Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York trip

New York trip

Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default New York trip

'Just returned from seeing the parents in New York. First time there for all of us.
Absolutely fantastic experience. The only thing we didn't do was eat hotdogs from the street vendors. Or see a show.

Personal highlights:
- Observation deck of the Empire State Building.
- Staying at the Waldorf=Astoria.
- Drinking Manhattans in Manhattan.
- Hailing a cab! (Always wanted to do this.)
- Riding the subway.
- Visiting the Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Ground Zero, Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc.
- Seeing famous movie locations.
- Seeing the trash piled high and trucked off the island.
- People being New York assertive (actually, most people we met were really nice.)
- Being confused for a Jew and getting hassled by Hasidic Jews. That was precious.
- Freezing our asses off.

We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to go back. Magical experience.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York trip

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
'Just returned from seeing the parents in New York. First time there for all of us.
Absolutely fantastic experience. The only thing we didn't do was eat hotdogs from the street vendors. Or see a show.

Personal highlights:
- Observation deck of the Empire State Building.
- Staying at the Waldorf=Astoria.
- Riding the subway.
- Visiting the Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Ground Zero, Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc.
- Seeing famous movie locations.
- Seeing the trash piled high and trucked off the island.
- People being New York assertive (actually, most people we met were really nice.)
- Being confused for a Jew and getting hassled by Hasidic Jews. That was precious.
- Freezing our asses off.

We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to go back. Magical experience.
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I consider myself very lucky to live so close to NYC.

Unfortunately you were deprived of the best place to visit...the very top of the World Trade Centre.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:59 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Glad you enjoyed yourself. I consider myself very lucky to live so close to NYC.

Unfortunately you were deprived of the best place to visit...the very top of the World Trade Centre.
Thanks, but no thanks. After 9-11, you wouldn't get me up in a skyscraper.
On the observation deck of the ESB, my son told me to look up (he was looking for Dalek-anium metal) at the spire and I had a James Stewart/Vertigo moment. I literally could feel myself falling backwards.

Man, there are some hot looking girls in NY... I mean, 70-80% of them are just fine. It's the confidence thing, I think. Plus those tight jeans and boots. Yay for the latest fashion trend.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Nov 24th 2008 at 7:01 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:04 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

No cabs in Denver or do you drive?

- Riding the subway.

I enjoy this when going to a new city. But I get bored of it quick when it's day to day.

Do tell?

- Freezing our asses off
Come to Chicago. Lake Michigan keeps us warm, for a while. Unless you're from the other side of the lake or Northern Indiana....Lake affect snow...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, there are some hot looking girls in NY... I mean, 70-80% of them are just fine. It's the confidence thing, I think. Plus those tight jeans and boots. Yay for the latest fashion trend.
glad you had a good time...

London, New York, Paris they're the places for fashion
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

NYC is a very exciting place to visit, I love it. Not in the winter for me though, too cold. I like to ride the open double-decker bus, and that would be out. Glad you had a good time. Guess you are over your broken heart by now then?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:05 pm
Peace onion

I know I say this all the time but I love your name.

No, not over broken heart. That was the one thing missing. Someone to share it with, other than my family. I wish I had to someone to love and share it with.

I cut my head open on the double decker tour bus. After taking a pic from the open area, I was fumbling with my camera and didn't duck enough and hit smack bang on the aluminum frame. I saw stars and felt sick for a bit.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, not over broken heart. That was the one thing missing. Someone to share it with, other than my family. I wish I had to someone to love and share it with.

I cut my head open on the double decker tour bus. After taking a pic from the open area, I was fumbling with my camera and didn't duck enough and hit smack bang on the aluminum frame. I saw stars and felt sick for a bit.
OF...it's her loss not yours...someone more worthy of you will come along.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:09 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
No cabs in Denver or do you drive?

Do tell?

Come to Chicago. Lake Michigan keeps us warm, for a while. Unless you're from the other side of the lake or Northern Indiana....Lake affect snow...
Yeah, but I drive and cycle.
There were three orthodox guys and they were playfully teasing me for not wearing yarmulke etc, no being orthodox. I do look Jewish.

I will try Chicago some time soon, hopefully.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:14 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OF...it's her loss not yours...someone more worthy of you will come along.
Thanks, but not Anna's fault. A lot was mine. We're both sad being apart but weren't always happy together either. I think there comes a time when you either get married or have to go your separate ways. We got to that stage we were comfortable being with each other but the laughter had gone. Hopefully there is someone out there who can laugh at my lame jokes and find similar things funny. Who likes the 20s, 30s, art deco, old time radio, and reading. And zombie movies. Not just someone who will tolerate them.

Anyway, back on topic, NY was ace. As was San Fran and Portland.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well I never. You stayed at the Waldorf and didn't call me? I work on the other side of St. Barts.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
Peace onion

Well, Mme. Rete, next time I'm in town, I'll meet you at the Hyphen. A little black-tie soiree.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

yep, I know you do! LOL

I almost got hit in the hit by a tree branch on a double-decker in Oxford, while in UK. No time to be fumbling with cameras!
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but I drive and cycle.
There were three orthodox guys and they were playfully teasing me for not wearing yarmulke etc, no being orthodox. I do look Jewish.
I think its just your Hat ..

Last edited by Ray; Nov 24th 2008 at 10:54 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

I'm officially totally excited now about visiting! I should be spending a few weeks in July!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.