat and gloves but need to get the scarf tommorow

Cant wait to get there!!!

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:50 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

If you need transportation to your hotel from the airport, I would highly recommend that you take a limo service in a Lincoln Town car.....it's actually cheaper, more spacious and stylish than taking a (clapped out) taxi from the airport. Here's an example; taxis from Newark (EWR) cost $55-60 + $6 for going under the Holland or Lincoln tunnels + tip. The websites below list the fare in a limo: $43 or $44. You can also book online. Drivers usually expect a tip of 15% of the fare, 20% for exceptional service. Here's a couple of companies - I've personally used Carmel and they were fine:

http://www.carmellimo.com

http://www.dial7.com

As you enter the international arrivals hall after collecting your cases and clearing customs and immigration, you will see the Ground Transportation counter....here you will almost certainly find leaflets for the above limo companies where there should be a $5 discount coupon if you're paying the driver directly. There are also the courtesy phones to let the driver know you've arrived and you will be told which door to go to to meet him with the limo.
Englishmum is offline  
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:00 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you need transportation to your hotel from the airport, I would highly recommend that you take a limo service in a Lincoln Town car.....it's actually cheaper, more spacious and stylish than taking a (clapped out) taxi from the airport. Here's an example; taxis from Newark (EWR) cost $55-60 + $6 for going under the Holland or Lincoln tunnels + tip. The websites below list the fare in a limo: $43 or $44. You can also book online. Drivers usually expect a tip of 15% of the fare, 20% for exceptional service. Here's a couple of companies - I've personally used Carmel and they were fine:

http://www.carmellimo.com

http://www.dial7.com

As you enter the international arrivals hall after collecting your cases and clearing customs and immigration, you will see the Ground Transportation counter....here you will almost certainly find leaflets for the above limo companies where there should be a $5 discount coupon if you're paying the driver directly. There are also the courtesy phones to let the driver know you've arrived and you will be told which door to go to to meet him with the limo.

Thanks Dawn

The Limo is booked and will be waiting at JFK for us arriving!!!

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:36 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Thanks to all who have given me information on New York City over the past few weeks, we fly out tommorow and arrive 4.00pm tommorow afternoon.

Cant wait to get to the Big Apple

I'll be the one with the kilt on!!!

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:43 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Fantastic!!!

Hello to you all

Had a great time in NEW York and just beginning to sober up!!

Thanks for all your help and advice, you know who you are, it was very helpfull, but i wish i had taken onboard how cold it was going to be!!!
The wind really does go right through you!!!

Anyway you have a fantastic city, central park, mc sorleys bar, the empire state, the white horse, the cakes from the bakery in greenwich village, cow girls, chrysler building, statten island ferry, st andrews bar, times square.... the list goes on.

Ground Zero was haunting.

Thanks again

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:52 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,840
Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves! (BTW - what is the 'White Horse'? A bar?)

Did you go into Central Park to see the 'Gates'?

Yes, it's bitterly cold over here....actually I was thinking of you when it snowed and if you had suitable footwear LOL!

Are you moving to Oz later this year?
Englishmum is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:04 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Halpine Lake, Brisbane
Posts: 492
BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New York: Whats the weather like?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves! (BTW - what is the 'White Horse'? A bar?)

Did you go into Central Park to see the 'Gates'?

Yes, it's bitterly cold over here....actually I was thinking of you when it snowed and if you had suitable footwear LOL!

Are you moving to Oz later this year?

Hi Dawn

The 'white horse' is a bar in west village, just up from cow girls, we did see the gates, lots of orange carpet backing blowing in the wind, what a sight!!

We all had good boots on, so we were lucky, just wish i had taken a vest and long johns!!!

Still waiting on the Oz visa!!

Thanks again for your advice

Bill
BillnLinz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.